Quaker State vs Pennzoil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since SOPUS owns both Quaker State and Pennzoil brands, is there now any real significant difference between them - given the same weight (such as 5W-30) and type (dino vs synthetic)

NOPE
smile.gif

More proof that people buy into marketing. I've used hundreds of gallons of QSGB without issue, varnish or sludge

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say that there are differences but they aren't significant.
I would be more comfortable extending my OCI (a little bit) on PYB than on QSGB simply because it has a higher TBN
and a little more additives according to PQIA....iirc...

Pennzoil is SOPUS flagship brand...

The QSUD tests out higher on the 540 RAT testing....which means it's a better oil for that test. Take it for what it's worth.

These are different oils with different add packs and may have different basestock blends.
QS is positioned as the value brand with Pennzoil as the premium one.
That said, I'd doubt that you'd see any differences between the two in service.

My last oil change in my 97 Ford F150 was with QSGB and all is well. I like it pretty well so far in the truck. I'd use it again but I don't have any more QSGB in my stash of oil for the 150. What is fun about the oil is just when I changed it to the QS my milage did a spike. It could be summer blend gas or it could be my rebuilt engine finally is getting better milage. It could just be my engine likes QS and rewarded me with more miles. Whatever the real answer I like the oil and I am glad I am finally getting better milage on the rebuilt engine. FYI I went from 12.4 mpg to 14.6 on a pretty regular basis. My highway milage jumped to 18.7. I have the 4.6 liter auto with 4x4.

Really though I think it is coincidence the milage went up just about oil change time but bottom line is I will be using this oil again in my vehicle. Meanwhile I have a 5 qt. jug of Pennzoil premium synthetic I got cheap with rebate. I'm certainly not picky about what oil I use with this vehicle.

For the synthetic, Pennzoil Platinum is always GTL oil, QS is rumored to use GTL if it is plentiful (it is not right now), but normally is made from hydro-cracked crude oil.

Both oils (conventional and synthetic) are good oils too choose from. From VOA and UOA, there are some differences between them, but not anything significant.

+1 , same goes for synthetic (generally) although differences between the two are perhaps slimmer .
Originally Posted By: pbm
I would say that there are differences but they aren't significant.
I would be more comfortable extending my OCI (a little bit) on PYB than on QSGB simply because it has a higher TBN
and a little more additives according to PQIA....iirc...

Pennzoil is SOPUS flagship brand...

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Quaker State definitely gets a lower treat rate than comparable Pennzoil products but they are still good

The two companies bid their business separately so that overall, Shell get the best deals on additive systems. The Pennzoil business is larger than QS so which AddCo do you think wins the bigger prize, the one with the higher treat or the one with the lower treat???

Originally Posted By: HouseTiger
Since SOPUS owns both Quaker State and Pennzoil brands, is there now any real significant difference between them - given the same weight (such as 5W-30) and type (dino vs synthetic)

Prior to SOPUS transitioning Pennzoil synthetics over to GTL, I believe PP and QSUD were very close in formulation.. the Quaker State just had the weaker advertising and lower price point. Now that they've went to GTL, I assume they are a bit different now. I emailed QS a while back and they confirmed their synthetics are not GTL. I'd still use both worry free and have both synthetics in my stash.

I believe PYB and QS green bottle are comparable like Budweiser and Bud Light.. The PYB being the Budweiser of the 2. Their formulations are very close. *A while back Pennzoil admitted they were dumping surplus GTL in their PYB 10w30. I have no idea if they still do this (I personally doubt it with low fuel prices) or if they do/ did this with it's QS cousin.

Last edited:
Don't forget about Formula Shell. Home Depot has it on sale periodically for less than $10 a jug. Don't know where it fits in the SOPUS pecking order.

Thanks for the responses. Been using the Pennzoil Platinum anyway, but always sort of wondered whether the QS was the 'second son' of Shell. Just don't see the advertising out and in your face like with Pennzoil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back