It's official! 2018 Accord drivetrains announced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many were speculating they would drop the award winning J-series in favor of a all 4 cylinder line up and....they did. A 1.5 turbo will now be the base engine with a Type R derived 2.0 as the top level option. Also, a 10 speed auto will be offered and they are keeping the 6 speed manual! Good on Honda for that!

This would be the 1.5 TGDI that's in the Civic and CRV? Fuel dilution coming to Accords. Honda is hanging their hat on that engine.

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
Personally I don't like the industry's trend towards turbocharged engines, especially in the case of the Accord.

I understand the movement, better efficiency while allowing to still have power on tap when needed. My main concern is long term reliability.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
This would be the 1.5 TGDI that's in the Civic and CRV? Fuel dilution coming to Accords. Honda is hanging their hat on that engine.

Is there evidence that this "issue" s wide spread on the 1.5T? I know there is one member on here (might be you) that talks about it quite frequently, and If I remember correctly there was a UOA showing the dilution but wear numbers were great.

Yes, issue is real. I am experiencing it as well as many others. Unfortunately 95% of Civic 1.5T don't even check their oil in between the oil changes (when MM tells to do so), that's why we don't hear about it much. Since this is a new engine who knows how long will it last with fuel dilution problem. I'm 1500mi after recent change with top tier synthetic and level seems to start rising again:(

Personally I don't like the industry's trend towards turbocharged engines, especially in the case of the Accord.

That was due to CAFE which was going to get tougher and tougher. Things might get rolled back under Trump but it takes years to design a car so it'd be a few years if things ever roll back. The old saying about no replacement for displacement is still true. I love a V6. Mercedes did the same thing with their E class, got rid of the V6 and just had a turbo 4 in 2017. You really had to step and pay a lot more if you wanted a V6 either the E43 or E63.

Let's see how this affects sales against the new Camry, which is keeping the V6
35.gif

Not what I wanted to hear. Was hoping to hang on to my daily driver for a few more years then pick up a new Accord with the 2.4L. Looks like I have a decision to make pretty soon.
smirk.gif

1.5L Turbo and a 10 speed automatic transmission?

There's another car I can check off on the list of one I will never own.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

No kidding. Their 5 speed auto was a disaster, can't imagine what the 10 speed will be like!
lol.gif
add a tiny turbo engine that fills the crankcase up with fuel and it sounds like a nightmare of a powertrain.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359

That was due to CAFE which was going to get tougher and tougher. Things might get rolled back under Trump but it takes years to design a car so it'd be a few years if things ever roll back. The old saying about no replacement for displacement is still true. I love a V6. Mercedes did the same thing with their E class, got rid of the V6 and just had a turbo 4 in 2017. You really had to step and pay a lot more if you wanted a V6 either the E43 or E63.
Let's not forget the cost of fuel in the rest of the world. Manufacturers will still have to make fuel efficient vehicles to satisfy other markets.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Originally Posted By: Nick1994

No kidding. Their 5 speed auto was a disaster, can't imagine what the 10 speed will be like!
lol.gif
add a tiny turbo engine that fills the crankcase up with fuel and it sounds like a nightmare of a powertrain.
Yeah, a turbo, another point of failure and potentially something else expensive to replace once the miles get high. Honda isn't exactly known for the best transmissions so 10 speeds will be interesting.

I do agree they should have replaced the K24, the one in my grandmother's CRV is painfully slow, the 2.4L in my Sonata isn't very fast but it's leaps and bounds faster than the K24.

Originally Posted By: 555
Let's not forget the cost of fuel in the rest of the world. Manufacturers will still have to make fuel efficient vehicles to satisfy other markets.

The price of fuel has been dropping for the last several years and summer gas prices are expected to be the lowest they've been since 2005. CAFE requirements were to move the fleet numbers up to as high as 60 mpg for small cars by 2025 or 46 mpg for large cars in 2025. In 2012 it was just 28 mpg, got to get rid of V6's if you're going to hit those targets.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporate_...ar.2C_2011-2025

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Originally Posted By: PimTac

Is there evidence that this "issue" s wide spread on the 1.5T? I know there is one member on here (might be you) that talks about it quite frequently, and If I remember correctly there was a UOA showing the dilution but wear numbers were great.

Nope it is not me. A few posters here have brought it up. I was considering a CRV but I don't need that kind of headache in my senior years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back