VW Says Fiat Diesels Spew More Pollution too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haven't heard much more on GM and their device altering emissions on the trucks either as reported by Bloomberg couple weeks ago

Like I said before, when the VW diesel scandal first surfaced - VW was not the only company that gamed the system. They were just the first ones to get caught. It was just a matter of time before others did, too.

I'm of the opinion that since 1) VW was openly criticizing electric cars and 2) there was a big struggle on the top for who will control VW, that the cheating code was leaked out.
Fact that VW is on schedule to make the most EVs in EU and that VW's control went back to a certain family tells me the cheating was not simply discovered.

Last edited:
Take a cheap shot at the competition, no surprise there. Funny thing is they're probably right........

Meanwhile Toyota keeps the Prius assembly line running right along. No excitement. No drama. No problems. It drives like an overloaded truck on flat tires and is as exiting as having tea at Aunt Ethel's house. It costs too much and the profit is too little. The only thing to do while driving is to watch the display on the dash. But, it keeps on running. You don't have to refill anything or even know where the engine might be. The brakes last forever and the only time you stop for service is for the scheduled routine maintenance. The EPA does not even look at the Prius. It's the poster child of the middle aged ladies that know they're helping to save the planet and their husbands know not to disagree. Toyota knew something when the brought out the Prius and took a pass on diesel for passenger cars in America. And all the detractors have ever come up with is the fact that the battery behaves like a battery and needs to be replaced some day.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Meanwhile Toyota keeps the Prius assembly line running right along. No excitement. No drama. No problems. It drives like an overloaded truck on flat tires and is as exiting as having tea at Aunt Ethel's house.

Do you know how many Prii/Priuses pass me way over 80 mph on my commute?
...and about battery, well it passed the taxi fleet test, didn't?

And they are probably right. But VW really has no place for calling others, they were dancing on the edge of passing emissions since the Euro4 norm was introduced. Their PD diesels were unable to embrace DPFs AFAIK, and there's no VAGs prior to 08 with DPF installed.

French were most honest here, PSA have DPFs since 01 on some engines.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Originally Posted By: Jetronic
Originally Posted By: wemay
https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/artic...han-allowed-too

Let the mud slinging begin

404. Page Not Found
Unfortunately, this page does not exist. Please check your URL or return to the Home Page.
Works for me

I tried it again. Works for me too.

still doesn't work for me. Maybe a regional issue?

Originally Posted By: chrisri
And they are probably right. But VW really has no place for calling others, they were dancing on the edge of passing emissions since the Euro4 norm was introduced. Their PD diesels were unable to embrace DPFs AFAIK, and there's no VAGs prior to 08 with DPF installed.

not accurate, the US version of the v10 ( a pd engine) was equipped with a dpf

The V10 TDI returned to the U.S. market as 2006 model year vehicle in five states. Later US models went on sale in 2006, which was compliant with 50 states emission with Ultra-low sulfur diesel and particulate filter.[6

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Touareg#V10_TDI_.282002.E2.80.932010.29

Originally Posted By: 2004tdigls
Originally Posted By: chrisri

not accurate, the US version of the v10 ( a pd engine) was equipped with a dpf

The V10 TDI returned to the U.S. market as 2006 model year vehicle in five states. Later US models went on sale in 2006, which was compliant with 50 states emission with Ultra-low sulfur diesel and particulate filter.[6

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Touareg#V10_TDI_.282002.E2.80.932010.29

Stand corrected, but in my defense I was referring to a 2.0.PD which is mass market engine- V10 is not. Plenty of 05 to 08 VW without the filter while some competition had it. It was a grey area with DPF at that time because cars simple had to pass emissions and some could do without DPF, some not. I would imagine cars without were at a upper end of limit. In a laboratory conditions. In real life difference is big.

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
still doesn't work for me. Maybe a regional issue?

Doesn't work for me, either. In any event, Sergio is already up at arms, and none of this is any surprise. If VW was cheating, everyone else was doing it, too. I would say find one manufacturer that wasn't cheating, and that would be remarkable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back