Milk and eggs cheaper for anyone else?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wait until a Hawaiian opines in this thread. There will be some grumbling
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Originally Posted By: CharlieBauer
Still paying $6 for a gallon of organic milk and $7 for two dozen organic pasture raised eggs. $7 is a bargain thanks to Costco.

A local Kroger recently cleranced all of their free range eggs for fifty cents a dozen.
They also have organic milk regularly priced a less than five bucks a gallon.
Talk about bargains?

Yep 50c for a dozen eggs is a bargain.

But since I can't go to Kroger in Ohio when there happens to be a clearance, $7 all the time for 24 organic pasture raised eggs at Costco is a bargain for me seeing that I was paying $8+ for a dozen from regular grocery stores.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
I've noticed that milk and egg prices have fallen in my area. The Kroger near me has eggs for $.49 a dozen and gallon milk for $1.39, just wondering if anyone else has seen this happening and if they know why.

That's pretty dang cheap. Is this in Kroger's weekly ad?

I know they have very nice 4 day sales that work as lose leaders.. Come in for that $1 milk and buy $30 worth of stuff along the way since you have to walk to the furthest part of the store to get to the milk.

We paid $1 per dozen on eggs at Aldi. Milk was $2.30.

Originally Posted By: cashmoney
Stores like Kroger use milk and egg prices as loss leaders to get folks in the door and shopping. Other prices are adjusted to get the money back on loss leaders from the typical shopper. Supermarket inventory management and pricing is an extremely sophisticated art form these days and the big brands are very good at it.

Yep, low priced staples and the get people in the door and buy stuff at full price.

Good gawd, I wish our milk was that inexpensive. The cheapest we've got is wallyworld at like $2.88 a gallon. Almost 1/10th of what I paid at Molly Stones for local milk

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Originally Posted By: earlyre
I get eggs for free...My sister has 8 hens. gets 8 eggs most days. no way she can use them all, so family,and friends get free farm fresh eggs

Ya, we have a small hobby flock of free range chickens. Our eggs probably cost about $10/dozen after you factor in all the expenses.

LOL, what do you feed them? We have too many chickens ranging around at our place but for half the year we don't buy much feed for them, they find their own dinner and only hit up the feeder when they don't have anything better to eat. But then we have a couple dogs to keep the chickens alive and they eat year round, so I guess it adds up.
I would like to see the "pastured" chicken farm for the eggs from costco though, its not the easiest thing to keep chickens on grass and $3.50 sounds a bit cheap to do it. But it could be a loss leader for costco too I suppose.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself

Ya, we have a small hobby flock of free range chickens. Our eggs probably cost about $10/dozen after you factor in all the expenses.

Yes - at first, then it goes down fast once established. I have had laying hens since 2011, My costs are about $0.30 a dozen now. They eat a lot when free ranging.

"Predator prevention" is the most expensive part of having chickens.

Wholesale price for a 15-dozen box of loose eggs here in southeastern Wisconsin is right around $10.50. Earlier this year it was down to $6.66 for a while ($0.44 a dozen).

A year ago or more at one time the price spiked to $2.25 a dozen. A lot of the retail prices are loss leaders for the stores and sometimes are limited to quantity.

A photo is worth a thousand words.
Didnt know why i took that pic a few months back.
Now i know it was to share on bitog with brothers and sisters !!!!

Originally Posted By: Garak
You don't want to see what we pay for eggs up here.
I was listening to a radio show about Canadian price controls for dairy products, apparently to help out the farmers.

Obviously, I don't want this to get political, but it's very obvious as to why this is a thorn in the size of the U.S. administration. $0.49 for a dozen eggs? I don't think I've seen that since I was a kid.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
I've noticed that milk and egg prices have fallen in my area. The Kroger near me has eggs for $.49 a dozen and gallon milk for $1.39, just wondering if anyone else has seen this happening and if they know why.

Midwest super chain Meijer had had eggs for 49¢ and gallons of milk 99¢ since about Thanksgiving last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back