Jobsite workplace slang

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomioka

$104 Site Donor 2024
Share any jobsite or workplace slang since we all could use a chuckle or two after a hard day at work.

Job's smooth sailing when there is a unplanned plan change nearing the end of a job.
A plumbing job is never complete unless you make 2-3 runs to the hardware store. Bonus when the hardware store does not have it so it takes you much longer just to get the part.
Kneepads huh cuz. When that co-worker is making nicey-nicey to the sup or bossman.

On the railroad, a goat is a locomotive in yard service, a snake is a switchman (switch person) and the snake pit the lunchroom. The barn is the shop track where the locomotives park, usually handy to the snake pit. We all know what a rat is.

The moth...always seems to be flapping furiously and circling unproductively, and always closer to the "light" of the corner office.

Swamp Pheasant - electrical engineer.

Google "Kevin Wilson The Kid (he swears)" ... I'm not linking, you can find it.

Enterprise rental car. A loafer means a vehicle needs an oil change and what not. It stands for something like lube, oil, air, ECT. I think it basically means give it a once over

Originally Posted By: E150GT
Electrical supplies have all kinds of names. Some are not appropriate for this forum

"alternative lifestyle pliers"

Conduit bender = a hickey.

Regarding diagonal cutting pliers...we occasionally call them "polders" (the other thing that holds back water in Holland).

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Originally Posted By: E150GT
Electrical supplies have all kinds of names. Some are not appropriate for this forum

"alternative lifestyle pliers"

It's just short for DIagonal Cutters, which coincidentally sounds like the word for "a long wall or embankment built to prevent flooding from the sea"...
21.gif

Originally Posted By: ChevyBadger
Escutcheons called "Donks" for their length. Self explanatory

a piece of explosion proof flexible pipe is calling something similar. but its not that censored

I'm in Retail at Meijer, and my company has a few naming quirks of it's own (at least i assume they're specific to us, i've not worked elsewhere..)
At Meijer This is a Shamrock:
40s_grey_large.jpg

(20 Bushel basket with wheels, used to collect trash and cardboard)

This is a Bullet:

the Trash Compactor is Called "the Hole in the Wall", or simply, "the Hole", for fairly obvious reasons.

and of course, a Forklift, is a "Hi-Lo"

Last edited:
At hotels the sleeve where a guest receipt is kept is called the bucket. At dealerships the window sticker is a monroney, the box is finance, and "we'll get them on the back end" referrers to finance hopefully selling extras to customers.

A "free loader" is a person who pays their credit card bill on time. They never pay interest. I'm proud to say I've been a free loader for many years.

A "bunny hug" is Saskatchewan slang for what most people call a hoodie. The average super cool dude wearing a black hoodie (with the hood up of course) would not appreciate everyone saying, "What a cute bunny hug."

"Passing gas" is what anesthesiologists do.

A BFH is a really big hammer in the oil patch.

In Air Force lexicon, a Hanger Queen is an aircraft that is perpetually broke, a Sea Gull is a pilot or WSO that searches for any reason to not fly. After all, all a sea gull does is eat, s*** and squawk, and you have to throw rocks at them to make them fly.

I heard a new one today.

In retail (in Canada) "doing a Target" is getting over-extended, then crashing and burning. As in, "We don't want to do a Target."

For any of you who don't know what happened, Target opened a large number of stores in Canada amid high expectations. But they couldn't get or keep the shelves stocked, and their prices were too high (compared to what Canadians had seen in Target stores in the US), and after a short time the whole thing collapsed. Thus, you sure don't want to "do a Target."

Air Force for the new guys:
Go get me a bucket of "prop wash".
I need a 100 yards of "flight line".
Go to the electric shop and get me a new "vortex generator".
Did you guys do a "yoo-hoo" test on #1 engine.
Quick, pull out that Gyroscope before it stops spinning and bring it over here so I can check the "rotation speed".

We have a guy at work that brings the smallest lunches every day but then eats everyone's leftover noodles or tea or bread when they order out. We call that seagullin'.

Whenever someone doesn't like something, we call that "like throwin' water on a witch".

Those are the only two clean ones I can think of.

Many years ago as an 18y/o kid, I worked a summer as a painter's helper. My painter had a low opinion of the other tradesmen on the jobsite. " they's only two things you hafta know to be a plumber- stuff rolls downhill and payday's on Friday." Electricians fared little better- red and black are hot, white is not- and payday is on friday. Fast forward 40+ years, as a professional in a Cardiac Electrophysiology Laboratory- red blood is arterial, dark blood is venous- and payday is on Friday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back