Any Members Running Monograde At The Moment?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just curious if any members have monograde oil in the sump right now, and if you do, what it's in? I'm still running SJ Kendall GT-1 30wt in the Roadmaster.

SAE-40 CPC CD/SJ in a Yamaha RZR gearbox (2-stroke, so not shared sump), and about half SAE-40 (not sure if that counts) along with Mobil Delvac MX 15W/40 in a Daihtsu Skywing engine.

Last edited:
Yuck. No way. Even my '15 Hustler Raptor FR691V (that Kawi practically demands you use SAE-40 in) receives more respect than that. From the owner's manual: "NOTE: Using multi grade oils will increase oil consumption." WILL, not may. And a phone call to them confirmed they know nothing. Among many other false "facts", two stood out. The manual states SL or older only. They cringed when I mentioned SM or SN. And I thought they were going to reach through the phone when I mentioned synthetic. NO was a massive understatement.

Kawasaki... Great engine. Poor oil knowledge.

I bet they'd have a stroke if I told them I've never leaked or burned a drop and I've been using VSP SN 5W-30 ever since draining the factory fill @ 8 hours.

I swear it runs better than the day I bought it.

Synthetic multi-grade ftw.

50.gif
only in my Briggs and Stratton engine, 20 yr old engine....

Originally Posted By: Red91
I'm just curious if any members have monograde oil in the sump right now, and if you do, what it's in? I'm still running SJ Kendall GT-1 30wt in the Roadmaster.

Absolutely. I have Pennzoil SAE30 currently in my 2004 Lexus ES330 and Valvoline SAE30 in my 4Runner. Both will be running a 5,000 mile OCI on it.

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
50.gif
only in my Briggs and Stratton engine, 20 yr old engine....

Exactly. and only if I lived in Florida or the tropics would I use Monograde.

Sort of. I have about 2.5 quarts of 30w in my chevy 2500 work truck. There was way too much of it sitting around from being used in the ope engines. They tend to use the half quart to change the oil, sit the bottle aside, and then buy a new bottle on the next change. So it went into my truck to get it used up. I'm not sure how hard that v8 is on oil, but I wouldn't think twice to run straight 30 in it, it does 60-80 miles a day in trips rarely more than 3-4 miles before idling for 15/20, and then being driven off again.

Using the last of the famous AZ closeout Delo 400 SAE 30 in the IDI 7.3 in my sig, I think I have 2 gallons left (of about 35 I scored for 99 cents/gallon years ago). It's getting Delo 15W30 SD next.

BrocLuno and Richard S: just curious as to what brands, and if they are diesel 30's or PCMO 30's?

Car51: how are you liking it?

Gas. Most of it was ST HD 30. It's SG as I remember, so it got mixed in with a synthetic Dexos oil to balance out not meeting the oil spec a little. It's also an 11 year old work truck in it's last year of service, so I'm not too bothered about the incorrect API spec.

Mobil 1330 in 2 hot cammed SBC's, 2013 Matrix, the lawnmower and a 2013 1500 GMC 5.3L. I usually run Duron SAE 40 in my 2011 Duramax in the summer.
I'll post when they all blow up or squeak to a stop.

If I had and engine spec'ed for xw-30 I would, but currently no, I do not.
I just bought 8 qts of VWB and PYB 30 wt for $4 on clearance, I may use it in my mom's Saturn. Temps barely get to freezing around here, so a straight weight is fine. Wish they had a 20 wt oil readily available for cheap.

Not necessarily readily available, but I believe you can order Valvoline 20W-20 through Napa. Its a detergent oil, whereas the Kendall I've seen for sale is a non detergent.

Originally Posted By: blupupher
If I had and engine spec'ed for xw-30 I would, but currently no, I do not.

Your 2002 Ford F150 5.4 with 188,000 would run on 30w and not complain a bit.

Not necessarily readily available, but I believe you can order Valvoline 20W-20 through Napa. Its a detergent oil, whereas the Kendall I've seen for sale is a non detergent.

With a 2.9(ish) HTHS it would replace an ILSAC oil nicely, and shear free...

Here's G-Man's test on his chrysler (a bit dated, but good).

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/1174209/Valvoline_20w20,_3500_miles,_C

Take that "stratospheric VI = protection" team...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back