DEXRON VI. MOBIL V VALVOLINE V AC DELCO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need some help.
I am draining and filling sis chevy 2016 equinox.
The transmission is 6t45.

It has less than 20k miles but i would like to do yearly drain and fill on the atf after the honda accord experience
smile.gif

Q. I have access to valvoline full synthetic dexron vi at 5 bucks a quart. But the flash point is not as high as mobil semi syn. I think 200c v 220c for mobil 1. Then there is ac delco full syn. Dexron vi. So any advice on which you would use.

Q. Anyone drained a 6t45 cold like in the morning after sitting all night and measured how much came out. I plan on filling exactly the same amount as that came out and avoid messing with the check level hole on the side. Thanks GM for the dipstick absence.

Thanks

Supertech DVI. Cheap and licensed so yearly drains will be cheap, easy, and meet specs. I did this on a Yukon and it worked great.

If fluid level is low to begin with, then how will you know if the fluid level is correct?

I think my Malibu has the same trans. When i did mine i drained it cold and refilled with 4.5Q. I did use the check plug Just to make sure though. I used stp dexronV i got for $2.99 a Q.

Originally Posted By: BigD1
If fluid level is low to begin with, then how will you know if the fluid level is correct?

She bought it new. No leaks. If it is low then going by the book it will not be checked until the 45k service. But i also know what you are saying !!!

Well i might loosen up the check bolt a tad bit just to see one drop of her red blood. But i would like to avoid the dripping scenario where you judge the drip flow to tell how full or low it is !!!

Originally Posted By: gabriel9766
I think my Malibu has the same trans. When i did mine i drained it cold and refilled with 4.5Q. I did use the check plug Just to make sure though. I used stp dexronV i got for $2.99 a Q.

Thanks ya 4.5 quarts is what i was thinking too. I think it is over by 0.2 quarts
smile.gif

Hey does your 2.4 engine recommend 0w20? The equinox 2.4 specs 5w30.

If you do it every year then used what ever is the cheapest that meets the Dex-VI spec. If you were going for every 50k or something then I would be more picky.

I have a CTS with the 6L50 trans and will be using Valvoline Maxlife in it. It has a little over 40k on it right now.

I think the Valvoline FS D6 is a good choice @ $5 a quart.
I had the 6t45 in my Chevy Cruze (I think) and I did a D&R as you describe (draining it cold and measuring what came out)....it ran perfectly afterwards...(I also added LG red)....

PS: I agree that the trend toward sealed trannies is a step backward (and designed to make us go to the dealer for their $$$$ 'service') .....

Use a licensed Dexron VI during the warranty period. Maxlife is not licensed. But as already pointed out, there are plenty of affordable licensed Dexron VI options out there, such as Walmart Dexron VI.

If your transmission doesn't have a drain plug, get the Dorman pan that has one
smile.gif

Our Cruze Dex VI looked like 10k motor oil at 40k - so now do at 20k OCI. 11 mm wrench and 4 quarts
(my ramps) - faster than oil change really ...
Used AC Delco, Transmax, and Maxlife so far ...

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Our Cruze Dex VI looked like 10k motor oil at 40k - so now do at 20k OCI. 11 mm wrench and 4 quarts
(my ramps) - faster than oil change really ...
Used AC Delco, Transmax, and Maxlife so far ...

Was that on factory fill dex vi that it looked like used motor oil at 40k?

Yes - the FF was black - had I not been changing the oil (10 mm) would have thought I pulled the wrong plug
wink.gif

I dont think dorman pan is needed as we can already drain the atf. They are nice as i have one on my expi with the so called dipstick.!!!
Anyone tried a magnetic drain plug for these trannys?

Well my Ford says 150k - then you read the Paul Harvey chapter ? as early as 30k ...

Ya i m leaning towards valv full syn dex 6 at 5 bucks a quart. Its also licensed by gm !

And ya i changed the atf in the expedition for the first time at 168k miles even though it ran like a champ. The big magnet had about 6 ounces of meatal shavings. Installed the dorman with drain plug and have done about 4 drains in the last 15k miles. Runs great. The first atf drained at 168k still was not black in color but brownish with hint of red lol.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back