Seeking advice/opinions on bypass filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry I haven't checked this thread in a while.

Originally Posted By: Shata
Wow that's impressive with no bypass setup. Although inline engines are always very efficient and low wear engines.

Is that no make up oil/top offs accurate? No qts added in 25k+ miles?

Never had to add oil after an oil change. Reason is that while my car takes about 4.8 quarts, my mechanic always puts all 5 in since he knows how long I run the car between OCIs, just to be safe.

As far as other fluids, I do change the coolants when prescribed, and also change the transmission fluid even though it's not prescribed. I'm trying to get my oil to last longer so I can reduce my general servicing intervals as well as cost of course. Currently at 12k miles on Valvoline MAXlife with a Wix XP filter, but it looks like this oil has less additives so it won't go too far past 20k. Valvoline shows 1.7 TBN at 20k while Mobil 1 EP was 3.5, and 3.0~ at 26k.

Update: first major problem detected at 304,444 miles. Rear Main Seal leak.

The reason I bring up this update here is because my mechanic feels this could likely be due to debris that made it past the filter and damaged the seal. Since I run such long OCIs on only the full flow filter, it may have allowed something to go through the bypass valve.

He is once again recommending a bypass filter system, since I am basically doing the same thing a commercial vehicle does, and most of them seem to use those systems. I think I've decided to go ahead and do it. It may save me a little money, but lowering the chances of engine wear and helping to prevent possible debris getting past the full flow filter and damage another seal seems worthwhile to me.

Any thoughts? Does anyone have any recommendations as to which bypass system to look into? I'm having a hard time with my research finding one for a passenger car outside of Aamco's.

Oops, I meant to say Amsoil's, not Aamco's there at the end of my previous post.

At 304,444 miles the mechanic is blaming a rear main seal leak on "debris" that could have been prevented by using a bypass filtration system?

And installing such a filter now will get you more than another 304,444 miles?

I wonder...Has your mechanic (who is once again recommending a bypass set up) seen your UOA reports from Blackstone?

At 300K+ miles, my two cents as a solution to your leak is NOT a bypass system...In over 100K of testing, you don't have excess wear metals...

I would try ATP-205 reseal: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ATP-AT-205-Re-Seal-Stops-Leaks-8-Ounce-Bottle-/292044457208?hash=item43ff34c4f8:g:KgcAAOSwax5YucoT&vxp=mtr

I have personally used this as a fix for leaking power steering systems twice with good results. If you try this, expect to drive the vehicle for several days prior to the seals softening and regaining their seal. Others on this site have also had good experiences with ATP 205 reseal...This is your cheapest gamble.

Good Luck!!

I want to stress that my mechanic feels it MIGHT be due to debris that went past the full flow filter because I have such long OCIs. He is well-aware it could be something else. He just strongly believes in bypass filters for long-term engine life and clean oil because full flow filters don't filter enough, unless you change your oil at small intervals where it doesn't matter much since the filter probably would never get clogged enough for the bypass valve to come into play.

His whole point is that a bypass filter will greatly reduce the chances of damage due to particles building up in the oil, and allow the engine to last a little longer, and reduce my costs when changing oil. I told him I plan to keep this car running for as long as possible.

Originally Posted By: Raidin
... He just strongly believes in bypass filters for long-term engine life and clean oil because full flow filters don't filter enough, unless you change your oil at small intervals where it doesn't matter much since the filter probably would never get clogged enough for the bypass valve to come into play.

His whole point is that a bypass filter will greatly reduce the chances of damage due to particles building up in the oil, and allow the engine to last a little longer, and reduce my costs when changing oil. I told him I plan to keep this car running for as long as possible.

Filters don't make equipment last longer. They make lubes last longer in service.

What makes a piece of equipment last a long time is a good commitment to a proper maintenance program.

