Prius burns oil, how to prevent from happening?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: kschachn
Brakes and braking.

Unless they are broke, of course.

Thank you. I seem to remember that for about 3 days after I get schooled on it online. When will I learn?

Oil consumption in high mileage Prius is not only common, it's nearly ubiquitous. The disassembled, oil consuming, Prius engines typically show no real cylinder wear. In fact, the cross hatch pattern is almost always clearly visible all the way to the top of the cylinder. The rings, however, are worn, and and the ring lands are generally loaded with carbon. Probably due to ring seal issues.

It's my belief that the low viscosity oil simply does not protect the rings well enough to prevent rapid wear. Some Prius owners are using high viscosity synthetic oils, in an attempt to mitigate oil consumption, generally with good results.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
... The disassembled, oil consuming, Prius engines typically show no real cylinder wear. In fact, the cross hatch pattern is almost always clearly visible all the way to the top of the cylinder. The rings, however, are worn, and and the ring lands are generally loaded with carbon. ...
Is that, in your opinion, any different from what happens to certain other modern Toyotas and various other brands that guzzle oil with clogged ring lands, clogged oil drain oils, etc.?

Originally Posted By: CR94
... The disassembled, oil consuming, Prius engines typically show no real cylinder wear. In fact, the cross hatch pattern is almost always clearly visible all the way to the top of the cylinder. The rings, however, are worn, and and the ring lands are generally loaded with carbon. ...
Is that, in your opinion, any different from what happens to certain other modern Toyotas and various other brands that guzzle oil with clogged ring lands, clogged oil drain oils, etc.?

Good question. If I were to guess, I'd have to say there may be differences. The use of synthetic oil and frequent oil changes does not seem to be the answer for Prius owners. Many examples of one owner cars, who use a quality synthetic and change every 5000, still experience oil consumption at the normal point.

I speculate the rings actually require a better lubricant and that a quality higher viscosity is what's required.

This page is interesting: https://priuschat.com/threads/2008-prius-burning-oil-at-135-000-miles.119318/page-4

There is one guy who has switched to 10W-40 with good results and is over 400K miles.

dscn3795-jpg.58275

dscn3786-jpg.58266

dscn3686-jpg.58093

dscn3685-jpg.58092

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CR94

Good question. If I were to guess, I'd have to say there may be differences. The use of synthetic oil and frequent oil changes does not seem to be the answer for Prius owners. Many examples of one owner cars, who use a quality synthetic and change every 5000, still experience oil consumption at the normal point.

I speculate the rings actually require a better lubricant and that a quality higher viscosity is what's required.

This page is interesting: https://priuschat.com/threads/2008-prius-burning-oil-at-135-000-miles.119318/page-4

There is one guy who has switched to 10W-40 with good results and is over 400K miles.

dscn3795-jpg.58275

dscn3786-jpg.58266

dscn3686-jpg.58093

dscn3685-jpg.58092

On my 08 prius I had just begun testing (since I put on so many miles so quickly) the difference between running rotella t6 5w40 and a 0w20. Had the T6 in there for 300 miles before the wife crashed it, but no oil burned and it always seemed to wipe off the dip stick black after a few hundred miles but this was still very clean...not much of a conclusion, but now that I have a car that I do not believe is burning yet, Id like to prevent it!

Would switching from 0w20 to a 5w20 be a step in the right direction? Most 0w20's have a lower HTHS than the 5w20's id be running (pennzoil ultra 5w20 and RLI 5w20). I don't feel comfortable running diesel oil in my prius quite yet...

That little gasoline engine in the Prius is not a normal 4-stroke now is it? And why no smog checks (not even in CA) on those dirty little high mileage petrol burner hybrids?

TGMO is an inexpensive Grp III loaded with VIIs to give it the VI that it has.
Nothing more nor less.
It is hardly a magic oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back