A little confusion at Firestone..

Status
Not open for further replies.
2016 V6 Honda Accord

I normally go to the dealer to get oil changes, since the car is new. I was out of town and went to a Firestone. The guy at the counter said that his system was pulling up that my vehicle required synthetic with dexos1. I had a promotional coupon, so I didn't know if he was trying to just push me to a higher oil change. I looked up the owner's manual and it did not state it required synthetic, but it did recommend 0w20 which seems to only come in a blend or full synthetic. I particularly says not to use any cleaners While I was there, he told me that dexos1 was required due to it having cleaning agents. Dexos1 seems to be used in GM vehicles.

Since there was so much confusion, I found another coupon for a penzoil full synthetic oil change for 55 (original standard oil change was 20). He said that will work. I just looked at my paperwork and it states he put in Dexos.

Will this damage the engine due to the cleaners? It's a new car, so I don't want to void the warranty in any way. The car has a oil life monitor. I believe that it goes about 10k before saying you need an oil change.

It's ridiculous to suggest that a Honda would require dexos1, as that is a GM spec as you noted.

That said, I doubt very much that the oil will cause any trouble in your car. Do you know exactly what oil they actually used? As far as cleaning agents are concerned, most any decent oil you buy these days will have detergents in them at levels that will be beneficial, not damaging, to your vehicle. It would be a bigger worry to use something like a dollar store oil that has NO detergents! I would definitely turn down any "cleaning" oil ADDITIVES that a change place may try to sell, it's very unlikely that they will do you any good and it's possible they might be harmful.

One issue with quick change places is that they will often say misleading or incorrect things in an effort to upsell you. It's best to have your manual handy to show them exactly what is recommended and tell them they have to follow it.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi

One issue with quick change places is that they will often say misleading or incorrect things in an effort to upsell you. It's best to have your manual handy to show them exactly what is recommended and tell them they have to follow it.

This.

I've also never been to a Firestone that has competent people working there. I'm sure they are out there, I just haven't seen one yet. My GF got new tires put on her BMW 325xi. They told her she needed an alignment. She declined the alignment since she was going to a better shop back near her house that specializes in BMWs. They told her she had to pay for it since they already started and couldn't take the car down. I had to call the manager.

He was trying to upsell you. Not the worse thing because the Accord does recommend 0w20.

Dexos is just a license. It is a back-handed way for GM to gain a revenue source from oil companies due to their market share. Shell/Pennzoil just has the license just because it does not want to be excluded. Most 0w20 will be licensed with Dexos because they are only in blend/syn flavors as is most Dexos oil.

Now, lets have a discussion about these "cleaners"....

what???? All major oils have "cleaers" or detergents/dispersants. That is normal... additional additives are not needed but detergent in the oil from a major blender is normal.

Their computer is jacked!
Honda would never specify you must use oil that meets a GM spec.
Oil that meets Dexos spec is good oil, however.

Originally Posted By: FutureDoc

Dexos is just a license. It is a back-handed way for GM to gain a revenue source from oil companies due to their market share. Shell/Pennzoil just has the license just because it does not want to be excluded. Most 0w20 will be licensed with Dexos because they are only in blend/syn flavors as is most Dexos oil.

They guy was a jerk and probably has a horrible boss that FORCES him to upsell a better service (I've been in those shoes!!!)...

Absolutely..........
A funny note though. Remember Honda used to supply some Saturn engines:)
Of course remember AMC- lets not. just for grins....

Originally Posted By: Linctex

Their computer is jacked!
Honda would never specify you must use oil that meets a GM spec.
Oil that meets Dexos spec is good oil, however.

They guy was a jerk and probably has a horrible boss that FORCES him to upsell a better service (I've been in those shoes!!!)...

So it's GF5 oil ? - if it's the correct viscosity and you did not overpay - he's just rambling wrt Dexos ...
The last change I did at Firestone - watched him pull Pennzoil Platinum from a six gallon container ...

Perhaps it's no mistake that their computer says Hondas need Dexos oil. It's a spec that can cover a lot of bases for newer cars. It'll be at least a blend so that's a plus too.

I think they can carry either - my son gets Pennzoil Gold changed at a Firestone ...

Wow, why does that kind of kraph still keep happening with today's instant information? I wouldn't sweat it though.

This is funny.

Firestone is upselling the fact that they have only Dexos oil for 0w-20???
So, whether you buy the upsell or not, he will put the same oil. LOL.
Or, I am not sure what they put if you don't buy the upsell.

Last time I went to Firestone was more than 20 years ago.
They upsell everything and I got taken because I was stupid then.
You just have to learn to say "NO" when you go to them for service.

At any rate, it will not ruin your car.
Dexos certification is in almost all popular brand oil out there anyway.

Last edited:
It was a year ago when they did the PP - but I've seen MC even in stock - would think they are given some latitude for a few popular lubes - our Mobil 1 Express carries MC & T6

Well, the Accord specs 0w-20 and I can't think of any major 0w-20 off the top of my head that does not carry that darn Dexos license. Anyone?

Well, the Accord specs 0w-20 and I can't think of any major 0w-20 off the top of my head that does not carry that darn Dexos license. Anyone?

Tropartic makes a 0W-20 blend that isn't Dexos, but you're basically right - any of the big boys M1, Castrol, PP or Valvoline - all their synthetic 0W-20s meet the spec. For $55, the OP did OK in the big picture.

Not true. Its not merely a 'license'. The dexos1 specification is just that, a performance specification, and tougher than SN alone. Almost all major 0w20 oils out there are dexos1 anyway.

In short, dexos1 is not a disqualifier; on the contrary, its a qualifier for a better oil than plain SN GF-5 oils.

The Firestone shop worker was merely noting that all their 0w20 is dexos1 qualified, thats all. Just meant they don't carry the TGMO, MGMO, or Honda 0w20s that don't bother with dexos1 tests.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back