Clean sumps are able to be maintained by one of two methods:
1) filter out contamination
2) flush out contamination

I agree in that you don't need a BP filter IF you use normal OCIs. There are a slew of examples of very high mileage vehicles that hit over 1 million miles and never saw a BP filter for the lube. There are plenty of those that hit a million and did use BP filters. My point is that extreme longevity is not an exclusive benefit of BP filters; you can still have a clean sump by just dumping it reasonably frequently. Keeping the sump clean (by either method) makes for a well serviced piece of equipment. Using BP is a means of extending the OIL life, not the equipment life.

If you're looking for longer OCIs, then I strongly agree that BP filters are a good choice. If not running longer OCIs, they are a waste of money.

I will remind your mechanic that a BP unit only sees about 10% of the lube flow for any given full pass of the lube capacity. IOW, for any given particle to travel through the lube system, it will (by mathematical propensity) go through the FF filter 9 times before being caught in the BP element on the 10th pass. Some will be above that, others less; but it's an average that's fair. BP systems only "sample" the total flow, so most of the time a particle large enough to do damage has that chance to do so to the engine several times before being "selected" for the BP diversion loop.

Given your example of a damaging particle possibly passing through the lubrication system around 10 times before being filtered out by a bypass filter, would not that be better than the particle going through the system for an unknown number of times with a FF oil filter even if the oil change interval was a common 3,000 mile oil change? What could we use as a normal OCI / as you put it "reasonably frequently" (hours or miles) considering different driving styles, climates, idling time, work load, motor oil chemistry, etc. that would give us the same oil cleanliness that a bypass filter provides?

I have not done the extensive bypass research or fluid analysis as others on this bypass forum, such as ihatetochangeoil, but from my experience on my vehicles, additional fluid filtration & cooling of any kind does extend the working life of drive train components such as power steering units, automatic transmissions, and engines. I have auxiliary filters and coolers mounted on all of my personal and work vehicles and also on powered equipment I use on job sites (some of which was manufactured in the early 1950's). I have equipment that is in good running condition while other contractors I talk with while on job sites go through equipment at a fast rate (damaged engines, power steering pumps being rebuilt, and automatic transmissions having short usage life). That aside, the cleaner the fluid the better as far as I'm concerned. It's all about maintaining your equipment in the best way to get the most use out of it without dumping money on repairs that can possibly be prevented by going a few extra steps, such as additional filtration and cooling. So far that philosophy has worked well for me concerning my equipment.

Again, I thank all of you for your inputs.

I understand that a BP system doesn't increase engine life. There's just a chance of longer engine life due to a chance of less wear due to fewer harmful particles moving around. I didn't realize that a BP system would take so long in filtering the oil, in any case.

Now I have to make an update after making the decision to go with a BP system. My mechanic decided to look all over the car, to find a good place to install one. Sadly, being a small Lexus hybrid, there simply is no room anywhere for one, short of putting it in front of the radiator grill, which I really don't feel comfortable about. It seems Lexus used up every available space. While there's room behind the engine, it's virtually impossible to get the system in there to install it, much less swap filters.

With a BP system currently unavailable to me, I will continue to increase my OCI using just FF filters. I'm going for 28,000 miles right now with a Wix XP filter, as the filter looks really good at 26,000 miles. Reports have always shown low insolubles counts, and the guys at Blackstone feel the filters are doing fine so far (remember the reports are available earlier in this thread).

Now I must decide if the money saved from longer OCIs is worth the risk of potential cost of repairs down the road from running an FF filter for so long. If I run 10k mile OCIs as per the manual, that's $700 a year if you consider $70 per oil change. If I can do 28,000 to 30,000 mile OCIs, then we're looking at almost $500 a year saved, considering 100,000 miles a year driven.

Originally Posted By: Ihatetochangeoil
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Filters don't make equipment last longer.

This is opinion; not fact.

You are way WRONG. Nice try though. DNewton KNOWS what he IS talking about, you obviously do NOT

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: car51
Filters don't make equipment last longer.

