Best and Worst SET of tires you've ever put on

Status
Not open for further replies.
your ride

Worst:
Kumho Escta (wore out at 30K)
Avon (weak)
Continental ProContact Eco Plus (could not wear them out, but rode horribly...imagine these on a Tacoma TRD)

Best:
Perilli Scorpions
Toyo Open Country AT
Michelin Primacy

The worst were Firestone Affinity tires on the 99 Accord. Started making loud noises. They were either cupped or a belt in the tires broke. More than one affected. Started happening with 25k on them and they were rated for 60k miles. The prorate was to charge me more than I paid for them since they were on special, buy 3 get one free deal. The prorate after fees and taxes was $93 for a 15 inch tire. No thanks.

Last edited:
Worst:
Michelin Pilot Alpin - I know these are technically high performance winters, but their snow performance was really disappointing, regardless.

Best:
ContiSportContact2 - Awesome grip, while still providing a comfortable ride with no tramlining nor flatspotting.

As for wear, I don't think I've ever gotten anywhere close to 30K miles out of a set of tires. My last set of Bridgestone RE970s lasted about 15K.
smile.gif

Back in the 80's I bought a set of Pirrelli's in 155SR15 size for my 1974 Saab Sonett. All of them got ply separations.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
The worst were Firestone Assurance

There is a Goodyear Assurance and a Firestone Affinity but I have never seen a hybrid of the two.

Originally Posted By: forkian
The worst were Firestone Assurance

There is a Goodyear Assurance and a Firestone Affinity but I have never seen a hybrid of the two.

Fixed, thank you!

So far, worst has been Michelin anything (Energy, Primacy and LTX). Short life, high price, and IMO poor performance in snow (although great in rain). [Although Nokian i3 were downright scary in wet, was glad to be done with them; WR's wore fast and got noisy at the end so they weren't great either.]

General RT43's have been a good middle of the road if not downright great, when everything is factored in.

Best? I think Nokian entyres might have been best, for me.

Worst: Potenza G009 (loud, terrible in anything but dry)

Best: Michelin Primacy MXV4 (got over 70K out of a 60K tire, still had 4/32 left when replaced due to age/cracking. Quiet, predictable in all conditions)

Meh: Kelly Chargers (cheapish, decent traction, wore out fast)

Three worsts, for different reasons:
1. retreaded bias ply snow tires on a 1969 VW Type 1...they got the job done but they sure weren't pretty, one was a whitewall that the retreading company "painted" over with black goop so they would match
2. Goodyear Wrangler STs on a Grand Cherokee...sidewalls were so flimsy that my tire guy had a terrible time getting them to set on the bead and rode poorly, lots of understeer.
3. on the same Jeep, found a set of 17 inch upgrade wheels with worn Michelins to replace the 16 inch "mushy" Goodyears. When the Michelins wore out I put some Kumho Solus on there, and it was SPOOKY. The understeer with the 17 inch lower aspect ratio tires was worse than it had been with the taller 16 inch Goodyears...just not a good fitment for that tire.

Best:
That's tough to say, because I've been pretty well satisfied with most of my tires over the years.

I had a set of Kelly Chargers on a small 2 wheel drive pickup back in the 90's. Traction wasn't great, but they lasted a VERY long time.

Last edited:
Best..

Pirelli P Zero
Pirelli P7+
Altimax RT43

Worst..

A long list of poor tires, some are big names that are overrated and over priced.

Worst for wet and winter grip have been Uniroyal 3 season Tiger Paws that came on my Tracker, but they were probably going to last atleast 100k miles... They had lots of tread when we replaced them.
Best summer tires have been Sumitomo HTR200 on my old Neon, and the BFG Sport Comp2's currently on the Focus. A little bit noisy but they drive nice and straight on the hwy, and have been doing very well for autocross. I'd buy them again or something similar.

Mine are from the same manufacture, Goodyear. I had a set of Eagle F1 GS D3's on a car when I lived in Florida. They were the best tires I've driven on in the rain period. I could take a freeway cloverleaf well over the speed limit with the tires worn down quite a bit and they stuck like glue.

The worst was on my wifes Pontiac when we first met: Goodyear Eagle LS. Chosen as OEM by the auto makers to provide a smooth test ride is my guess.
The worst steering response of any tire I've experienced. The car said 30 on the door jamb, increasing the tires to 35 PSI made them even more
squirreley.

Best:
GT Radial Champiro Ice Pro. Probably the best snow tires I've run on any of my vehicles! Quiet, great grip and excellent for rolling resistance.

Worst:
Bridgestone Insignia ... I read that the OE version of this tire was garbage but the ones available at Firestone/Bridgestone shops weren't bad. The reviews were wrong. My Taurus was particurlarly hard on tires even though I drive like a grandmother, but this set didn't last at all. And there was ZERO traction in the rain.

The worst were Firestone Affinity tires on the 99 Accord. Started making loud noises. They were either cupped or a belt in the tires broke. More than one affected. Started happening with 25k on them and they were rated for 60k miles. The prorate was to charge me more than I paid for them since they were on special, buy 3 get one free deal. The prorate after fees and taxes was $93 for a 15 inch tire. No thanks.

My Taurus had those tires OE. If you took a turn at more than 50% of the speed it was posted for, they would squeal!

Worst
-----
Sears Roadhandler
Bridgestone Dueler H/L 400

Best
----
Yokohama Parada Spec-X
Goodyear Eagle Sport All Season
some Yoko Avids I put on the CRX ages ago

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back