Penrite Enviro C3 5w30 - Porsche C30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was looking in Supercheap Auto yesterday for oil for wife's Captiva (settled on Magnatec DX 5W40 Dexos 2).

Saw a 10L bottle of Penrite in the diesel section with a fairly uncharacteristic price of $170ish for 10L. Penrite 5W30 C3 Synthetic.

Spun it around to have a look at the specs
ACEA C3
Porsche C30
MB 229.31.51
BMWLL-04
VW 504.00, 507.00, 505.01

Only C30 oil that I saw in the shop... chuck c30 into Lubrizol's comparison spider tool, and it looks like this is as good as it gets in Oz.

The Magnatec 5W-40 C3 is what Mitsubishi are using for their DPF engines. I gloss over the Enviro, thinking it's not for me....maybe there is some good stuff there. I got the V Twin for my bike at SC last week, POA and ester.

I was at AutoBarn today and they had Casttol Edge 0W40 C3 at half price. It was in the low $40's for 5L instead of the normal $90.

It's SN, C3, Dexos2, BMW LL-04, Porsche A40, MB 229.51, VW 502 / 505.

So higher SAPS than the Penrite above or a VW 504 / 507 oil, but still a C3 lowish SAPS oil. I almost bought it because it was such a good price, but I resisted the temptation.

Anyway, I just recently realized the logic of having a good quality full synthetic 5W30 ACEA C3 and API SN oil on hand. It's as close as you will get to a universal top-up oil for cars. My wife had a good friend around and she asked me to help her, as her low oil warning light was flashing. No Worries !!! You have come to the right place !!!

I went outside and saw a VW diesel TDI, foiled again !!!! As I had nothing but high SAPS A3/B4 oils at home. I could have done it, but I didn't want to be blamed for a blocked cat 10 years from now. Not that It would have been a big problem in reality, but people have long memories when somebody puts the wrong oil in and every ill from then on comes from that one action.

Anyway, I realized that it's better to top up a A3/B4 car with a C3 oil, than the other way around. A 5w30 synthetic C3 and SN oil would be very handy for most cars as a general top-up.

The look on my wife's face when my vast oil stash was of no use to her friend in need cut deep. Anyway, Nulon had 1 L top up bottles on sale for a good price, so I could help her out.

I just noticed that Shell Helix Ultra ECT 5W30 is MB 229.51, BMW LL-04, VW 504 / 507 and Porsche C30. It's a GTL (pure plus) full synthetic, about $80 for 5L at my local shops. I've never seen it on sale, but it's always there at full price. Strangely, they only claim OEM specs, no API and no ACEA.

The shell web page shows another Shell 5W30 ECT (emission compatible technology) coming out that is SN, C3, Dexos2, MB 229.51 and BMW LL-04. I've not seen this one in the flesh yet.

I think there's a bunch of that on the closeout bench at my local REPCO for $42 per 5L...screaming good deal for the Captiva...

My 10L Magnatec CX pail with bottom tap will be ideal for mixing blending closeout oils...LOL

Originally Posted By: Shannow

Only C30 oil that I saw in the shop... chuck c30 into Lubrizol's comparison spider tool, and it looks like this is as good as it gets in Oz.

Have a look at VW 504 / 507, it's the same as Porsche C30

But yes, the best I have seen and better than MB 229.51 or BMW LL-04

Was looking in Supercheap Auto yesterday for oil for wife's Captiva (settled on Magnatec DX 5W40 Dexos 2).

Saw a 10L bottle of Penrite in the diesel section with a fairly uncharacteristic price of $170ish for 10L. Penrite 5W30 C3 Synthetic.

Spun it around to have a look at the specs
ACEA C3
Porsche C30
MB 229.31.51
BMWLL-04
VW 504.00, 507.00, 505.01

Did they not have Edge 5w30 LL?
http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/Product/Castrol-Edge-Diesel-DPF-Engine-Oil-5W-30-LL-5-Litre/359325

Originally Posted By: supercity
Did they not have Edge 5w30 LL?

Good point, that has it too
Quote:
ACEA C3, VW 504 00/507 00, MB-approval 229.31/229.51, BMW LL-04, Porsche C30

Full Price at SCA for a 5 L container:
Castrol Edge 5W30 LL is $75 for 5L
Nulon 5W30 Euro is $70 for 5L (on sale right now for $60)
Penrite Enviro+ 5W30 C3 is $80 for 5L (but $225 for 20L, or $180 on sale right now)

Take your pick.

My local SCA didn't have any of the edge LL...

But Repco did...but they also had Helix Ultra AG on the specials desk at $41.50/5L...I walked out with 3.

.....they also had Helix Ultra AG on the specials desk at $41.50/5L...I walked out with 3.

Now that is a good price !!

Originally Posted By: chrisri
Wow. You guys pay a lot for your oil.

M1 0W40 is $109 for 5L ATM...what I paid for the Shell is about the price of regular Magnatec.

That Magnatec price is reasonable. M1 is outrageous, over here is about 10 Euro, and that's almost twice as dear as its competitor from Shell.

Originally Posted By: chrisri
That Magnatec price is reasonable. M1 is outrageous, over here is about 10 Euro, and that's almost twice as dear as its competitor from Shell.

Yeah in Australia, M1 is usually over $100 for 5L, while Magnatec is usually under $50 for 5L. Regular price.

That's why I mostly use Castrol Magnatec. The Valvoline SynPower I'm using right now was on sale at under $40 for 5L.

That Penrite Enviro+ C3 seems to be a good oil judging by the quietness of my engine, but I think I still prefer Nulon Long-life diesel 5W-30, as it's the only oil to reduce my fuel consumption (which I'm putting down to less DPF regens due to higher smoke point of this oil). I can't actually tell when my car is doing a regen but this oil is the only one that made a noticeable difference to fuel consumption over several tanks. One to consider if you need C3 or its equivalents (MB229.51, Dexos 2 - it's certified) etc.

Thanks for the idea Doug, local mobil bloke sells on consignment, so is a bit sketchy.

Got the next 30,000km on the Captiva covered with the Shell.

Colorado is Holden fixed price while under warranty.

But once out, then that's a serious contender.

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
it may be worth you contacting your local Mobil Distributor about Delvac LE 5W-30 and its pricing
I buy it in a 20 ltr container

Nice. I think they might in the States, too. Here, nope. It's odd packaging, even by Imperial Oil standards, 4 x 3.785 L.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back