FULL synthetic or blend for my 2017 Elantra?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had my dealership change the factory fill on my Elantra a little over 2,000 miles. They use Valoline 5w-20 Premium Conventional which is now a synthetic blend. I fit in the severe service of 3,750 miles or 6 months. Since we do not have an OLM I will do the 6-months.

If you are non severe and changing at 7,500 I would do synthetic of your choice.

PS It would be nice to know how changing oil yourself goes.

+1 , try to shoot for under $3.00 per quart for synthetic and you are doing good . You have a port injected engine so no special requirements oil wise other than a good Dexos 1 (why not ?) approved oil such as PP , QSAD , M1 , Valvoline or Castrol in 5W20 . Use either factory oil filter or a Fram Ultra with an OCI of 6,000 miles give or take 1,500 miles (depending on driving conditions) . Be sure to use a use a Top Tier fuel , follow a reasonable upkeep schedule and you can expect *250,000+ miles out of your new rig . *Since you live in N.J. rust will be your biggest enemy from winter road salt - find a good auto car wash that provides under car rinse during the wash cycle and use it after every snow storm (ask me how I know...) Lastly , on the rust prevent front keep that vehicle waxed !! I suggest Nu Finish a min. of every six months and most certainly a good wax coat by Nov. 1st. heading into snow season .
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Probably won't matter either way.
Were it mine, it would get a full syn, but I chase deals and pay less than two bucks a quart for a synthetic, typically M1 or PP.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Personally, I would run full synthetic that meets the manufacturer recommendations. Any major brand will do the job. Buy your oil on sale instead of right before you need it.

Walmart always has one full synthetic or another on sale. That's where I get all my oil. To the OP do expect to be changing those tires at 35-40 K miles. All hyundais seem to come with absolutely garbage tires.
You are lucky you not to have one of the junk 2.4 Sonatas Theta engines. Those things have become a menace and whatever mysterious gremlin is grenading their engine remains a mystery 3 years on. I'd recommend using Hyundai OEM oil filters though. Using non OEM filters was their patented go to ploy to deny warranty claims until NHSI got ahold of them and made a safety issue out of it. They were quite unkind to those victims of early failures until it became an avalanche followed by a class action law suit. Mine hasn't been an issue,yet, but I don't plan on keeping it past the power train warranty. Needless to say I'm not a Hyundai fan boy

I've been running 5W20 M1 and OEM filters in all our Kias and Hyundais, including a 2017 Value Edition, with no issues.

I think the main thing is using the high quality OEM Filter. If you follow the Hyundai forums there have been many cases of ticking and knocking caused by not using factory filters.
Oil is a personal thing and I also as you, want to keep my wife's 2014 Elantra Limited for a long time. First Change at 1000 miles then at 3000 miles using Mobil 1 EP. Then went to 5000 mile intervals. Oil analysis was excellent at 8K miles. Tried Magnatec 5W-20 for the last change and engine running very quiet and smooth. Will do another analysis at about 28K miles.

QSUD
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back