Oil Advice: South African Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Everyone,

If you're interested in an oil advice challenge, I think I'm your guy!

I'm having a hard time figuring out what oil I should put into my 2012 Lexus CT200h that's my daily driver here in Cape Town, South Africa, and I'd really appreciate any advice you can give.

The owner's manual (which seems to be written for the American market) suggests

"'Toyota Genuine Motor Oil' is used in your Lexus vehicle. Use Lexus approved 'Toyota Genuine Motor Oil' or equivalent to satisfy the following grade and viscosity.

Oil grade:

0W-20, 5W-20, 5W-30 and 10W-30:
API grade SL "Energy-Conserving", SM "Energy-Conserving" or ILSAC multigrade engine oil

15W-40 and 20W-50
API grade SL or SM multigrade engine oil"

No mention of change intervals in the manual, although the Lexus service person from last year seemed content with changing only once a year. (I bought the car two years ago.)

Some more details about my location and commute. I live a few blocks from a harbor, so there's some sea salt in the air (relevant?). Weather in Cape Town is mild: never below freezing, with an average winter low of 45F (7C), and not very hot with an average summer high of 80F (27C).

My commute is 5 miles (8 km) start to finish (I'm very lucky!). I drive through two quick traffic lights, then I'm on the highway going 55 mph (85 kph) for most of the way, one traffic light then I park at work. Despite the short commute, I probably drive the car hard, with a pretty fast acceleration onto the highway (where I sometimes go more like 70 mph for the first bit before the speed cameras); the highway also goes through pretty significant elevation gain and loss in both directions.

One of the difficulties is finding any of the above types of oil in the stores here in Cape Town. Of the types listed in the owner's manual, I've only found a very expensive Castrol EDGE Professional OE 5W-30 (and I'm not 100% sure that OE is the same as SL, SM, or ILSAC?) and a Castrol GTX 20W-50 API SL/CF mineral multigrade. So a big part of the challenge is to provide advice on oils that I can actually buy here, if you could, please :)

I think my two main questions then are: given the above driving habits and location in Cape Town, is there an oil available in South Africa that I should I use and how often should I replace it? Or, of the two options I've found so far, which should I use, and how often should I replace it?

Thank you very much for the help!

South Africa has tropical weather, never freeze and can be hot at times.

IMO, you can probably just used 10W-30 and it should be fine.

The number before the "w" is the cold viscosity with lower number means better starting ability in cold weather like below 0 celsius.
I suspect, over there, it will probably will never goes below 20 Celsius so 10 before "W" is not out of line.

I grew up near Capetown and know the weather down there. TGMO 0W20 should be fine but I will go with a 5W30. Castrol synthetic 5W30 will work well too.
I still miss Capetown, one of the most beautifull cities in the world.

Another for 10w30. Less vii and has reserve thickness for fuel dilution that is bound to happen with such short trips.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule

For that mild a weather and driving conditions I would think an API 5W20 SN would suffice.

Finding 5W-20 In South Africa? good luck with that!
Anyway, your car would be served well by a 5W-30,10W-30,0W-40,5W-40, Full synthetic oil.

For a vehicle that never seems to get up to operating temperature, I'd be inclined to go as thin as possible. Either a 20 or 30 grade depending on what you can find in your area.

Get us a pic of the shelves at an auto parts store! Just for our culture.

The castrol Edge Professional you mention sounds great. Once a year is also good.

Originally Posted By: CapeTownWill
Hi Everyone,

If you're interested in an oil advice challenge, I think I'm your guy!

I'm having a hard time figuring out what oil I should put into my 2012 Lexus CT200h that's my daily driver here in Cape Town, South Africa, and I'd really appreciate any advice you can give.

"'Toyota Genuine Motor Oil' is used in your Lexus vehicle. Use Lexus approved 'Toyota Genuine Motor Oil' or equivalent to satisfy the following grade and viscosity.

Oil grade:

API grade SL "Energy-Conserving", SM "Energy-Conserving" or ILSAC multigrade engine oil

15W-40 and 20W-50

No mention of change intervals in the manual, although the Lexus service person from last year seemed content with changing only once a year. (I bought the car two years ago.)

