Oil Recommendation - 2014 Civic SI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys I was wondering if you could give me some oil recommendations for my 2014 civic si? I just recently purchased it with only 18,000 miles on the clock and I want to take good care of it.

I am looking at 0w20 synthetics and as far as driving conditions are concerned I live in the south(SC,Columbia),GA,Atlanta). I definitely like to drive the car in a spirited fashion and I also want to take the car to a couple track days.

I am looking at changing every 3750 miles honda severe recommended service interval based on my driving conditions) but am also open to what others have to say

Any and all suggestions are appreciated

In a warmer Southern climate with a heavy foot and some track use, a full syn 5w20 certainly shouldn't hurt it. If you don't run any track days during a given OCI I'm thinking 3,750 is overkill on a high quality full syn. I've had very good luck @ 5K OCI in my Cruze turbo with Valvoline Synpower, but am nearing the end of my second change of M1 (going back to Synpower afterward) and have run two consecutive changes of Schaeffer's 9000 in the past, too.

20 weight fully synthetic should work, but 3750 mile oci is way too early.

I'd use M1 EP 5w20 and follow OLM for daily driving, and some Euro formula (a3/b4) for trackdays. I think 20 weight is a little bit thin for spirited driving, especially for k series, although the rev limiter is lower than k20z2, it is still a high compression motor.

Originally Posted By: bitman22
Hey guys I was wondering if you could give me some oil recommendations for my 2014 civic si? I just recently purchased it with only 18,000 miles on the clock and I want to take good care of it.

I am looking at 0w20 synthetics and as far as driving conditions are concerned I live in the south(SC,Columbia),GA,Atlanta). I definitely like to drive the car in a spirited fashion and I also want to take the car to a couple track days.

I am looking at changing every 3750 miles honda severe recommended service interval based on my driving conditions) but am also open to what others have to say

Any and all suggestions are appreciated

Ok, if you intend to rag on it, full syn 5w-20. That's to maintain warranty. If it was my car I'd run a 10w30 syn in summer and if you're really afraid of 10w-30 in a southern winter, 5w-30 in the winter. 10w is good to 0F but many prefer the 5. I like smaller spreads because you get a more shear stable oil with less VII and a lower noack.

Some good syn:

Mobil 1
Valvoline SynPower
Penzoil Platinum or Ultra Platinum- someone correct me if I've got that mixed up

For your track days, the 10w-30 is going to hold up better but if you are sticking to a 4K oci either will be fine.

Fram Ultra is a highly regarded filter here and available at most Walmarts for less than $10

Since you've got track days, and you drive hard on the streets, then your oil temperature will naturally peak higher at times than normal use.
Therefore, any full synthetic 5w30 at walmart you see will provide the extra HTHS to protect your engine better.

I had one in 1988 back then it was Castrol GTX 20w50 summer and 10w40 winter! I put over 200,000 hard miles on that Civic SI. If it were mine and I was driving it hard I would run 5w30 Valvoline Synpower or any equivalent 5w30 synthetic. Then do a UOA at 5,000 miles and see what ya got.

Actually someone above mentioned 10w30 synthetic if driving hard and that's a real good idea.

Whatever the manual recommends while in warranty. Do a UOA after your first change at 3750 miles to see how it held up.

0w20 will hold up fine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Whatever the manual recommends while in warranty. Do a UOA after your first change at 3750 miles to see how it held up.

0w20 will hold up fine.

^^^^^
This!
Protect your warranty!
Also, there are components within your engine that run off the oil.
You could have issues with too thick of an oil.
Anyway, do what the manual says for oil weight and send in a uoa after 3,750 miles.
It's $25
21.gif

If it looks really good, extend it out to 5,000 miles.
Don't go longer than recommend OCI.

Thanks for all of the suggestions so far! as far as track use goes I am probably looking at a few times per year and due to the fact that I will be new to the track(have not been to a track day just yet) I'm not too sure If my car is going to be pushed that hard.

Quick question for the guys suggesting different weights (I'm new to this kinda thing) is there a difference between the honda recommended 0w20 vs a 5w/10w30? Im looking to try and keep the warranty in tact as this is my daily driver. (For driving habits i definitely like to drive it here and there but I'm not constantly romping on the thing)

Originally Posted By: bitman22
Thanks for all of the suggestions so far! as far as track use goes I am probably looking at a few times per year and due to the fact that I will be new to the track(have not been to a track day just yet) I'm not too sure If my car is going to be pushed that hard.

Quick question for the guys suggesting different weights (I'm new to this kinda thing) is there a difference between the honda recommended 0w20 vs a 5w/10w30? Im looking to try and keep the warranty in tact as this is my daily driver. (For driving habits i definitely like to drive it here and there but I'm not constantly romping on the thing)
People are thinking this is a performance machine that's going to be redlined all day long.

It sounds like it's going to be driven as designed, 0w20 will be more than adequate.

0W-20 is all the K24 needs even if you are tracking it or daily driving it hard. If you aren't changing cams/valvesprings, stick with the 0W-20 changed at the Maintenance Minder intervals. The engine will outlast the rest of the car.

bitman22, The key important number to remember for engine protection is HTHS. 0w20 and 5w20 oils are about 2.7. 0w30, 5w30, 10w30 are typically about 3.0, so about a 10% or so thicker oil film, an extra margin of protection really only needed if you're running the engine hard.
You already void the warranty if you run on the track, so thats out.

Bottom line: You could run a 5w20 Mobil1 Extended Performance, easy to get and kinda cheap, and you'd probably do fine. Racing in any form means I would get just a small amount of extra bearing protection, which any full synthetic xw30 will give you. Its not that much thicker, only 10% thicker, so your engine runs it as most of the planet runs Honda engines: with thicker xw30 or even xw40 oil. No problems from running slightly thicker oil.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
bitman22, The key important number to remember for engine protection is HTHS. 0w20 and 5w20 oils are about 2.7. 0w30, 5w30, 10w30 are typically about 3.0, so about a 10% or so thicker oil film, an extra margin of protection really only needed if you're running the engine hard.
You already void the warranty if you run on the track, so thats out.

Bottom line: You could run a 5w20 Mobil1 Extended Performance, easy to get and kinda cheap, and you'd probably do fine. Racing in any form means I would get just a small amount of extra bearing protection, which any full synthetic xw30 will give you. Its not that much thicker, only 10% thicker, so your engine runs it as most of the planet runs Honda engines: with thicker xw30 or even xw40 oil. No problems from running slightly thicker oil.

Honda is already working on durability testing of 0W-16 low HTHS oils. Most all of their motors are super easy at the bearings, (speaking for their NA applications). The K24 doesn't have the valvespring pressure or bearing loads to warrant a high HTHS oil. Can you do it? Absolutely. You could run 40W and be fine. I ran M1 0W-40 in my K20 Hondata modified. But I didn't do it for the bearings. I did it because it drank 5W-30 like water. There are literally 10s of millions of miles vetted on the K24 platform on a 20W oil. It doesn't need anything higher than 2.6 HTHS. So why risk your warranty running a thicker oil? After the warranty, knock yourself out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back