Best 5W50 oil for Tuff Torque K46 transaxle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am restoring an old lawn tractor that has sat for a while. One of my plans is to change out the transmission fluid once I get the engine running right.

It seems that a 5W50 synthetic is suggested. Anyone have a good suggestion for the best brand or variety of oil for this application?

Originally Posted By: cwatkin

It seems that a 5W50 synthetic is suggested.

By whom?

They often/usually use either ATF or 10W30 oil.

Yup, Tuff Torq went from a 10w30 to a 5w50 synthetic recommendation.

I have Castrol Edge 5w50 in my K66 and it has been great. Seems a bit quieter over the previous fluid.

I used Mobil1 15w50 when I changed out the factory fill in my K61 TT about 8 years ago. It's smooth, quiet and very responsive. The Mobil1 is relatively inexpensive and easy to find.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
Yup, Tuff Torq went from a 10w30 to a 5w50 synthetic recommendation.

I have Castrol Edge 5w50 in my K66 and it has been great. Seems a bit quieter over the previous fluid.

I used Castrol as well, it was the only xW50 oil I could find at the time I did mine 4 years ago. My K46 in my L-130 is still going strong on it.

I used Motomaster 5w50 synthetic in mine. I believe that the MSDS shows that this oil is manufactured by Shell. The thing runs great. Find the cheapest synthetic 50 weight oil and run that. The K46 needs (according to the Tuff torq) a synthetic 50 weight. Mobil, Castrol, Shell, whatever is easiest and cheapest to find.

I don't think the brand you use for it is going to matter. 5w-50 is pretty high tech stuff and on top of that, it isn't being worked very hard in a hydrostatic transmission.

My John Deere has the K62 transaxle and there was some confusion as to which fluid to use, J20C HY-GARD High Viscosity or 5W-50 motor oil. I emailed Tuff Torq and they said either will work fine but the J20C HYGARD will work better in the cooler months. I went with Napa J20C Heavy duty tractor and transmission fluid. The transaxle is faster, quieter and smoother now that I have changed it so I am happy. Maybe next time I will try the 5w-50 and see if it makes any difference.

I have some Mobil 1 15W50 on hand for changing out a Hydro Gear transmission. These call for 15W50 or 20W50 so picked the synthetic. I kinda think this might be too thick on startup for the TT as the unit called for 10W30 from the factory and now calls for a 5W50.

Either way, I will get the cheapest synthetic 5W50 I can find as it sounds like ANY will work.

Thanks,

Conor

I have located 6 quarts of Kolpin 5W50 ATV oil for $2/quart and have it on its way. I am not familiar with this brand but it is 1/5 the price of any others out there. It looks like it is normally about $10/quart.

Any opinions on this one?

Conor

I have located 6 quarts of Kolpin 5W50 ATV oil for $2/quart and have it on its way. I am not familiar with this brand but it is 1/5 the price of any others out there. It looks like it is normally about $10/quart.

Any opinions on this one?

Conor

Funny Timing, I just changed out the oil in my Deere's K46 last night and used the Kolpin 5w50.
I was in a pinch because I wanted to change it and really needed to get it done quickly, so I went to a couple parts stores and the only one that had any 5w50 in stock was Advance Auto, and it was the Kolpin for $11 a quart.
Kolpin is a division of Polaris, and this is marketed for the newer Polaris UTV's that call for 5w50.
Not sure who actually makes the oil, if it meets specs for a new UTV, I'm sure it is more than adequate for our hydro units.

I changed it out last night and my daughter drove it around for close to an hour and it was working great!

I figured this would be fine and the price was right. Anyway, I will have it later today so might change my fluid tomorrow.

Thanks,

Conor

i used german castrol 0w30 in mine and it runs great on it. i think any synthetic oil in the tt`s will have a significant improvement over mineral oil simply due to how hot they run under there.

I am a big fan of synthetic oils in any air-cooled device because of their greater tolerance to heat and thermal conductivity. I bled the system and came up about 8 ounces short on the fill so am guessing that I didn't get all the old fluid out or it is impossible to get it all out without further disassembly of the unit. Either way, most of the fluid is changed and that is what is important. The old fluid didn't look all that bad.

I removed the transaxle with the rear wheels left on. I simply unbolted and disconnected everything, jacked up the mower, and rolled the unit out from under the mower. I removed the fill plug and rolled it over so it would drain out the hole. I rotated the thing at different angles until fluid stopped coming out. The mower had been run about 1/2 mile at full speed right before I did this to make sure the fluid was as warm and thin as possible for easy draining.

Conor

I am a big fan of synthetic oils in any air-cooled device because of their greater tolerance to heat and thermal conductivity. I bled the system and came up about 8 ounces short on the fill so am guessing that I didn't get all the old fluid out or it is impossible to get it all out without further disassembly of the unit. Either way, most of the fluid is changed and that is what is important. The old fluid didn't look all that bad.

I removed the transaxle with the rear wheels left on. I simply unbolted and disconnected everything, jacked up the mower, and rolled the unit out from under the mower. I removed the fill plug and rolled it over so it would drain out the hole. I rotated the thing at different angles until fluid stopped coming out. The mower had been run about 1/2 mile at full speed right before I did this to make sure the fluid was as warm and thin as possible for easy draining.

Conor

How did refilling and purging it go?

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Easy unit to service. My rig uses the K46. Shipped with 30w but sure loves that 15w-50 M1. Smooth and quiet...

yes, very quiet and much smoother on the GC. it used to whine pretty hard before the oil change.

Originally Posted By: lexus114
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Easy unit to service. My rig uses the K46. Shipped with 30w but sure loves that 15w-50 M1. Smooth and quiet...

yes, very quiet and much smoother on the GC. it used to whine pretty hard before the oil change.

Yes. I remember being a bit nervous about all the racket when my mower was new! Getting up near 200 hours now, so I'll probably drop the oil out again and use M1 15W-50 again.

I'm hoping this transaxle behaves like most and generates more debris when young than when a bit used...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back