This is opinion; not fact.

You are way WRONG. Nice try though. DNewton KNOWS what he IS talking about, you obviously do NOT

You are free to believe anything you wish sir, but there are highly informed sources outside of BITOG that disagree. I simply posted a link to a source outside of BITOG. If you choose to take Mr. Newton's word over others, that is your choice. I guess that's why Caterpillar specifies new oil to have a particle count of ISO 16/13. If new oil is above this level of contamination they will not warranty their equipment. BTW, there isn't a motor oil on the market that will meet this standard without pre-installation filtration.

http://lifetime-reliability.com/store/ma...Cleanliness.pdf

Here is an excerpt: Oil- how clean does it have to be. Clean, dry oil can extend equipment life between failure up to 8 - 10 times the normal operating life. Timken, the bearing manufacturer, reports that reducing water levels from 100 ppm (parts per million) to 25 ppm increases bearing life 2 times. British hydraulics research indicate that if solids contamination with particles larger than 5 micron (0.005 mm or 0.0002”) is reduced from the range of 5,000 – 10,000 particles per milliliter of oil to 160 – 320 particles, the machine life is increased 5 times....

Not buying that "opinion"

I'll believe DNewton advice as he talks facts and data. Why don't you?

Don't believe everything you read on internet also

I posted nothing untrue, and the article is referenced:

References:
 Leonard Bensch, Pall Corporation ‘How the new ISO particle count standard will affect you.’
 Paul W Michael, Benz Oil, Tom S Wanke, Fluid Power Institute, ‘Surgically clean hydraulic oil – a case study.’
 International Standard ISO 4406-1999, Hydraulic fluid power – Fluids – Method of coding the level of
contamination by solid particles.
 James C. Fitch, Handbook of case studies on contamination control. (1991)

I will take the word of Mr. Jim Fitch over the word of anyone on this forum. Sorry I do not share your blind obeisance to Mr. Newton. Neither do I accept YOUR "opinion." You may now have the thread, attack away, I'm done responding.

Let's look at the first link ihatetochangeoil posted, and take a quote right from the text ....
Clean, dry oil can extend equipment life ...

Go back and read what I stated, and then read that whole linked text. NOWHERE does it say that a filter makes an engine last longer. What it states is that (I'm paraphrasing here) tighter filtration makes a lube cleaner, and that cleaner lube will last longer in service. I am being VERY specific here. Filters do not make a piece of equipment last longer. What makes equipment last longer is a good clean fluid. But a clean fluid is NOT exclusive to filtration. Dumping and filling the sump can also make for a low contamination level.

There are two fundamental questions to ask:
1) how "clean" does a lube have to be to give a long lifespan?
2) how does one achieve that level of cleanliness?

Generally, an engine (tranny, diff, gearbox, whatever) does not need a hyper-clinically-clean environment to survive. Each piece of equipment will have some nuances that it prefers, but generally engines can survive just fine with "normal" levels of "clean". It is not, by any notion, necessary to remove every sub-micronic particle from the sump to have the motor last a long time. I cannot assure you what level of "clean" is right for each engine; that would be data that I don't have. But I CAN state with impunity that most engines survive just fine with "normal" filtration.

Ask yourself this, considering two extreme conditions:
a) if you put on the "best" FF filter, and then added the "best" BP filter element, but had no oil whatsoever in your engine, how long do you think it would last running at 1500 rpm? Probably about 20 minutes or less.
b) if you put in premium syn lube, but had no filter whatsoever, how long would it last? While it may not last forever, it sure as heck will last a LOT longer than option "a".
So in condition "a", just how well did that filter protect the engine directly? The answer is zero; it did nothing to make the engine last longer. But in condition "b", the oil was able to prolong the life of the engine. You see, filters to NOT make equipment last longer. Filters clean fluids. It is that clean fluid (sustained to some reasonable level) that makes a piece of equipment last a long time. Filters prolong the lifespan of a lube, not an engine.

