Looking for a new string trimmer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking for a new string trimmer. I was set on a 4 cycle for the low rpm, low noise, reduced vibration and potential for longer life. I was looking at a Craftsman 30cc, which I think has a Briggs motor. These trimmers get mixed reviews.

I was told by a friend to look at the Echo or Stihl 2 cycle units.
I would use it weekly and it would be used 30-45 minutes a time. I'm not sensitive to weight within reason.
I want it to LAST! budget less than $300, unless I can be convinced that a higher price one is worth the money.

When my wife and I first bought our house...there was more weeds than lawn...and since we were new homeowners...funds were limited. I bought a Bolens string trimmer...the cheapest that Home Depot had. Fast forward three years later...and the Bolens had ticked me off for the last time...refusing to start. I took my anger out on it...committing second degree OPE homicide that I shall not repeat lest I scare those with weak stomachs. The wife saw this display of raw aggression, and suggested I buy a quality machine. So I bought a Husqvarna. Took it home, and it was like heaven...it started easy, ran great, had lots of power. Trimming weeds was enjoyable. Ten years later, she cranks on the second pull and eats weeds like there is no tomorrow. With the Husqvarna...I look forward to weed eating...even now...ten years later.

As you can tell...I'm partial to Husqvarna. I'd give them a close look. You'll pay a little more...but they are worth it, IMHO.

thanks,
ben

Last edited:
I have a hate relationship with the battery units. When you need them they die quickly and every few years they change battery design so the unit becomes obsolete. I tend to buy heavy duty and commercial grade tools and equipment to get longer service life and they tend to be easier to service and have better parts network. I would rather buy a $300 machine and get 20 years out of it and be able to buy parts along the way than a $150 machine that is built cheaper, will be worn out in 5 years and has spotty parts availability after a few years. This is how I have always been.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: daddi
I have a Stihl FS 56. Its a little over a year old and have really enjoyed using it. Less than $200 and made in the USA.

https://www.stihlusa.com/products/trimmers-and-brushcutters/homeowner-trimmers/fs56rce/

Get the Stihl FS 56ce with the bicycle handles. A little more than the FS 56rce, but you won't believe the comfort level. I look forward to using it each week.

https://www.stihlusa.com/products/trimmers-and-brushcutters/homeowner-trimmers/fs56ce/

23ijcs8.png

I am a big fan of Echo myself. IF I ever wear out the one I am using now (and for the last 7or 8 years) I will buy another. As I said mine which I am still using, I rescued from a commercial users junk. It had about 3 or 4 years of tough commercial use, when it needed some minor repair, and the owner just chucked it, and bought another new Echo. If the new ones are like the ones from several years back, they seem to last forever.

Originally Posted By: Syntheticuser
I have a hate relationship with the battery units. When you need them they die quickly and every few years they change battery design so the unit becomes obsolete.

You may want to see if your cordless power tool manufacturer makes garden equipment. I believe DeWalt, Milwaukee, and Makita make lawn and garden stuff now. I know Milwaukee just came out with M18 trimmers, hedge clippers, and blowers. With those batteries you know the platform isn't going to suddenly disappear as they all have lots invested in their respective 18v platforms.

As far as trimmers I have the Stihl KM-130R 4Mix KombiMotor based string trimmer and I love it. Lots of power, has plenty of attachments and has worked well.

Originally Posted By: AMC
I am happy with my Echo SRM-225. I also have a husqvarna 128LD but I like the Echo much better.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/ECHO-2-Cycle-21-2cc-Straight-Shaft-Gas-Trimmer-SRM-225/100675439

That is the Echo I bought at Home Depot 15 years ago half price since it was a end of season return. It served me well. Used on rural property of about 3 acres and sometimes I would trim an embankment hours at a time. It was light and well balanced. It was one of the best pieces of power equipment I ever used.

My wife picked up a Husqvarna 228L - starts on first pull. It had a sticker on it that says "engine certified for 125 hours emissions", which I found funny considering it was a 2 stroke. Who is concerned about emissions on a 2 stroke ? Come on, they are dirty by design. My Yamaha Waverunner is 2 stroke and has a cat converter, but I digress.

Originally Posted By: MONKEYMAN
Originally Posted By: AMC
I am happy with my Echo SRM-225. I also have a husqvarna 128LD but I like the Echo much better.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/ECHO-2-Cycle-21-2cc-Straight-Shaft-Gas-Trimmer-SRM-225/100675439

That is the Echo I bought at Home Depot 15 years ago half price since it was a end of season return. It served me well. Used on rural property of about 3 acres and sometimes I would trim an embankment hours at a time. It was light and well balanced. It was one of the best pieces of power equipment I ever used.

Impressive. The reviews on the home depot website speak for themselves as far as the new ones are concerned. There are over 3,400 reviews on the SRM-225, 2700 hundred of them are 5 star and another 515 are 4 star.... That alone says a lot.

I own a Stihl FS56 that is probably fifteen years old. Still performs like new with use every week. When my father passed away a couple years back I got his Echo SRM-2100. He bought it a few years back to replace an Echo that he had used since the early 80's. Either will serve your purposes for years to come. Between the two the Echo seems to have slightly better performance and seems to be a little more comfortable for me to use as it is slightly longer than my Stihl. Between the two, I would not hesitate to buy either and would make my decision based on price.

I was never a fan of Echo, my cousin had an Echo weedeater years ago that was absolute junk, until I started using the ones at work. Im sold on these Echos, they are awesome. We abuse them and they just keep on going. Echo Red Armor 2 stroke oil and good fuel and let her sing

I just have a cheap Snapper from wal-mart I bought 3 or 4 years ago. It starts first or second pull every time...even after sitting all winter. The secret? Buy a carb adjusting tool and fix the way-too-lean settings from the factory and also run the engineered pre-mix fuel. Since switching to that fuel, all my two strokes run like a dream and start even after sitting a long time with fuel in them. It is worth the additional cost to be done with the headaches.

I have a Stihl KM 56 RC-E. (KM is a Kombi Motor, I have edger, string trimmer and blower attachments)

The Easy2Start takes a little getting used to but it has been a very good system. Very nice to have something other than box store grade.

It is very quiet has good run time and low vibration except for the edger attachment - it is a stratified 2 stroke.

You should be able get the power head and straight trimmer head for 300.00, I believe most dealers offer a discount on attachments bought with the power head, I know mine and another I shopped did.

The performance should be identical to FS56 C-E and FS56 RC-E too, you just lose the ability to change attachments. RC-E is loop handle C-E is handle bars, both of those are well under $300.00 DSRP.

I like my Stihl trimmer but any quality brand should last and last. Just sold a 2001 fs55 to my buddy and it still works perfectly. I bought a km94r to replace it. It is a true 2-cycle which makes it light and powerful. I bought the Kombi unit even though I just need a trimmer currently because I liked the idea of being a lento add attachments as the need arises.

I have always had good luck with Stihl and Echo.
Have an Echo straight shaft that was a hand down from my father in law that is probably 20 years old and still runs great.
Have a Stihl curved shaft model that is around 15 years old and still runs great as well.

Only thing I have done to either one is fuel lines and carburetor kits due to ethanol gas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back