Frantz Fuel Filter install

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been pondering different fuel filters for my 2009 6.4 Powerstroke for quite some time now and decided to install one of my Frantz units. I bought an in-bed DeeZee 50 gallon tank with a gravity feed line to my Frantz, then to the filler neck hose. I drilled out the orifices in the Frantz and plumbed it all in. Filled the tanks and checked for leaks and all is good. Will test it out tomorrow and the next day on a 10 hour return trip. Here's some pictures:

Scrap steel backing plate:

Got back from my road trip and it worked really well but as you can imagine gravity alone can't push the fuel through the filter fast enough to keep up with engine consumption. Turns out to feed around half what the engine needs, so I'll be installing a transfer pump along with an electric shut-off valve to make the system full proof. More details to come:)

Very nice work A310
smile.gif
. Keep us posted kind sir

Originally Posted By: car51
Very nice work A310
smile.gif
. Keep us posted kind sir

Sure will, working great so far around town just with gravity feed. Once it warms up again I'll install the transfer pump and shut off valve.

Heating the filter might help too. Diesel gets fairly thick at low temps. Like a Zerostart 3400039. Its 12v 50W. Run it when the key is on. Keep the filter warm and it might be able to keep up.

I did some maintenance on my truck and decided to have a look at my Frantz fuel filter. I've put 6000 miles on it since the install and am very pleased indeed. I'm still gravity feeding the filter, but will be installing my transfer pump in the next month or so. All fuel is added to the aux tank and filtered through the Frantz to my main tank. Most of the debree in the fuel is probably caused by me having to heat the tank bung to get it out, burned a lot of the paint inside the tank near the bung. Here's some pictures and a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLdxNJJ1jM4

Well I finally got some time to finish this install with a Carter transfer pump and an electric shut-off valve. I connected the pump and shut-off valve in series and run off my upfitter switch in the cab. I did have to take the filter and mount off the truck to re-jig it to fit the additional pump and valve. Works really well, so very pleased indeed. Here's some pictures of the install.

Nice, clean set up. Prior to installing the Frantz, how often were you changing out the factory filter?

Originally Posted By: xtell
Nice, clean set up. Prior to installing the Frantz, how often were you changing out the factory filter?

Thanks, I changed them every 20000 miles. I could have gone longer as they were very clean, but I did not want to take a chance on them. Now that I have this system installed I'll change them every 30000 to start and see how they look.

P.S. Takes 1 hour 20 minutes to pump 20 gallons through the Frantz.:), that's just over 1 quart a minute adjusted for fuel consumption.

Originally Posted By: Rockrz
What happened to the pics?

They no be showin anymore...

Photobuckets decided to hijack everyone with a $400 dollar fee to allow 3rd party photo viewing. I'm not going to pay for that, so all my photo's are now gone. I'll most likely go with google drive or something similar from now on. Not sure what Photobuckets was thinking?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back