New Ford F-150 3.5 ecoboost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's my questions. Bought this new, have 6000 miles on it had the dealer do the semi synthetic oil change. I have 3 move free oil changes with the Ford semi synthetic oil. I would prefer Mobil 1 extended in it. Over the long haul, do you think the semi over the full synthetic will make any difference? I drive it easy , no towing, and don't beat on it. Appreciate your thoughts.

Get your money's worth out of the free oil changes then do whatever rustles your jimmies after that.

+1; let them do the free changes, make sure it's 5w30 (on F150 forums a lot of time the dealer puts in 5w20 instead in the EB) then go with what you want.

Or, if you don't mind paying for the extra changes yourself, just put your oil in next time the OLM goes off.

Likely no different in wear over 20k miles.

Motorcraft is good oil. Get the free oil changes and then do whatever you want.

Don't be afraid to get into the engine occasionally. These turbo-DI engines are not good "city driving" engines. So put it into sport mode and have some fun to warm them up. They like to be driven.

Fuel dilution can also be a problem, so I recommend a UOA to see what's happening inside the block.

Forget free oil changes. How much you will save? Engines are expensive, oil is cheap.
That engine has fuel dilution issue. Personally, I would use M1 0W40 FS or Castrol 0W40.

I agree with Edyvw on this for the most part. Get either Castrol 0w40 or Mobil 1 0w40 and run either one of them. I would add Castrol Magnatec 5w30 to the list because on here it has held up it's viscosity very well in these ecoboost motors.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Onug
Motorcraft is good oil. Get the free oil changes and then do whatever you want.

Don't be afraid to get into the engine occasionally. These turbo-DI engines are not good "city driving" engines. So put it into sport mode and have some fun to warm them up. They like to be driven.

Fuel dilution can also be a problem, so I recommend a UOA to see what's happening inside the block.

I recognize you have an EB, but is all of this true for the completely new EB with dual injection? The new motor shares the same displacement. That's it.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
Forget free oil changes. How much you will save? Engines are expensive, oil is cheap.
That engine has fuel dilution issue. Personally, I would use M1 0W40 FS or Castrol 0W40.

This engine has been out since December. Did I miss UOA's that show this engine has fuel dilution issues?

I tell them to keep the free oil changes. Too much hassle for me to go back to the dealer for an oil change. Then there's the risk of one of the many horror stories we often read here about an oil change gone bad at the dealer. To me it isn't worth it. Mobi1 1 5W30 EP is a good choice.

Originally Posted By: edyvw

What is this'fuel dilution issue'?
Mine is a 2016 not a 2017.

I would also use the free dealer oil changes. Syn blend will not hurt your engine at all. Plus, the dealer will have record of this maintenance.

What makes you thing the Mobil will do a better job other than in sub freezing temps? The oils mostly fuel dilute over the oil change interval.The posted uoas are a valuable tool use them

Originally Posted By: Timo325
Do the free changes. The oil is decent, and your not doing anything tough to it.

Agreed!

That's it - long term I'd use the M1 EP - but won't hurt the dealer to see the vehicle a couple times more ...

FYI the over the road trucks get a million miles + running conventional oil. If there was a real advantage running syn oil wouldn't you think they would run syn oil in their $50,000.00 engines?

I have Delvac 1300 in my 5.3L but zero chance that's going in my ecoboost under warranty - Motorcraft oils are just middle of the road like a Ford power train warranty is ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back