2017 Camry Make Sense?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As most of you are aware, SUVs are the in thing, and sedans aren't selling well. In order to sell their 2017 Camrys, Toyota has a $2750 (Cali) or $3k (Nevada) rebate. USAA/TrueCar shows an estimated LE dealer price of $17671 and a SE price of $18,267 where I am now in NoCal. I don't absolutely need a new car, but at those prices, it's hard to pass up.

Pros - Toyota reliability, ease to work on. Low cost of ownership. Updated safety and electronic equipment.
Cons - Boring to drive. After they are still running at the 15-20 year point they don't break, but you wish they would so you could justify getting something new. Not available with manual transmission.

I could make my wife happy with an Accord with a MT, but can't justify paying $4k over the Camry SE.

I have recently retired, and after handling some of my parent's estate matters, look to do some extensive traveling across the country. I'd be willing to get rid of 2 or 3 current vehicles to justify the purchase. Current road vehicles are a 2013 1500 4WD Silverado (nicknamed Luxo Truck - comfortable, reliable, and able to handle the previously required trip to grandma's house during winter storms), 2005 Colorado (basic road transportation and light hauling), 2000 Cad Deville (I had maintained it well for my parents, and couldn't let it go for the current low value, but like the Colorado it has little utility). Also have a 20 year old C2500 HD pickup for hauling that I will never sell, and the spouse has an older around town car she will keep.

I welcome any efforts to talk me into the purchase or talk me down.

Camrys look alot better now, they're still an appliance but now Neopolitan and not vanilla.

A black, Camry SE w/nice interior pkg and perhaps body kit...you gotta nice, reliable car.

Insurance is cheap, good mileage..i'd do it.

This totally blows your value proposition, but a V6 Camry would be a screaming little sleeper car.
That same V6 moved my much heavier RAV4 around quite nicely and my wife's Avalon is even a bit quicker, although I always had trouble keeping the front tires from spinning leaving a light in that FWD vehicle. She doesn't like to let me drive it anymore after I mentioned that problem to her...

Camrys are great cars. However-many on BITOG think that a new car (no matter the brand) is a bad purchase because of depreciation and other issues. BTW-that Silverado makes a great road car if you can afford the gas.

I say if you can afford it-life is short and buy it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dblshock
nothing like a new Toyota, go for the '18.

I doubt he'll get the same deal as with the 2017 model year.

He's looking at the '17 Camry because he can get into it cheap. That rules out waiting for '18s and upgrading to V6, body kits, etc.

You've got 5 vehicles and it sounds like you're willing to sell the Silverado and Colorado since you won't let the Caddy go cheap and you're keeping the old truck and her old car, reducing the fleet by 1 overall. Does that sound right?

I'd sell the Colorado and road trip the Caddy in a heartbeat... followed by the Silverado. Use the Colorado cash for gas money and roll in style and comfort. No way will an LE Camry cruise long distance in comfort like what you've got right now.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
This totally blows your value proposition, but a V6 Camry would be a screaming little sleeper car.
That same V6 moved my much heavier RAV4 around quite nicely and my wife's Avalon is even a bit quicker, although I always had trouble keeping the front tires from spinning leaving a light in that FWD vehicle. She doesn't like to let me drive it anymore after I mentioned that problem to her...

THIS is the way to go. You will never wish for a smoother more powerful engine. The MPG is incredible also, not as good as the four banger but still extremely respectable.

I like the 4-cylinder camry as a good general duties car. They look fine, easy to park and drive, economical to keep and reliable.

For long term reliability they still have, as far as I know, port injection (not DI) so no fuel dilution or LSPI issues, a real auto (not CVT) and a full sized spare (not a space saver).

Sure the V6 is much faster, but more costly to buy, more fuel consumption, less space for DIY under the hood, and harder to get the power to the ground so more costly on tyres.

Now if they made a RWD V6 Camry ....

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi

I forgot to mention I have a M6 2002 Z-28 in the garage (needs a windshield because of a dust devil dropping part of a neighbor's roof into it) waiting repairs for my fun car. I agree the V6 Camry would be more fun than a 4 banger, but not as much fun as the Z. I'm looking at the 'yota as a long distance economy car, and am even considering the hybrid at the current price point.

Our previous Toyota was a '96 RAV4. Nice vehicle, but underpowered. Ran it until the timing belt wore out, replaced it, and kept going (non-interference engine). It was totaled by a hit and run driver while parked in front of our house. Still driveable, and it's now #1 daughter's car.

Nice quiet neighborhood, but have had the RAV totaled, son's Accord totaled, daughter's Acura totaled, C2500 truck hit twice and Camaro ran into while parked in front of the house. Even the driveway isn't safe, as the dust devil incident proved.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Originally Posted By: dblshock
nothing like a new Toyota, go for the '18.

I doubt he'll get the same deal as with the 2017 model year.

2018 Camry will have lots of bugs.

Originally Posted By: CKN
Camrys are great cars. However-many on BITOG think that a new car (no matter the brand) is a bad purchase because of depreciation and other issues. BTW-that Silverado makes a great road car if you can afford the gas.

I say if you can afford it-life is short and buy it.

Nice thing about Luxo Truck (in addition to it's road manners and comfort) is the current trade in value at 40k miles is about what I paid for it new. So much for depreciation on that one. I am a bit sheepish about the amount of gas I use to transport 2 people and a dog though.

As to the Camry, I'll probably drive it for 20 years if I live that long, so depreciation isn't a big consideration for me.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
He's looking at the '17 Camry because he can get into it cheap. That rules out waiting for '18s and upgrading to V6, body kits, etc.

You've got 5 vehicles and it sounds like you're willing to sell the Silverado and Colorado since you won't let the Caddy go cheap and you're keeping the old truck and her old car, reducing the fleet by 1 overall. Does that sound right?

I'd sell the Colorado and road trip the Caddy in a heartbeat... followed by the Silverado. Use the Colorado cash for gas money and roll in style and comfort. No way will an LE Camry cruise long distance in comfort like what you've got right now.

Caddy suspension is way too soft for my preference. New shocks might and I say again might help, but it wallows like a barge, requires premium gas, and fuel costs aren't much less than the Silverado. I figured I might want a Caddy when I got old, but I did get old, and still don't want one. Other than being familiar with routine maintenance, and having time invested in it, I really don't have a reason to keep it. Kinda wish I didn't become so attached to family cars I work on.

I have a similar problem with the Colorado. M5 with the I5, mileage isn't that great for such a small truck. I picked it up when #2 son blew the motor at 20k miles after a long period of not being used, then begged me to buy the hulk from him. Put a new dressed crate motor in it, and the drive train is essentially new. Very practical, but not anything to write home about in terms of ride (way too much body roll and bounce), comfort, efficiency and payload. I'll probably keep it as a reliable beater.

Love the Silverado, but not needing 4WD anymore, and being able to get so much out of it, I think I have to sell or trade in.

Big difference in ride quality between the Camry LE and the SE. The SE comes with 17 inch alloy wheel and a lower series tire. Combined with a sport tuned suspension and it rides much firmer, some say harsher on the highway. The LE doesn't ride like mush compared to older models. Long story short, the LE has a better hwy ride.

My brother travels a lot and asks for Camrys. He much prefers the LE since the SE beats him up with the ride. You can even rent each for a few days to which one you like better.

Last edited:
It's been a while since I drove a Camry, I've been a passenger in the 2010-2017 cars and I've driven my parent's insurance rental 2011 Camry and it seemed like a good, solid car that will get you places. I'd say buy it - maybe see if the dealer can work out a better deal for you because they want to make way for the 2018s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back