Here's some real world examples:
https://www.knfilters.com/video/MillionMile.htm
1 million miles on one air filter, but had 400 oil changes (average OCI = 2500 miles). Now, while it is possible that the engine might have been in "better" shape if premium oil filter would have been used, it's clear that just normal oil changes made this unit last a LONG TIME, well past what "normal" folks would have ever done with it. Ironically, he could have probably run 5k or 10k miles, still had low wear, and saved money. But the point is that frequent O/FCIs made this last a long time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjRgiAOHm-E
This guy put over a million miles on his SuperDuty truck. In fact, I was so curious about this truck that I actually called that service center (easy to do nowadays with the inter-webbie searches). I spoke directly with the service manager that oversaw this vehicle maintenance plan. Actually, this truck is now dead; it was totaled in a wreck. But it actually had FOUR engines in over 3 million miles! You did not read that incorrectly! Here's how it played out ...
engine 1; died in a little over 100k miles. They didn't have time to deal with a rebuild, so they sourced an engine out of parts yard and got the truck back on the road
engine 2; went over a million miles. This second engine is the feature engine in this video. It went over 1 million miles, and then died. They sourced another parts-yard 5.4L for a swap.
engine 3; went close a million miles. The news story of this truck stopped, but the miles kept piling up. Engine 3 died just shy of a million miles as I recall. Yanked it out and put in #4 from yet another donor truck.
engine 4; was closing in on another million miles, and the vehicle was totaled in a wreck.
When I spoke with the service manager, he told me that the only lube/filter these engines got was Havoline 10w-40 conventional lube and a MC or other normal filter. Not one drop of synthetics; not one super-premium filter. Just "normal" routine O/FCIs at around 7-8k miles.

My point is that "normal" products (decent oil/filters, but nothing expensive or extraordinary) made these units go WAY longer than most people will ever use them. Both these guys might have been better off monetarily if they had used syn fluids and bypass, not to make the engines last longer, but to stretch out the fiscal opportunities. Syns and bypass filtration could have really paid off in savings. But it's clear that these two trucks didn't need super filters just to last a long time. IOW - the routine oil and filter changes were obviously keeping the sumps "clean enough" to sustain a LONG lifespan. So hyper cleaning the fluid would not likely have made the engines last longer. And, it's not like these two trucks are isolated; there are actually LOTS of vehicles with very high miles. Some use super-premium products like syns and BP filters, whereas others use "normal" products changed more often. Which emphasizes the point here .... Equipment longevity is NOT mutually exclusive to one form of maintenance committment. There is more than one way to make your equipment last a long time.

Guys - don't think of this in terms of indirect relationships. Think of DIRECT interactions. (recall your old childhood and the song about the leg bone connected to the knee bone; the knee bone connected to the thigh bone ....) The filter media never touches an engine anywhere. What the filter touches is the lube, and the lube touches the engine part surfaces.
Filters do NOTHING to extend the life of an engine. What they do is extend the usable lifespan of a lube by keeping the lube "clean enough" to sustain the equipment lifespan. As long as that lube is "clean enough" to sustain a viable level of engine survive-ability, then all will be fine. Filters don't clean an engine; filters clean the oil.

I would agree that super-fine filtration will make for super-clean oil. And that super-clean oil may (not will, but might) make a piece of equipment last some fractional portion longer. But to what end? What expense do you have to endure to get that level? I cannot tell you. But what I can state with complete certainty is that "normal" levels of clean (provided by decent O/FCIs) will make equipment last a lot longer than most folks will ever use a piece of equipment.

I stand by what I said previously, and challenge any of you to directly controvert it with logic and evidence:
Quote:
Filters don't make equipment last longer. They make lubes last longer in service.
What makes a piece of equipment last a long time is a good commitment to a proper maintenance program.

