Not a motorcycle: YXZ1000R 800 miles VR1 20w50

Status
Not open for further replies.
Average RPM 7500. Lowest used RPM, 4500.

Total hours on motor are under 60. Just hit 2100 miles.

The iron and aluminium content concerns me.

Checked valves yesterday and they were all perfectly at the loose end of spec. Yamaha specs checking them at 600 miles. I checked them at 2k. Will check them again at 10k.

Thoughts on results?
mo5F0PA.jpg

Last edited:
Next couple drains should look better, think it is still flushing wear in metals. Is this VR1?

Good numbers for an engine that operates at 7500 RPM!

Don't expect it to go 300,000 miles, though.......

2100 miles in under 60 hours on a side by side...WOW! I'm using the Vr1 20w50 in my Harley and have been pleased so far. No UOA but it get's some great reviews here and on the Harley forums.

Quote:
What is this side by side used for?

Mainly back roads cruising. Some occasional jumps onto the interstate. Never more than 15 miles or so. Running 9K rpm at 85.

Unit actually had 10 hours and nearly zero miles on it when I bought it. Some idiot had left the key on.

I knew this UOA was a little early, but meet in mind, the highest mileage I can find on one of these in the entire country is under 12K miles.

Gonna do another around 5k and see what's going on.

Oil is the VR1 high zinc that AutoZone was closing out.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SuzukiGoat
Quote:
What is this side by side used for?

Mainly back roads cruising. Some occasional jumps onto the interstate. Never more than 15 miles or so. Running 9K rpm at 85.

What!? Isn't this an off road vehicle? Like a big ATV that you drive around the farm, and not street legal?

Decent UOA.

Not sure how/why you're on an interstate with this thing.

And despite the inference of your thread title, it's more of a motorcycle that anything else in terms of the UOA. Not many cars today AVERAGE 7500 rpm ...
Isn't this engine an outgrowth of the FZ9 motor?

Originally Posted By: dnewton3

Isn't this engine an outgrowth of the FZ9 motor?

Nope, it's actually derived from the FJR1300 engine (or its ancestors were, ie. 973cc carbureted and later 1049cc FI snowmobile engines). YOu may want to compare wear number to said snowmobiles, though sleds obviously do not have to contend with dust, which could skew the results if your ride the YXR in dusty conditions.

FWIW, these engines have developed a reputation for being bulletproof since their introduction in the sled industry (the 973cc version having hit the snow for the first time in 2005). This particular engine version is based on the 998cc version used as a base for the turbocharged Yamaha Sidewinder and Arctic Cat 9000 models (which have been dynoed at over 200hp stock).

On another note, how do you like it? I must say I would love to try one (especially as it has a 5-speed tranny in place of the CVTs used in sleds)

They are excellent units. They have gotten a reputation for a weak clutch, yet I'm running a 31inch truck tire without a gear reduction. Have been known to dump the clutch on asphalt at 8k rpm.

I don't really use it for its intended purpose. The wife and I treat or like a weekend driver.

It has its benefits over CVT, it also has its weaknesses.

Tubeworks make an excellent modification for the clutch which increases lubrication when slipping the clutch. I did spring for that mod purely because of 90 degree turns on pavement. With a locked rear end and a motor which is gutless until 4500 rpm, clutch slipping is required.

Most definitely not the same. 3 cyl vs 4.

The engine is very similar to their snowmobile engine. Same top end, weaker bottom end since it is non turbo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back