Which oil do I use!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my girlfriend just recently picked up a 2017 Toyota Corolla.
Toyota says change your oil every 10,000! Not a chance that's going to happen!
I plan on changing the oil every 5,000-6,000 miles.
Where we live it gets 115 degrees in the summer time and very mild winters. Maybe down to 28 degrees.
The car calls for 0w-20 oil. Now I know any oil should do.
But I would prefer a thicker 0w-20. Just for peace of mind.
I plan on using either Toyota OEM or Mobil 1 oil filter.

I'm like you,there's no way I'd leave oil in my car for 10,000 miles. I prefer Pennzoil synthetics. I'm going to use Pennzoil Platinum 0W20 in my Accord,maybe an M1 filter. $22 a jug,hard to beat!

Originally Posted By: Tobin28

Tell me what engineering you've done to find fault with Toyota's engineering?

The Toyota 0w20 oil is good stuff. No need to look for anything "better."

Use Toyota filters while under warranty is my advice

Only 115 degree? Ha! We got you beat
cool.gif

Seriously though, 10k isn't that far. Plenty of us on here have run 10k+ and have had UOAs showing the oil still has plenty of life left.

Some people are going to follow the directions and manual no matter what, some people know from experience you can deviate.
I am with the deviation crowd because I saw cars started in below 0 with 15w40 and contrary to popular belief no oil becomes solid after 32 degrees and fuel and air are issues long before oil.
I would use 5w30 if it makes you feel better but I would definitely change it at 5,000 or 6,000. Contrary to what the engineers have concluded I am sure it has to do with fuel mileage with a "Reasonable" life span and longivity of the engine which could vary anywhere from warranty period to 100,000 miles.
It's your car, not theirs and it's not like they never designed a bad car or engine.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Only 115 degree? Ha! We got you beat
cool.gif

Seriously though, 10k isn't that far. Plenty of us on here have run 10k+ and have had UOAs showing the oil still has plenty of life left.

Which I will never understand because most of us get oil on specials, with rebates or clearance and change our oil for cheap so why push the oil changes out. My next oil change will cost me in my Hemi, Less than $5.
.45 cents a quart for close out 5w30 Armilie oil (7 qts) and a Clearance Purolator oil filter for $1.50. Why stretch oil changes for less than $5, I never pay over $10 in oil/ filters. Plus we all have enough oil stashed I ll probably have to leave it in my will.

Originally Posted By: Linctex

great post,,we should all read our owners manual,,IMHO Toyota is not gonna tell you to use junk oil,,mercy.

TSB's come out all the time that show engineering wasn't up to snuff so that question really means very little. Time and use trump that. The only real way to know if the engineering was good is by long term use.

Toyota Malaysia says change your (corolla) fully synthetics oils in every 5000 ...... km, not miles !!
https://toyota.com.my/aftersales-services/toyota-careplus

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant

TSB's come out all the time that show engineering wasn't up to snuff so that question really means very little. Time and use trump that. The only real way to know if the engineering was good is by long term use.

This is the part I would be concerned about if it is a new design motor.
We all know there are several engine models that even if followed the OEM recomendations for oil grade and interval, they sludge up. Toyota, Ford, Chevy are all guilty, as I am sure others are.

For the OP, as far as I know, the motors in that Corolla are not known to have sludge issues and have been around for a while. My concern for a 10,000 mile OCi is the small sump that they have. If I was doing mostly highway, I might do it, but I know for my driving conditions, they fall under severe, and doesn't Toyota have a shorter interval for that?

Nothing wrong with 5-6k oci in your new corolla. I wouldn't mind doing 10k but only w a good brand full syn oil. Also, I like 5w20 or 5 / 10w30 in CA

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant

I see this all the time at Acura and with BMW. Both of them really messed up the oil change interval, oil burning issues, sludge issues. I don't trust manufacturers oil change intervals as far as I can throw a litre of oil.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
+1. Very well stated Panzerman.

+2.

And please consider me in your "oil will."
laugh.gif

I consider what OEMs state for oil type and OCI's. But I don't blindly follow them. Trust....yet verify. I'm not using the OEM oil grade in either of my 2 vehicles. Good long term results that support that notion. Once an OEM back-specs oil grades, the "trust" factor goes out the window.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back