Some more details about my location and commute. I live a few blocks from a harbor, so there's some sea salt in the air (relevant?). Weather in Cape Town is mild: never below freezing, with an average winter low of 45F (7C), and not very hot with an average summer high of 80F (27C).

My commute is 5 miles (8 km) start to finish (I'm very lucky!). I drive through two quick traffic lights, then I'm on the highway going 55 mph (85 kph) for most of the way, one traffic light then I park at work. Despite the short commute, I probably drive the car hard, with a pretty fast acceleration onto the highway (where I sometimes go more like 70 mph for the first bit before the speed cameras); the highway also goes through pretty significant elevation gain and loss in both directions.

One of the difficulties is finding any of the above types of oil in the stores here in Cape Town. Of the types listed in the owner's manual, I've only found a very expensive Castrol EDGE Professional OE 5W-30 (and I'm not 100% sure that OE is the same as SL, SM, or ILSAC?) and a Castrol GTX 20W-50 API SL/CF mineral multigrade. So a big part of the challenge is to provide advice on oils that I can actually buy here, if you could, please :)

I think my two main questions then are: given the above driving habits and location in Cape Town, is there an oil available in South Africa that I should I use and how often should I replace it? Or, of the two options I've found so far, which should I use, and how often should I replace it?

Thank you very much for the help!

Pick a 10w-30 and forget about it. If your gonna track it consider a 15w-40.

Oil grade:

15W-40 and 20W-50

I researched the capacity and it's 4.4qts, so buying a 5 quart jug would be the simplest and cheaper way to go. Assuming Amazon can ship to you, here's what I would suggest after reviewing your OP:

Either this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GDRWAB0

Or this:

https://www.amazon.com/Mag-20134-10w-30-Synthetic-Motor/dp/B01GDRWANI

As for your oil filter...

This:

https://www.amazon.com/WIX-Filters-57064XP-Cartridge-Filter/dp/B00FHG8180

Or this:

https://www.amazon.com/Mobil-M1C-154-Extended-Performance-Filter/dp/B004A6HRFG

Hopefully you can have these shipped to you at your location.

~Triton

I really don't think anyone would be a big enough glutton for punishment to take one of these to the track...

Hi Everyone,If you're interested in an oil advice challenge, I think I'm your guy!
Oil grade:
15W-40 and 20W-50
I think my two main questions then are: given the above driving habits and location in Cape Town, is there an oil available in South Africa that I should I use and how often should I replace it? Or, of the two options I've found so far, which should I use, and how often should I replace it? Thank you very much for the help!

First why did you buy an hybrid for such short commute? You'll be driving mostly on your electric motor and your gasoline motor will never reach proper operating temperature, so for this reason I'd go with the lowest viscosity possible. 0W20 will be the best for you IMO.

Originally Posted By: Pelican
Hi Everyone,If you're interested in an oil advice challenge, I think I'm your guy!
Oil grade:
15W-40 and 20W-50
I think my two main questions then are: given the above driving habits and location in Cape Town, is there an oil available in South Africa that I should I use and how often should I replace it? Or, of the two options I've found so far, which should I use, and how often should I replace it? Thank you very much for the help!

First why did you buy an hybrid for such short commute? You'll be driving mostly on your electric motor and your gasoline motor will never reach proper operating temperature, so for this reason I'd go with the lowest viscosity possible. 0W20 will be the best for you IMO.

Actually the engine will not kick off until operating temp is reached, it's not like a plug in hybrid, which would be excellent. But there is truth to the rest of it. The 0w20 however will not make a huge difference as the fuel efficiency is affected by the HSD tranny thingy, and it is temperature (viscosity or not) dependent. Mine will lose a healthy 10+ mpg in the winter, and will only improve during high usage of electric motor without help of the gas engine (ie city, hwy will take longer to warm up it seems).
Either way this bugger will warm up better than your conventional simple gas set up, because it heats up the coolant via exhaust by/in the cat.

Not trying to discredit anyone, just trying to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back