CLEAN OIL, managed to a reasonably sustainable level, is what makes equipment last a long time. There are two ways you can achieve that level of "clean":
- flush contamination out
- filter contamination out
Two roads to the same destination.
What is critical to equipment longevity is knowing and understanding the type program you're going to commit to, and then managing that program to a level that sustains the lifespan you desire out of the equipment.

Last edited:
... I will take the word of Mr. Jim Fitch over the word of anyone on this forum. Sorry I do not share your blind obeisance to Mr. Newton. ....

I know Jim as a mild-acquaintance; don't know him well. I've spoke and emailed with him on a limited basis.

http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/30383/engines-oil-analysis

If you value Jim's position, then you might do well to consider the fact that he (Jim Fitch) values MY opinion and position enough to publish my article in the Noria magazine.
Also, he invited me to speak last year at the conference in Louisville about oil analysis, but I was unable to make it fit into my calendar.

I admit I am not an expert on filtration, but I do know how to analyze data and look at the big picture. I also don't jump to conclusions, and understand the difference between correlation and causation.

Just saying ....

I posted nothing untrue, and the article is referenced:

References:
 Leonard Bensch, Pall Corporation ‘How the new ISO particle count standard will affect you.’
 Paul W Michael, Benz Oil, Tom S Wanke, Fluid Power Institute, ‘Surgically clean hydraulic oil – a case study.’
 International Standard ISO 4406-1999, Hydraulic fluid power – Fluids – Method of coding the level of
contamination by solid particles.
 James C. Fitch, Handbook of case studies on contamination control. (1991)

I will take the word of Mr. Jim Fitch over the word of anyone on this forum. Sorry I do not share your blind obeisance to Mr. Newton. Neither do I accept YOUR "opinion." You may now have the thread, attack away, I'm done responding.

I apologize that I don't share your point of view

Let's look at the first link ihatetochangeoil posted, and take a quote right from the text ....
Clean, dry oil can extend equipment life ...

Go back and read what I stated, and then read that whole linked text. NOWHERE does it say that a filter makes an engine last longer. What it states is that (I'm paraphrasing here) tighter filtration makes a lube cleaner, and that cleaner lube will last longer in service. I am being VERY specific here. Filters do not make a piece of equipment last longer. What makes equipment last longer is a good clean fluid. But a clean fluid is NOT exclusive to filtration. Dumping and filling the sump can also make for a low contamination level.

There are two fundamental questions to ask:
1) how "clean" does a lube have to be to give a long lifespan?
2) how does one achieve that level of cleanliness?

Generally, an engine (tranny, diff, gearbox, whatever) does not need a hyper-clinically-clean environment to survive. Each piece of equipment will have some nuances that it prefers, but generally engines can survive just fine with "normal" levels of "clean". It is not, by any notion, necessary to remove every sub-micronic particle from the sump to have the motor last a long time. I cannot assure you what level of "clean" is right for each engine; that would be data that I don't have. But I CAN state with impunity that most engines survive just fine with "normal" filtration.

Ask yourself this, considering two extreme conditions:
a) if you put on the "best" FF filter, and then added the "best" BP filter element, but had no oil whatsoever in your engine, how long do you think it would last running at 1500 rpm? Probably about 20 minutes or less.
b) if you put in premium syn lube, but had no filter whatsoever, how long would it last? While it may not last forever, it sure as heck will last a LOT longer than option "a".
So in condition "a", just how well did that filter protect the engine directly? The answer is zero; it did nothing to make the engine last longer. But in condition "b", the oil was able to prolong the life of the engine. You see, filters to NOT make equipment last longer. Filters clean fluids. It is that clean fluid (sustained to some reasonable level) that makes a piece of equipment last a long time. Filters prolong the lifespan of a lube, not an engine.

