Mayberry

Status
Not open for further replies.
The reason Mayberry was so peaceful and quiet was because nobody was married. Andy, Aunt Bea, Barney, Floyd, Howard, Goober, Gomer, Sam, Earnest T Bass, Helen, Thelma Lou, Clara and, of course, Opie were all single. The only married person was Otis, and he stayed drunk.

grin2.gif

That is too funny!
I am a huge Mayberry fan, and I never thought about the fact that no one was married!
Seemed like they all had girlfriends, or was planning on getting married, but none were.
How about the hillbilly musical family that came into town every so often....the old man was not married, but he tried to get his daughter married to Andy and Barney.
Maybe Mayberry was a swinging singles town!

Originally Posted By: Kira
Woah! "{a guy}...tried to get his daughter married to Andy and Barney."

I'm shocked.

that was really wild for sleepy little Mayberry!

Originally Posted By: BalticBob
Originally Posted By: Kira
Woah! "{a guy}...tried to get his daughter married to Andy and Barney."

I'm shocked.

that was really wild for sleepy little Mayberry!

The even had gun control. Deputy Barney had a bullet he carried in his shirt pocket and if there was a need for armed intervention all he had to do was call Sheriff Andy and get permission to load his revolver.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
The even had gun control. Deputy Barney had a bullet he carried in his shirt pocket and if there was a need for armed intervention all he had to do was call Sheriff Andy and get permission to load his revolver.

Yes, that bullet in the pocket kept Barney from shooting anyone around him. Andy knew what he was doing.

Anyone have a trivia answer to what model revolver Barney carried?

i don't personally know the answer, but i know who to ask.
there's a local guy who does a pretty darn good Fife, has a replica mayberry patrol car, and makes the rounds of the local car show circuit in uniform.

Colt .38

Mayberry represented a high trust society, the kind of society you can get with a homogenous population that shared the same basic values. Japan is an example of a nation with a high trust society.

Originally Posted By: Bud

Colt .38

Barney carried two different guns at various times.

The better known one was a Colt Official Police in 38 Special.

He also was seen some with a Smith and Wesson M&P Model of 1905 also in 38 Special.

Both, IIRC, had a 5" tapered barrel

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
Mayberry represented a high trust society, the kind of society you can get with a homogenous population that shared the same basic values. Japan is an example of a nation with a high trust society.

Well said. That's the best explanation that I've heard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back