Toppin up a sealed motorcycle battery

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have a sealed(maintenance free) motorcycle battery, should I top it off or not worth it?

So far, no problems with anything
smile.gif

Since, we are at it, how often maintenance ones be topped off? Once after every 2-3 months or?

Thanks for the help.

Originally Posted By: user52165
Sealed but you can top it off??

Yeah, I did see some videos where they are removing that sealed area and topping it up.

Great, thanks.

I'll just leave it alone, what about the one which does needs maintenance and periodic top ups, how often that should be done?

Thanks

Originally Posted By: bioburner
I used to check at least monthly and top of with distilled water

Thanks, on my NH750 it's in a very awkward position and whole battery tray needs to come out for topping up, means removing everything.

But, I'll stick to monthly now.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
I have popped the tops off of "sealed" batteries and found them nearly empty of fluid.

So is it worth it to prolong the life of battery?

so how do sealed lead acid batteries work? They have to vent somehow and then they would be low. I can see how an AGM would be sealed but not a lead acid. I stopped by AAP to look at batteries and I only saw sealed so I went with a Durmast Gold. I can pop the cap off.

its likely an agm.
dont open it unless it is showing distress.
like slower than normal cranking even fully charged.
then you might squeeze a bit more life from it by opening it up and adding a small amount of distilled water to each cell.
a cc or 2 in each.
i use an impedance tester to monitor any effect.add,test,add again till no more improvement is noted.
at this point you have nothing to lose but a bit of time.and its worth it if it gets you a few more years.
i have recovered some very expensive agm industrial batteries that were overcharged or by design lose water.
i am currently running a 1000ah gnb absolyte bank that was turned in for scrap at 5 years.
adding water and equalizing it brought the ir back to new specs.
not bad for about $10k in free batteries.

Yes you can remove very carefully the sealing lid so as you do not damage it with a knife and add very little distilled water. Just a couple of drops in each cell.I tried this but added too much water with no damage but because i lowered the acid density quite a bit, the resting fully charged voltage got about 0,1 volt lowered. No problems however.I personally would do that to a battery older than 4 or 5 years or to one that drains fast after some years of service. My original ytx9 ninja 250r battery is still working with no problems after 8+ years, with an alarm system installed for the last 5 years...

Battery Tenders are the best thing I've found to prolong small battery life. I leave them plugged into toy batteries 24/7.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back