Here's some real world examples:
https://www.knfilters.com/video/MillionMile.htm
1 million miles on one air filter, but had 400 oil changes (average OCI = 2500 miles). Now, while it is possible that the engine might have been in "better" shape if premium oil filter would have been used, it's clear that just normal oil changes made this unit last a LONG TIME, well past what "normal" folks would have ever done with it. Ironically, he could have probably run 5k or 10k miles, still had low wear, and saved money. But the point is that frequent O/FCIs made this last a long time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjRgiAOHm-E
This guy put over a million miles on his SuperDuty truck. In fact, I was so curious about this truck that I actually called that service center (easy to do nowadays with the inter-webbie searches). I spoke directly with the service manager that oversaw this vehicle maintenance plan. Actually, this truck is now dead; it was totaled in a wreck. But it actually had FOUR engines in over 3 million miles! You did not read that incorrectly! Here's how it played out ...
engine 1; died in a little over 100k miles. They didn't have time to deal with a rebuild, so they sourced an engine out of parts yard and got the truck back on the road
engine 2; went over a million miles. This second engine is the feature engine in this video. It went over 1 million miles, and then died. They sourced another parts-yard 5.4L for a swap.
engine 3; went close a million miles. The news story of this truck stopped, but the miles kept piling up. Engine 3 died just shy of a million miles as I recall. Yanked it out and put in #4 from yet another donor truck.
engine 4; was closing in on another million miles, and the vehicle was totaled in a wreck.
When I spoke with the service manager, he told me that the only lube/filter these engines got was Havoline 10w-40 conventional lube and a MC or other normal filter. Not one drop of synthetics; not one super-premium filter. Just "normal" routine O/FCIs at around 7-8k miles.

My point is that "normal" products (decent oil/filters, but nothing expensive or extraordinary) made these units go WAY longer than most people will ever use them. Both these guys might have been better off monetarily if they had used syn fluids and bypass, not to make the engines last longer, but to stretch out the fiscal opportunities. Syns and bypass filtration could have really paid off in savings. But it's clear that these two trucks didn't need super filters just to last a long time. IOW - the routine oil and filter changes were obviously keeping the sumps "clean enough" to sustain a LONG lifespan. So hyper cleaning the fluid would not likely have made the engines last longer. And, it's not like these two trucks are isolated; there are actually LOTS of vehicles with very high miles. Some use super-premium products like syns and BP filters, whereas others use "normal" products changed more often. Which emphasizes the point here .... Equipment longevity is NOT mutually exclusive to one form of maintenance committment. There is more than one way to make your equipment last a long time.

Guys - don't think of this in terms of indirect relationships. Think of DIRECT interactions. (recall your old childhood and the song about the leg bone connected to the knee bone; the knee bone connected to the thigh bone ....) The filter media never touches an engine anywhere. What the filter touches is the lube, and the lube touches the engine part surfaces.
Filters do NOTHING to extend the life of an engine. What they do is extend the usable lifespan of a lube by keeping the lube "clean enough" to sustain the equipment lifespan. As long as that lube is "clean enough" to sustain a viable level of engine survive-ability, then all will be fine. Filters don't clean an engine; filters clean the oil.

I would agree that super-fine filtration will make for super-clean oil. And that super-clean oil may (not will, but might) make a piece of equipment last some fractional portion longer. But to what end? What expense do you have to endure to get that level? I cannot tell you. But what I can state with complete certainty is that "normal" levels of clean (provided by decent O/FCIs) will make equipment last a lot longer than most folks will ever use a piece of equipment.

I stand by what I said previously, and challenge any of you to directly controvert it with logic and evidence:
Quote:

CLEAN OIL, managed to a reasonably sustainable level, is what makes equipment last a long time. There are two ways you can achieve that level of "clean":
What is critical to equipment longevity is knowing and understanding the type program you're going to commit to, and then managing that program to a level that sustains the lifespan you desire out of the equipment.

DNewton: thank you for the actual informative posts as well
smile.gif

Tomato, tomoto...

