Rotella T-6 5w40 GL1800

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rotella T-6 5w40 3k OCI

Goldwing%203k%20Uoa-1_zpsitztb5m0.png
[/URL]

I did a VOA and it measured 13.73. The main objective was to se the vis and th TBN, to make sure I am comfortable with extended OCi in the future.

gold wing motors are the easiest on the oil there is.

i dont think i've ever seen a gl sample this early in its life but yes the copper should drop quickly.

imho, i would do another 3k oci. then maybe 1 more at 3k and then go to 5k for a few and then if you want to test again i bet you can go up to 7.5k or 10k
look at all the uoa's on gl's in here. they all go mega miles with perfect results.
it would be darn hard to find a motor of any type that has the decades upon decades of trouble free low wear use that a gl motor provides.

Originally Posted By: sunruh
gold wing motors are the easiest on the oil there is.

i dont think i've ever seen a gl sample this early in its life but yes the copper should drop quickly.

imho, i would do another 3k oci. then maybe 1 more at 3k and then go to 5k for a few and then if you want to test again i bet you can go up to 7.5k or 10k
look at all the uoa's on gl's in here. they all go mega miles with perfect results.
it would be darn hard to find a motor of any type that has the decades upon decades of trouble free low wear use that a gl motor provides.

Good to see you around! Haven't seen you post in a while.
smile.gif

Here's my Factory Fill analysis from 9 years ago. First oil change was called for at 4k. I wouldn't worry about your metals, mine have continually gone down, and I've been doing 10k intervals. I'm at about 56k now, bike runs as good as new, even better with some mods.

Equipment Make & Model- Honda Motorcycle GL1800cc

OIL TYPE & GRADE: Factory Fill
Miles on Oil- 4,016
Miles on Unit- 4,016

Yes this was indeed Honda's factory oil. This type of oil uses a lot of molybdenum and they use it in almost all
of their new engines, not just motorcycles. Molybdenum is typically an anti-wear additive, though it may have another
use in their factory oil. In any case, nothing unusual showed up here. Wear is high due to break-in of new parts, while
silicon is from sealers and both should improve nicely next time. Universal averages show normal wear after about
4,700 miles. TBN was strong at 3.6, so the oil has lots of active additive left. Try ~5K miles next oil.

ALUMINUM -16
CHROMIUM -1
IRON -45
COPPER -68
LEAD-4
TIN-0
MOLYBDENUM-385
NICKEL-1
MANGANESE-7
SILVER-0
TITANIUM-0
POTASSIUM-6