Milk and eggs cheaper for anyone else?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've noticed that milk and egg prices have fallen in my area. The Kroger near me has eggs for $.49 a dozen and gallon milk for $1.39, just wondering if anyone else has seen this happening and if they know why.

"Market Basket" has had 1 dozen eggs for .99 for most of the past winter/fall.

Stores like Kroger use milk and egg prices as loss leaders to get folks in the door and shopping. Other prices are adjusted to get the money back on loss leaders from the typical shopper. Supermarket inventory management and pricing is an extremely sophisticated art form these days and the big brands are very good at it.

Last edited:
Record number of chickens after many had to be killed due to bird flu in 2015(5.3 million in Iowa). Producers went overboard and now cheap eggs. Been buying Jumbo for 53/dozen here and milk has been coming back up. 2%/2.12

Last edited:
I get eggs for free...
My sister has 8 hens. gets 8 eggs most days. no way she can use them all, so family,and friends get free farm fresh eggs

Originally Posted By: earlyre
I get eggs for free...My sister has 8 hens. gets 8 eggs most days. no way she can use them all, so family,and friends get free farm fresh eggs

Ya, we have a small hobby flock of free range chickens. Our eggs probably cost about $10/dozen after you factor in all the expenses.

Mmmmm eggs. I could easily go through 6 a day. Couple for breakfast, some hard boiled with salad, some spicey pickled eggs and summer time lot of egg salad sandwiches and Amish potato salad. Glad they are cheap tight now

Eggs 63 cent dozen at my local grocer and I get 2% milk from local dairy for $2.59 a gallon delivered every Monday
smile.gif

I couldnt even tell you what these items cost. I cant remember the last time I went to a grocery store. I hate it and my wife hates me going with her.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
I've noticed that milk and egg prices have fallen in my area. The Kroger near me has eggs for $.49 a dozen and gallon milk for $1.39, just wondering if anyone else has seen this happening and if they know why.

A few weeks ago, eggs were down to $0.02/egg. So a dozen was $0.24 and 18 eggs was $0.36.

Prices are coming back up, but are still between $0.04 and $0.06/egg.

Milk has been lower priced as well.

Well, the organic eggs are still $5.00/dozen.... Probably not flying off the shelves at that differential.

Both of these items are priced below cost.
It may be that Krogier is returning to these old-school loss-leaders.
Doesn't matter, since you can get eggs and milk cheaply and you can skip the higher markup stuff.
Buy what's on sale and plan your menus around that.
That's how we shop.

Still paying $6 for a gallon of organic milk and $7 for two dozen organic pasture raised eggs. $7 is a bargain thanks to Costco.

Maine sets a legal floor for milk prices in the $3.xx range. I smuggle mine in from NH.
cool.gif

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Maine sets a legal floor for milk prices in the $3.xx range. I smuggle mine in from NH.
cool.gif

Minnesota had a milk law that did not allow for loss leader.
Thought I heard about milk war with Canada allowing more moo juice to be on the shelves down here

My local ALDI guys have had a couple ridiculously low prices on dairy lately-consistently 39 cents/dozen for large eggs, milk for $1.12-1.38 gallon. There has to be a glut, they've never been that low, it used to be difficult to find $1.99/gallon milk until recently.

Originally Posted By: CharlieBauer
Still paying $6 for a gallon of organic milk and $7 for two dozen organic pasture raised eggs. $7 is a bargain thanks to Costco.
I saw the organic milk at Meijer for $6.69 or something a gallon just yesterday. Um.. too rich for my blood.

Originally Posted By: CharlieBauer

A local Kroger recently cleranced all of their free range eggs for fifty cents a dozen.
They also have organic milk regularly priced a less than five bucks a gallon.
Talk about bargains?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back