Toro TXP 159cc OHV - oil recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I just purchased a Toro Super Recycler with the 7.25 ft-lb Gross Torque Toro TXP 159cc OHV with AutoChoke.

Although the shop I bought it from said to change the oil at the end of the season, I though I would be safe and change the oil after the 5 hour break in period the manual recommends. I spent a lot of money on this mower and want it to last.

The manual calls for 0.5L of SAE 30 or SAE 10W-30 detergent oil.

My cars all run synthetic oil... question is should I also run synthetic in my push mower?

What does everyone recommend for lawn mower oil?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Any HDEO or Synthetic 10W30 would be more than adequate .
Currently running HDEO 15W40/10W30 in my OPE push and riding mowers.

Last edited:
I like it for the zinc. I also like the high TBN. If it will hold up in turbo diesels, it should hold up in my push mower.
grin2.gif

This is from the amsoil site;

"Series 3000 5W-30 Synthetic Heavy Duty Diesel Oil is recommended for diesel engines, including those that are turbocharged, gasoline engines and other applications that require any of the following specifications:

API CI-4+, CI-4, CH-4, CF-2, CF, SL, SJ
ACEA A3/B3, E2, E3, E5, E7
Global DHD-1
JASO DH-1
Mack EO-M, EO-N
DDC 93K214
Caterpillar ECF-1-a, ECF-2
Cummins CES 20076, 20077, 20078
Volvo VDS-2, VDS-3 • MB 228.1, 228.3, 229.1
MAN 271/3275
MTU Type II "

Typical Technical Properties –
AMSOIL Series 3000 5W-30 Synthetic Heavy Duty Diesel Oil (HDD)
Kinematic Viscosity @ 100 ̊C, cSt (ASTM D445)
Kinematic V
iscosity @ 40 ̊C, cSt (ASTM D445)
V
iscosity Index (ASTM D2270)
Cold Crank Simulator Appar
ent Viscosity @ -30 ̊C, cP (ASTM D5293)
Pour Point, ̊C ( ̊F) (ASTM D97)
-47 (-53)
Flash Point, ̊C ( ̊F) (ASTM D92)
228 (442)
Fir
e Point, ̊C ( ̊F) (ASTM D92)
238 (460)
NOACK V
olatility (ASTM D5800) % weight loss
High-T
emperature/High-Shear Viscosity, cP (ASTM D5481)
Four
-Ball Wear Test (ASTM D4172) Scar, mm
T
otal Base Number
........................................................................................

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jbedford
Wow! That's a lot of technical jargon... Thanks! I will move to 5W-30 synthetic oil when I change my oil. Thank you!

I'm sure the small engine oil would work fine too. What i am using is probably total overkill for a pushmower.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
I'm sure the small engine oil would work fine too. What i am using is probably total overkill for a pushmower.

Overkill, maybe... but for a few extra bucks, well worth it in my mind.

I appreciate the help! Thanks!

Originally Posted By: Bud_One
Any HDEO or Synthetic 10W30 would be more than adequate .
Currently running HDEO 15W40

Same here.

Rotella 15W-40 or Super Tech 15w-40 in all OPE.

My cars all run synthetic oil... question is should I also run synthetic in my push mower?
Yes, you can. It will hold well to the heat. 5w30 synthetic is as good as 10w30 conventional, if not better.
What does everyone recommend for lawn mower oil?
For myself, I been using 10w30 PYB in all my unfiltered engines. QSUD 5w30 is in my snowblower. M1EP 5w30 in my zero turn. The zero turn will get M1TDT 5w40 in its next oil change, that I got for a good deal.
Thanks!

Last edited:
If you run a synthetic 5W30 or 10W30 oil in your car already, then just run what you use in your car.

If your car calls for a 20 weight, and you have to go out and buy oil for your mower, then ANY synthetic 10W30 would be a good choice.

Heavy duty engine oil 10W30 (Rotella, Delo, etc) would also be a good choice. Most of these are dual rated for use in diesel and gasoline engines.

Rotella T5 semi synthetic 10W-30,
or when it becomes available, T6 full synthetic in 10W-30.

Just bagged 20 quarts for a dollar fifty, after rebates and coupons...

The mower will not care what oil is run in it just so it meets the specs. Use what you run in the car if it is the proper viscosity. 5W-30 will work fine just keep an eye on the oil level.

Bought that exact mower, super recycler and have used it twice. After the 5th cut I'm going to run the Amsoil 10w30 small engine oil and change it every season.. had a JD JX 75 for 20 years that I just retired and that's what it got once Amsoil introduced it. Before that Amsoil 10w30 synthetic.

Will it hurt the mower to run 5W-30 when it calls for 10E-30?

I'm sure it will run just fine on 5w-30 but for warranty sake I would use what is recommended. If they can find any little thing to void your warranty they will.

We buy a nice new expensive mower that "want to last a lone time" and immediately we want to change the recommended oil viscosity-good sensible thinking? This in an engine that uses a quart or less to change. Ed

Once again, stick with a 10 w 30. It will handle fuel dilution a bit better. Possibly more stable too. That said , I use 5w30 in the Chonda on my snow blower. I like being able to start it on the first pull at 12F.

Originally Posted By: Duffyjr
Will it hurt the mower to run 5W-30 when it calls for 10E-30?

I'm sure it will run just fine on 5w-30 but for warranty sake I would use what is recommended. If they can find any little thing to void your warranty they will.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
We buy a nice new expensive mower that "want to last a lone time" and immediately we want to change the recommended oil viscosity-good sensible thinking? This in an engine that uses a quart or less to change. Ed

Originally Posted By: andyd
Once again, stick with a 10 w 30. It will handle fuel dilution a bit better. Possibly more stable too. That said , I use 5w30 in the Chonda on my snow blower. I like being able to start it on the first pull at 12F.

The guy lives in Canada. I'm pretty sure his climate is mild and his mowing season short. If his car already uses synthetic 5W30, then that would work great in his mower without him having to buy and stock a different oil. It wont kill any warranty, and will handle the 50 hour oil change interval just fine without any fuel dilution issues.

Briggs has this to say about synthetic 5W30, and I can't find any fault with their recommendation:
"A synthetic oil SAE 5W-30 is the best for very cold temperatures of -20 to as high as 120° F (-30 to 40° C) providing the best protection at all temperatures as well as improved starting with less oil consumption."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back