Anyone own/shoot an M1917 revolver?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
I'd like a real M1917 revolver... .45ACP...

I've seen some good basic info on them, some of the history, proof marks, serial numbers, etc.

Anyone own one? Anyone shoot one regularly?

I'm curious how you fully know if the gun is good to shoot with commercial .45ACP (I'd generally look for lower pressure rounds) regularly at the range? I've heard about looking for barrel bulges, lockup (which differs between the smith and colt versions), etc.

Any recommendations?

In my humble opinion...

When considering a revolver purchase, .45 ACP would never be on the list.

I *WOULD*, however - consider a semi-auto in some of my favorite revolver flavors, if they would be reliable

Except that doesn't answer the questions
smile.gif

I desire an actual 1917 revolver. Couldn't care less about if something else is perceived as better. This is more of a novelty and an interesting 100 year old military issue firearm that saw use in at least three wars.

I had one of the immediate predecessors, the S&W .455 Hand Ejector. Basically a S&W 1917 originally made in .455 and sold to the UK in 1916. Mechanically the same but 6.5" barrel, commercial finish, and commercial fancier grips. I like the gun. Mine was converted post-war by the factory to .45 Long Colt so no difference in that regard vs. a "normal" revolver cartridge.

They had stiffer main springs than commercial models, so the pull on these is stiff and they rae harder to shoot accurately DA. If you want to shoot it a lot, the regular N frame mainspring currently made can be dropped right in without much effort or cost.

The 1917 was not on my "interested" list because of the annoyance of the .45acp. 1/2 moon clips are ok for shooting it, but not a great solution. They are annoying to load, bulky to carry, collect lint and dirt they introduce into the cylinders. If you shoot without them, getting cases out is annoying.

The bonus of the gun is that early S&W construction was fantastic. Very satisfying gun to handle, and the 1917 makes that cheaper to do than commercial models. There is noting unique about checking one of these out vs. a regular revolver, just google "checking out a used revolver" and you can find plenty of guides. Only thing I'd want is an unmodified barrel - I wouldn't get a cut-down one, of which there are a reasonable percentage.

Last edited:
Sounds like a cool gun to own and shoot.

Have to interject - correct me if I am wrong - that the ACP round would be for a .45 auto and you would have a .45 Colt or similar.

It's a .45 ACP - a military pistol built by both Colt and S&W that was intended to be compatible with the ammo for the M1911 pistol, and supplement the shortage of M1911s with a traditional revolver.

Interesting pistol. Love the history. Never tired one, sorry...

Why in the world would you shoot it? Remington perfected the heat treating in I believe 1944 in their M1911 . Before that there were problems....for 1911's anyway.

I own a 1945 1911 th a t I shot before I knew better

Vintage Colt and S&W M1917 revolvers are getting hard to find in good condition. If you want a shooter, S&W makes the 625, stainless, still uses moon clips, and is more than able to handle any .45ACP you can stuff in it. When they came out with the Model 1989 in .45 ACP, I put the M1917 S&W back in the safe.

Originally Posted By: Al
Why in the world would you shoot it? Remington perfected the heat treating in I believe 1944 in their M1911 . Before that there were problems....for 1911's anyway.

I own a 1945 1911 th a t I shot before I knew better

Why not? There are some nice $2000 historic ones that I'd never shoot. But there are lots of pretty well used ones that sell for about the same as a used 686 or 15 that are historic but shooters that don't command a huge historic premium.

They're just neat, with Springfield proud marks, "United States Property" on the barrel, and Army markings on the butt.

Why not? They're pretty common, at least 300k were made. Look on gunbroker or whatnot. There are lots out there.

Go check the one in the Cabela's in Hamburg, if you're in the area. The gun library has at least one. Let me know if its worth going to see. Its a bit nicer specimen.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

I've seen some good basic info on them, some of the history, proof marks, serial numbers, etc.

I'm curious how you fully know if the gun is good to shoot with commercial .45ACP (I'd generally look for lower pressure rounds) regularly at the range? I've heard about looking for barrel bulges, lockup (which differs between the smith and colt versions), etc.

Any recommendations?
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Any recommendations?
I don't own one, but my uncle does and I've had plenty of opportunities to shoot it. His is a Smith with most of its original finish intact. The double action pull is a tad heavy with my arthritis but the weight makes the recoil very pleasant. If you pick one up do yourself a favor and buy some modern polymer moon clips. They're so much easier to use than the classic steel clips.

Since you guys are lagging on the requisite pics...

1) 1917 from the collection, buffed and re-blued so not the most perfect:
IMGP5649PEF.jpg

2) 1916 vintage .455 HE, British military, factory conversion to .45 LC. Original except lanyard I added:
faef691c.jpg

Last edited:
i cant help on the 1917 45acp; i would like to find one in honor of my grandfather who apparently carried one with aef siberia in 1920 (revolver being seen as more reliable in the extreme cold). i do have a 45acp ruger vaquero single action revolver, as well as a 45lc ruger blackhawk. either 45 revolver is great fun as a shooter. 45acp is cheaper but i much prefer the blackhawk's plowhandle grip over the vaquero's birdshead grip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back