DNewtons posts are nothing new, neither are most of his ideas anything except common sense. Of course the best filter in the world won't work without oil. Duh. Makes as much sense as the best fishing lure in the world won't work sitting in the tackle box.

Notice that Dnewton STARTED with "clean, dry oil"...How do you get that? ANSWER: FILTRATION.

Now, if you want to get down to specifics, Mr. Newton pointed out that "I would agree that super-fine filtration will make for super-clean oil. And that super-clean oil may (not will, but might) make a piece of equipment last some fractional portion longer. But to what end? What expense do you have to endure to get that level? I cannot tell you."

This paragraph from Mr. Newton is inconclusive, correct? I don't think there is disagreement here...Let's raise the bar and change the paradigm. Does anyone have any conclusive proof that oil and filtration together, maintained to cleanliness levels at least minimum specified by Caterpillar for warranty requirements, how does anyone KNOW that oil kept to, say a 16/13 cleanliness level (This is ONLY attainable with bypass filtration) will not double the useful life of equipment?

For every example of a "million mile motor" using "normal" filters and maintenance that anyone can post, I can post ten examples of million mile motors that are still in service (with bypass filtration), and oil that hasn't been changed for hundreds of thousands (or millions) of miles...I'm not wasting my time providing links because no one will read them anyway.

My hypothesis is that the technology exists to eliminate oil changes altogether. This can be done only (for now) with a combination of bypass filtration and a steady supply of "top up oil" added when the level falls below full and when the filter(s) are changed. At this moment, the oil in my car has 27K on it, and I last had UOA done at 25K, the lab said it was "suitable for continued use." There are other BITOG posters that are doing similar things with trucks. I may never change my oil...I'm going to go by test lab results, not any armchair tribologist opinion on BITOG.

Of course, I do NOT know what I'm talking about...You're welcome.

Quote:
[/quote]CLEAN OIL, managed to a reasonably sustainable level, is what makes equipment last a long time. There are two ways you can achieve that level of "clean":
What is critical to equipment longevity is knowing and understanding the type program you're going to commit to, and then managing that program to a level that sustains the lifespan you desire out of the equipment
So then we are in agreement. Filter / bypass the oil = fewer contaminants in oil = oil is cleaner=equipment lasts longer because fewer contaminents are in the oil to elevate wear. I just want to retire in a few years without having to drop any more money in my equipment. If I can change out a few rolls of toilet paper !!!(filters) and change out remote mount-spin on oil filters and that gets me there so be it!!! Geez, all any of us on this bypass forum are trying to do is save money (extend oil change intervals) and extend equipment usage life (reduce amount of wear).

Tomato, tomoto...

DNewtons posts are nothing new, neither are most of his ideas anything except common sense. Of course the best filter in the world won't work without oil. Duh. Makes as much sense as the best fishing lure in the world won't work sitting in the tackle box.

Notice that Dnewton STARTED with "clean, dry oil"...How do you get that? ANSWER: FILTRATION.

Now, if you want to get down to specifics, Mr. Newton pointed out that "I would agree that super-fine filtration will make for super-clean oil. And that super-clean oil may (not will, but might) make a piece of equipment last some fractional portion longer. But to what end? What expense do you have to endure to get that level? I cannot tell you."

This paragraph from Mr. Newton is inconclusive, correct? I don't think there is disagreement here...Let's raise the bar and change the paradigm. Does anyone have any conclusive proof that oil and filtration together, maintained to cleanliness levels at least minimum specified by Caterpillar for warranty requirements, how does anyone KNOW that oil kept to, say a 16/13 cleanliness level (This is ONLY attainable with bypass filtration) will not double the useful life of equipment?

For every example of a "million mile motor" using "normal" filters and maintenance that anyone can post, I can post ten examples of million mile motors that are still in service (with bypass filtration), and oil that hasn't been changed for hundreds of thousands (or millions) of miles...I'm not wasting my time providing links because no one will read them anyway.

