What can I add to oil to help keep Volvo Turbo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
BEFORE YOU POST AN ANSWER I DON'T WANT TO HEAR: "No need to add anything oil is good" or "What are you trying to fix" or "additives are [censored]"

I choose to use an additive not because I want to fix an issue but because I want to prevent any future issues.

Now that being said, what additive could I add to my 2015 Volvo XC60 with a Turbo engine to help keep the engine happy and the turbo happy for the decades to come? I live in Phoenix so the temperature in the summer is on average 105F (that doesn't even include the sun beating down on the hood...and the car is black) hence I am asking this question (this is not a regular environment for a car to exist in).

i.e. would Ceratec help with reducing the cooldown required before turning off the car?

Thank you!

Last edited:
Run a quality syn oil and you will be doing the best you can do.Let it idle for a bit before shutdown.

What are you trying to fix? Unless you're having an issue, there's no need to "fix" anything; oil is good these days. Excellent, really.

Sigh. Ok

To whom do I send the bill once the Turbo bites the dust?

No I am not asking anyone to agree with me, I guess what I am asking then is why even have an additive forum when no one ever recommends an additive? Should we just eliminate this forum? What's the point?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tempnexus
Sigh. Ok

You honestly have nothing to worry about with a modern turbo if you use the spec'd oil and follow the OLM.

That said, I used BG MOA with the oil change in my '16 XC60.

Sigh. Ok

No I am not asking anyone to agree with me, I guess what I am asking then is why even have an additive forum when no one ever recommends an additive? Should we just eliminate this forum? What's the point?
Additives will not prolong the life of the turbo. Additives are usually a waste of money.

I have over 300,000 miles on Audi A4 with Turbo, only used full synthetic, Mobil 1 0W40, German Castrol 0W30 and Pennzoil Euro 5W40, uses no oil in 7500 to 10,000 mile intervals, no problem with Turbo. If you run it hard let it idle for minute before shutdown. No additives needed.
A6 TDI turbo with 60,000, low SAPS Castrol 0W30, no oil use in 10,000 mile intervals, no turbo problems.

Thanks! Yeah I do the changes at the Volvo dealer and they use CASTROL (hopefully synth) I just wanted to protect my "baby" better....especially in this hellhole called Phoenix in the summer.

Sigh. Ok

No additive will do what you ask. Stop dictating the answer.

If you want to learn how to keep your Volvo turbo alive, be prepared to listen.

I've got over 200,000 miles on the original turbos on TWO Volvos shown in my signature.

Are you prepared to listen?

Thanks! Yeah I do the changes at the Volvo dealer and they use CASTROL (hopefully synth) I just wanted to protect my "baby" better....especially in this hellhole called Phoenix in the summer.

If you want to protect your baby, do your own oil changes.

The mechanic changing your oil doesn't know it's your baby -- it's just work to them.

Why do you think your turbo is gonna bite the dust?

As everyone has said, there is no additive that will make an incorrect oil "good", and the correct oil specified by the manufacturer needs no additive. The proper oil will not be improved by an additive and there isn't one that makes it more better for the turbo.

It seems as though you like to discuss essentially the same thing multiple times.

This is my additive recommendation......

Marvel Mystery Oil was developed for use in WW2 air cooled fighter planes operating in very hot conditions (South Pacific)
MMO is a marvelous additive, the formula is a mystery, but it mixes well with any synthetic oil. What better than to use 70 year old additive technology in a modern turbo engine?

Mix 0.25 ounce of Marvel Mystery Oil to one quart of synthetic motor oil that meets your Volvo specifications, very important.

The small amount of MMO will not help or hurt your turbo engine, but it will pacify your desire to use a additive.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Sigh. Ok

No additive will do what you ask. Stop dictating the answer.

If you want to learn how to keep your Volvo turbo alive, be prepared to listen.

I've got over 200,000 miles on the original turbos on TWO Volvos shown in my signature.

Are you prepared to listen?

Listen to what? So far you haven't said anything constructive?

Originally Posted By: Ethan1

Why do you think your turbo is gonna bite the dust?

Overheating. It's not my car it's my wifes. She doesn't wait the recommended 90 seconds or what have you after a highway run before she turns the car off. SO I am worried that the turbo might bite the dust do to overheating and resultant oil deposits (from overheating).

My coworker had replaced his Porche's turbo twice over the past 3 years....that is my concern.

Last edited:
If you were looking to prolong your engine just a few more miles then sure, you can use an additive. Additives are not proactive solutions to a possible future problem. Use syn oil and change it per OLM or before, change it every 5k miles if you are that scared..its still better than using an additive that might actually reduce the efficiency of the oil.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
As everyone has said, there is no additive that will make an incorrect oil "good", and the correct oil specified by the manufacturer needs no additive. The proper oil will not be improved by an additive and there isn't one that makes it more better for the turbo.

It seems as though you like to discuss essentially the same thing multiple times.

What the manufacturer uses is based on who wins the lowest bid it doesn't mean that it's the best oil for the engine (unless you are naive enough to think otherwise). Sure any synthetic oil will protect the car for the extended warranty period of 75k miles ([censored] even dollar store conventional will do that) but I am not looking for the 75k miles protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back