Youtube etc video downloader?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use clips for teaching, and have a collection I downloaded ages ago.

Some losses and some course changes mean I could do with acquiring some more, but the site I used to use (most recently Clip Converter) now insists on installing junk on my PC.

Any recommendations?

I'd prefer not to have to install anything but can if I must.

If you want to avoid downloading anything YouTube red is $10/mnth

Otherwise i know chrome has extensions you can download to download videos. Im on a phone so i cant go find it

Yes, firefox has add-on.

I used "Video DownloadHelper".
Unfortunately, you have to download the add-on and install it in firefox.
This is the easiest.

A fancy version will be Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate.
This will download and you can also convert the format and edit the video.
I have used the Mac version so not sure on the PC version.

It's command line, but the best program for this is probably Youtube-DL. Can download from Youtube, Facebook Video, Vimeo, Soundcloud, etc...

Originally Posted By: JMJNet

A fancy version will be Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate.
This will download and you can also convert the format and edit the video.
I have used the Mac version so not sure on the PC version.

This sounds like a ffmpeg front-end and I would be suspicious of adware.

Youtube's native format is (usually) .264 mp4 which computers can handle pretty well anyway.

Yes, firefox has add-on.

This is the easiest.

THANK YOU!

Thanks all.

I used Onlinevideoconverter.com/video-converter for my last class this year (just finished, hooray!)

It did the job but the quality was pretty bad (jumpy frames, pixillation) and in a couple of cases unusable.

I like the sound of that command line thing and will try to get it working on my laptop for next year if I'm back part-time.

(School-supplied XP desktop will probably be recycled by then. I don't think even this outfit would have the gall to give it to anyone else.)

Yes, firefox has add-on.

This is the easiest.

+1 for Video DownloadHelper. It works well with firefox.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Yes, firefox has add-on.

This is the easiest.

+2

I haven't found anything easier to install and use.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Yes, firefox has add-on.

This is the easiest.

Not on my Firefox!
Using both UBlock Origin and Flashstopper in Firefox 53, installing Video DownloadHelper yesterday saw my surfing speed become significantly slower.

Like most everyone here, there are times when we want to see a Video running and times when we don't. Those of us having a major newspaper as our desktop homepage especially do not like videos popping up and running constantly as we surf various pages / sections of their newspaper to read everyday.

So having the best of both worlds does come with restrictions. So I uninstalled Video DownloadHelper approx a half-hour after I installed it. Surfing speeds on my Firfox 53 then immediately returned to normal-fast.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
So I uninstalled Video DownloadHelper approx a half-hour after I installed it. Surfing speeds on my Firfox 53 then immediately returned to normal-fast.

You can enable the add-on when you need it and disable it when you don't.

I haven't downloaded from YouTube in a while, but when I wanted to do so, I just Google'd it. Used the first piece of software that had decent reviews.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en

Not on my Firefox!
Using both UBlock Origin and Flashstopper in Firefox 53, installing Video DownloadHelper yesterday saw my surfing speed become significantly slower.

That's kind of odd: VideoDownloadHelper shouldn't be buggering up your speeds at all. I wonder if it is getting stuck trying to identify the download-able media elements on a page while uBlock and FlashStopper are prohibiting them from being accessed?

If you're at all inclined toward giving VideoDownloadHelper a second kick at the can I'd try using it with the other two disabled. If you find that solves your problem I'd bet you could disable uBlock and FlashStopper only for the domains on which you'd wish to use VideoDownloadHelper, and disable VideoDownloadHelper otherwise. That's a few extra clicks and keystrokes, but since VideoDownloadHelper is unlikely to be the type of thing one would be using a lot it might work out OK.

Originally Posted By: Ducked
I use clips for teaching, and have a collection I downloaded ages ago.

Some losses and some course changes mean I could do with acquiring some more, but the site I used to use (most recently Clip Converter) now insists on installing junk on my PC.

Any recommendations?

I'd prefer not to have to install anything but can if I must.

I promise you this is the best YouTube video downloader out there (IMHO) I have used this app for a very long time and it is tried and true. Simple interface, easy settings, very straight forward. I swear by this app. Click the link below to be taken to the app's website and look at the screenshots, etc and give it a try! I can almost assure you that you will be satisfied with this app. I ended up buying the pro version I loved it so much. Worth every penny.

4K Video Downloader

They also have other apps for other specific uses. Based on how well the 4K Video Downloader works, I would also recommend the others if you have another specific need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back