My hypothesis is that the technology exists to eliminate oil changes altogether. This can be done only (for now) with a combination of bypass filtration and a steady supply of "top up oil" added when the level falls below full and when the filter(s) are changed. At this moment, the oil in my car has 27K on it, and I last had UOA done at 25K, the lab said it was "suitable for continued use." There are other BITOG posters that are doing similar things with trucks. I may never change my oil...I'm going to go by test lab results, not any armchair tribologist opinion on BITOG.

Of course, I do NOT know what I'm talking about...You're welcome.

You still don't get it. It's a fundamental difference of view point.

There exists some level of "clean" lube that will sustain the rig for a long time. You can either flush out the contamination, or filter it out. We're talking about the environment of the equipment, not the place of lube production.

What makes equipment last a long time is a reasonably clean sump load. Bypass filtration is not an exclusive means of getting that result, therefore it is NOT the "cause", but merely "correlation". What causes long lifespan of equipment is a sump "clean enough" to sustain the desired wear rates. But that can be achieved by multiple means. What causes long lifespan of lubes is bypass filtration. You are making a leap from one to the other that is technically correlation and not causation.

There is no proof that I know of, no SAE study or any such tool, that proves BP filtration EXCLUSIVELY lengthens equipment life. There is no study I am aware of that did a comparison/contrast of normal OCI duration and filtration level. None whatsoever.

FALSE: Bypass filters make equipment last longer.
TRUE: Bypass filters make lubes last longer in service.

FALSE: More filtration is always better
TRUE: Filtration to a reasonable level will sustain the desired sump contamination level

FALSE: Overly frequent OCIs will make wear rates drop.
TRUE: OCIs can be managed to a level that sustains the lowest wear rates.

FALSE: Equipment cannot last a long time without bypass filters.
TRUE: Equipment can last a long time with a clean sump load that sustains the desired wear rates.

FALSE: Bypass filters are the only way to sustain a sump clean enough to make equipment last a long time.
TRUE: There is more than one means of attaining a sump clean enough that sustains the desired wear rates.

Consider two examples:
veh A uses normal oils and filters, and OCIs every 10k miles.
veh B uses syn oils and BP filters, and OCIs every 25k miles.
During the first 10k miles of both, the wear rates of both systems are essentially equal; there is no "better" (lower) wear for the use of premium products in veh B, compared to veh A.
Now, if you forced veh A to extend the OCI out to 25k miles, the wear rates would certainly go up. That is because the sump would become contaminated to a point that the engine could no longer tolerate the debris load, and the "normal" oil/filter products become overwhelmed. But what is ALSO true is that there is a portion of time where BOTH systems have an equal wear-rate experience. During that first 10k miles, neither system has an advantage over the other. Both systems have very low wear rates; essentially equal in fact. The benefit to BP filters is NOT that they can lower wear rates; it's that they can sustain low wear rates LONGER!

I've got over 15k UOAs in my database, and I can assure you with total certainty that wear rates using bypass filters (and syn fluids) are NOT WHATSOEVER any "better" (lower) in the sense of "normal" OCI durations. This isn't opinion; it's FACT. I've seen it so many times it's just numbing. Your presumption (based on your misunderstanding of many ALT filter trials I would presume) is that the sump loads are too dirty from the beginning and that wear is immediately affected. THAT IS UNTRUE. Wear rate data for both "normal" systems and "premium" systems shows that wear data is essentially identical for some period of time. As long as the total sump is managed within the ability of the "normal" sump system, the alternative premium system shows no better wear rate control; none whatsoever!

I agree that syns and BP filters are great tools, but ONLY if you understand both their benefits and limitations, and manage your maintenance program in a manner that give the ROI a fighting chance.

There's a sign in my office that states the following:
I can explain it to you, but I cannot understand it for you.
If you cannot understand the differences I state here, it's not my fault.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back