How far would you drive for guaranteed job ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A person I know was looking for a job and I told them I knew a manager (not at my employer) that was looking to hire (full-time with good benefits) and I could pretty much guarantee them the job with a phone call to my former colleague and vouch for this person and their quality of work / skills.

The person hemmed and hawed about driving 45 miles and 1 hour to work everyday. Fast forward a few months and this person will soon be out of work due to job contract expiration (was a temp with zero benefits, doesn't work for my employer) and now doesn't have anything lined up.

Why not take the job 45 miles away and keeping looking for something closer to home in the mean time while you are collecting a paycheck ?

In this job market you have to take what you can find and quietly be looking. What would you do if someone tried to help you get a job ?

It seems when employed jobs are easy to get. When unemployed the effort almost seems futile.

I forgot to mention, job was 45 miles away but zero tolls, you can get to and from work through the back roads with little traffic.

Funny
When work start back for me within the month, i would have to drive almost one hour and a half in one direction. :_(
so thats like 3 hours a day in just driving. (im counting traffic too within the timer period)

Last edited:
I'm 30 miles from work. Almost everyday I stop by my grandparent's house and visit them, so my daily commute is a minimum of 67 miles a day.

15 more miles to work wouldn't bother me at all. I wish I could get to work in an hour!

If I were temping because it was what I could get and somebody offered to make a phone call on my behalf that would give me access to a real job with benefits with the only caveat being that I'd have to do a ninety miles a day commute on roads without a lot of traffic or tolls, I'd be very grateful and would leap at the opportunity.
Jobs may grow on trees but good ones don't.
Were I you, I'd feel a little bit miffed at this person and wouldn't be doing them any more favors.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I'm 30 miles from work. Almost everyday I stop by my grandparent's house and visit them, so my daily commute is a minimum of 67 miles a day.

15 more miles to work wouldn't bother me at all. I wish I could get to work in an hour!

Your grandparents are blessed to have you stop by and visit!

Hindsight is 20/20, but that was poor reasoning on your friends part.

I drive 120 miles round trip to work 5 days a week. 2.5 hours in the car each day. And you know what? My job is totally worth it.

I commuted 50 miles to work each way....for 17 years. And considering some of the time was on rotating 12 hour shifts, by the time I got home, I had 9-1/2 hrs until I had to be back on the road again.

I drive 55 miles each way to work, daily.. 110 miles round trip, and roughly 2 hours in the car, each day. The job is quite good, and while I didn't really relish the drive, I was already driving 37 miles each way, each day for my previous job, so I went with it.

In this case, the pay is good, the benefits are excellent, and the work culture is great, so it's worth it.

12hrs shifts with 2hrs commute (80miles round trip) in Houston traffic.
sick.gif

Last edited:
I dont know your friends circumstances, so wont comment. With that said I would rather not commute 1hr to work. It is the reality for most folks though, id guess its the average commute here but mainly caused by traffic. Id rather drive an hour on a highway then 1hr stuck in traffic, but it all depends. Jobless and competitive pay, yep I would.

Lots of people here work "down the hill" in los angelas. It often takes 3+ hrs just to get off the mountain! Last year during construction some commuters were spending 8+ hrs to drive 40 or so miles.

No thanks! I'll stick with my 12 minute drive to work for $3 hour less than the commuters make.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back