i want a range toy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mainly looking at handguns.

I have a Shield 9 as my carry. SR9C as my night stand/ winter carry and my SR22 as my plinker. I would easily get a AR platform but Chicago laws are annoying and i dont want to play loopholes with AR pistols blah blah.

Couple people have suggested i get a .357 mag revolver.... I'm not against it.

This toy will be mainly a safe queen, only taken to the range once in a while. I want to keep it under $500.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
How do you like your Shield? I see there on sale $215

http://palmettostatearmory.com/smith-wesson-m-p-shieldtm-9mm.html

I love my shield. I bought it the first day the promo happened. Just need to get a few more mags.

Originally Posted By: wkcars
i don't have one but a keltec sub2000 looks like fun

I cant find one anywhere in stock to just test and hold. But it is also illegal in chicago

Last edited:
Used CZ75 or increase your budget by $100 and buy a new one. Or a P01. I love mine.

And, congrats on your new cold weather carry gun.
grin2.gif

CZ-P09. It's available in 9mm and 40. The 40 should be one of the softer shooting in that caliber and you might like it enough for it to be your nightstand gun too.

What are you looking for in a range toy? Sounds like another handgun, right? (You didn't explicitly say so, but that's the feeling I get from your post)

I assume, since it's a range toy, that you want accuracy and a nice trigger and don't care as much about 100% reliability, and it would probably be a full-size handgun?

You might look at CZ75s, maybe a Beretta 92FS (a little above your price range) or a clone, maybe one of the cheaper 1911 platforms? You also mention a revolver, but I'm less familiar with those.

I'd look at either a full size pistol or a rifle.

I say full sized pistol since it would likely be the easiest and most fun to shoot, yet likely way too big to carry. Something like a Beretta 92 (maybe a used police trade-in), or a cheaper 1911 in 9mm. I like 9mm for you since your other pistols are mostly 9mm.

However, since you mentioned an AR/rifle of some sort, I'd suggest a Ruger 10/22. I'd suggest a Takedown model, so our neighbors in the city don't get unnecessarily spooked when you're loading the car. It shares ammo with your SR22, is inexpensive, is inexpensive to shoot, has plenty of aftermarket parts, gets you into "long range" shooting, can be shot at the pistol range, and is just a fun gun that everyone should own. I also like a rifle just so you have something different to shoot.

For 500 bucks you may be able to find a used S&W 686 or 66 with the "Hillary hole". I see lots of used Model 64's on the market around 399 bucks, if you want a classic 38 special.

Last edited:
I know 'fun' is relative, but I wanted something different and something fun for the range, so I took my Christmas money and bought a Ruger Blackhawk 5.5 inch in 45LC/ACP earlier this year. I've had a great time shooting mostly LC at the pistol and rifle range. I find I shoot slower and more deliberately with a single action six, and really enjoy shooting at 50 yards.

Save up for a while, a nice 9mm 1911 or a nice S@W revolver would be the best choice.

IMO the highest fun/cost quotient is a pistol caliber carbine. Lowest priced, bet your life on it reliability is a Hi-Point PCC. I have one in 40 S&W. Fun and magical. By magical, I mean that it chambers a 40 S&W round, and it flies like a 10mm at the muzzle. I have chronoed my hand-loads at 1282 fps; the book max is 1092 fps out of a 4" barrel. The 40 gets the most increase of the three calibers the carbine comes in.

Cheapest handgun to range-toy with right now, fires 9MM ammo.
No such thing as a range toy for me. I can only afford to visit a range once every four months, for only an hour.

$12 - range fee for one hour
$23 for a 50-pk of 45-cal ammo
$14 for a 50-pk of 9mm ammo
$17 for a 50-pk of .380 ammo
-----
$66

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 2cool
IMO the highest fun/cost quotient is a pistol caliber carbine. Lowest priced, bet your life on it reliability is a Hi-Point PCC. I have one in 40 S&W. Fun and magical. By magical, I mean that it chambers a 40 S&W round, and it flies like a 10mm at the muzzle. I have chronoed my hand-loads at 1282 fps; the book max is 1092 fps out of a 4" barrel. The 40 gets the most increase of the three calibers the carbine comes in.

I totally agree, cheap and fun to shoot! However, I think the Hi-Point carbines run into the same issue as the ARs, at least in Chicago. We can't have pistol grips on our long guns.

I'd consider a Rock Island 1911 Rock series in .45 ACP which can be had for <$500 . Cool platform (1911) which you will find a ton of after market grips , safeties , sights , hammers, etc. It's like legos for men !

Agreed. I want a lever action carbine in .38/357...I like the Rossi M92....can't buy one new anywhere. I'd settle for one in .45acp...none. Henrys are too much Dinero.

Originally Posted By: EdwardC

I totally agree, cheap and fun to shoot! However, I think the Hi-Point carbines run into the same issue as the ARs, at least in Chicago. We can't have pistol grips on our long guns.

The high point 955 was very high on my list but yea, some places see this as an assault rifle. Even tho its one of those things like speeding, many people do it, few get caught but when you get its HUGE.

I'm somewhat stuck with Shotguns and handguns. I dont have a very large safe at the time, just a small one (size of a nightstand). My budget could go up a little but i want to stay at the certain price.

-10/22 takedown, with a small scope.
-.357 mag (EAA Windicator, Sp101 or model 60) save up maybe for a 586/686
-budget 12g shotgun (mossberg 500/ rem 870)

This is what is sparking my interest right now, in that order.

Originally Posted By: FloatingBrick
I know 'fun' is relative, but I wanted something different and something fun for the range, so I took my Christmas money and bought a Ruger Blackhawk 5.5 inch in 45LC/ACP earlier this year. I've had a great time shooting mostly LC at the pistol and rifle range. I find I shoot slower and more deliberately with a single action six, and really enjoy shooting at 50 yards.

single action revolvers are great range, practice and woods guns. how about a ruger blackhawk 357/38/9mm or a single six 22lr/wmr?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back