F150 Ecoboost towing 14K up 6% grade

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is something they started on FTE a (7?) few years ago. Pretty cool to watch that the 3.5 Ecoboost is quicker than an old 7.3 super duty!

There was word that a BRO with his Cummins on a smoke tune tried it and blew it to pieces. Can't tow 14K up a steep grade on a smoke tune without EGT monitoring.

The Fast Lane Truck did a test like this up a steep hill and the Ecoboost beat Chevy's biggest baddest engine uphill, but the chevy did better going down the same hill. You can find it on Youtube.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
The question in my mind is how many times can you do it before something blows.

+1 - Exactly

I guess if all the fluids and mechanicals are kept at a reasonable temperature, then running it hard isn't going to shorten its life too much.
Lots of marine engines get run plenty hard, and are built for it, so they last a long time.

I don't get why it's interesting. The EB 3.5 has a Diesel-like flat torque curve and has the HP to back it up. Turbos are proven technology, used in semis and turbo-Diesel's. Nobody thinks twice about an I6 Cummins pulling that weight or more but a "little V6 can't do it"???

We pull 10k behind ours (camper) and it does fine where we've had it - mountains of PA, VA, and NY State. It will hold 65 up most hills in 4th and if you need more oomph it will drop to 3rd or 2nd and start pulling away. It will pass most bigger vehicles on the uphill if I let it. Downhill braking is good but you do notice you are driving a smaller displacement engine. It will go down to 2nd at 5k RPM if need be.

The engine is nearing it's 8th birthday (it came out in late summer 2009 in the cars) and they don't go boom any more than any other engine.

Respectable!

... just don't try to tell me my '85 GMC C3500 can't do it with equivalently moderate mods, too. Only difference will be about 4 MPG over an average trip with that load. Then once the trailer's unhooked it'll blow me out of the water. Though once he has to overhaul his engine I'll blow him back outa the water, etc., etc. :p

Originally Posted By: Miller88
This is something they started on FTE a (7?) few years ago. Pretty cool to watch that the 3.5 Ecoboost is quicker than an old 7.3 super duty!

There was word that a BRO with his Cummins on a smoke tune tried it and blew it to pieces. Can't tow 14K up a steep grade on a smoke tune without EGT monitoring.

7.3 is pretty slow, but there is a reason they last so long.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
I guess if all the fluids and mechanicals are kept at a reasonable temperature, then running it hard isn't going to shorten its life too much. Lots of marine engines get run plenty hard, and are built for it, so they last a long time.

Exactly - the supporting systems are key.

Marine engines have a lot of reserve cooling capacity.

Originally Posted By: itguy08
Turbos are proven technology, used in semis and turbo-Diesel's. Nobody thinks twice about an I6 Cummins pulling that weight or more but a "little V6 can't do it"???

"Apples to Oranges" - - - take apart the engines you mentioned and look at the size, heft and robustness of the engine internals.

Pretty amazing what the "little V6" can do and STILL LIVE considering they're maybe 1/3 the heft of a Cummins!!!

Turbos aren't "prejudiced" - they'll be more than happy to blow up any engine you bolt them onto if you don't have your engine tuned properly.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: itguy08
Turbos are proven technology, used in semis and turbo-Diesel's. Nobody thinks twice about an I6 Cummins pulling that weight or more but a "little V6 can't do it"???

"Apples to Oranges" - - - take apart the engines you mentioned and look at the size, heft and robustness of the engine internals.

Pretty amazing what the "little V6" can do and STILL LIVE considering they're maybe 1/3 the heft of a Cummins!!!

Turbos aren't "prejudiced" - they'll be more than happy to blow up any engine you bolt them onto if you don't have your engine tuned properly.

Never looked, but I know in a prior thread I looked up weights, and was surprised that the 3.5 EB weighed about the same as 5.0.

When it comes to upgrading my pickup I might just have to consider a Ecoboost. Coming from a guy who only ever owns toyotas. I have never thought highly of ford (other than their diesels) but their gas powered vehicles are coming along nicely...along with a few other brands too

Not much frontal area on that trailer he's towing. Pretty short grade, too. But it does very well for 215 cubic inches. Would I ditch my 5.9 Cummins for it? No.

GM should put a couple of turbos on their 4.3L Gen V V6 and tune it for about 400 HP @ 5200 rpm. It'd get better fuel economy than the EB Ford, and be a lot cheaper to manufacture.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Not much frontal area on that trailer he's towing. Pretty short grade, too. But it does very well for 215 cubic inches. Would I ditch my 5.9 Cummins for it? No.

GM should put a couple of turbos on their 4.3L Gen V V6 and tune it for about 400 HP @ 5200 rpm. It'd get better fuel economy than the EB Ford, and be a lot cheaper to manufacture.

I wonder... could they do something with turbo above engine, in the V area? You know, something to fix plumbing issues.

Few pounds of boost should do wonders for most any engine.

That's amazing a 3.5 can tow that much. I just got back from a trip to WV (Interstate 68, which has some very steep grades) and towed about 6,500# with my 4.3 Chevy. I had a pickup truck on a U-Haul car hauler. Needless to say it was straining.

Originally Posted By: supton

I wonder... could they do something with turbo above engine, in the V area? You know, something to fix plumbing issues.

Few pounds of boost should do wonders for most any engine.

It wouldn't be easy to put a turbo in the Vee of the GM 4.3. It's pretty busy in there with the balance shaft and oil manifold for the AFM system. I was thinking more along the lines of one turbo mounted outside each bank.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
That's amazing a 3.5 can tow that much. I just got back from a trip to WV (Interstate 68, which has some very steep grades) and towed about 6,500# with my 4.3 Chevy. I had a pickup truck on a U-Haul car hauler. Needless to say it was straining.

I could believe it on those older 4.3's. Still: was it to the floor, or was it just spinning at high rpm? IIRC the 4L60 was the real limitation; big gear splits.

It wouldn't be easy to put a turbo in the Vee of the GM 4.3. It's pretty busy in there with the balance shaft and oil manifold for the AFM system. I was thinking more along the lines of one turbo mounted outside each bank.

Gotcha. Bummer. Well, it's certainly doable, although I guess the move today is towards higher boost and smaller engines.

Originally Posted By: Bud_One
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
The question in my mind is how many times can you do it before something blows.

+1 - Exactly

My thoughts exactly. He compares it to a diesel. I'd be willing to bet the diesels he referred to will outlast the EB making repeated runs up that grade.
27.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back