2018 Toyota Camry Oil Requirements 0W-16

Status
Not open for further replies.
This should be interesting.

35.gif

The 0W16 offerings that I've seen to date, I would take in a heartbeat over the unicorn Japanese 0W20s like TGMO.

the 0W16s appear to have very low VII treats to make them much more robust...

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Now 0w20 and 5w 20 will be considered "thick".

Well, kids, back in my day we used to run the zero dubya twenty oil in our cars wasn't any of that water oil stuff

If you regularly browse BITOG i'm surprised you haven't heard of 0W-16.
Someone posted an UOA on here of Penrite 0W-16 i think, it showed very low wear metals, however the oci was less than 1000 miles.
It's not really THAT much thinner than 0W-20.

I frequent BITOG a few times a week and remember briefing a thread about 0w12 and 0w16 oil options.

I thought it was just a thread about oils getting thinner in theory. Neat that it's actually happening. Although I wonder, long term, what affect these low weight oils have on long term reliability. Toyota has a pretty good track record (coughminusthebrakescough) when it comes to reliability, so if their engineers say these new engines can run on the low weight oils, hey, more power to them!

Originally Posted By: Dallas69
I can't ever see myself running this.
IIRC, The early Idemitsu Subaru 0w20 was pretty much already there. Maybe the HTHS was a tad out of range. I stopped running it due to excessive engine racket. cost and NO real world fuel economy benefit. KV40 of 37cP

Finding it at a reasonable price might be a little tough for a while. As far as using it, it should be fine. It was designed for it. Not like some engines that were running 5W30, that were back spec'd to 5w20 with zero changes to the engine. Just a simple stroke of a pen changed them. They survived too but the motivation for the back spec was always good for debate. I wonder if some of these older 5w20 spec'd engines will be back spec'd 0W16...Time will tell.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
The 0W16 offerings that I've seen to date, I would take in a heartbeat over the unicorn Japanese 0W20s like TGMO.

the 0W16s appear to have very low VII treats to make them much more robust...

I suspect this response was a slight knee-jerk reaction to the 'epic' banter between you and a (now pretty quiet) member who raved about TGMO
smile.gif

For arguments sake, i enjoyed reading both sides.

I would think the HTHS is a indicator of "robustness" and 20 multigrades are higher than 16's. Maybe less prone to varnishing with the lower VM treat rate.

I'm happy with my thin 30 grades in the Nissan.

No more of that 20 grade engine sewing machine racket.

Some how my deacde old Ford 4.6 Bullitt was immune to this phenom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back