Briggs Intek 24hp filter cross-ref

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone, I'm about to change the oil on a neighbour's riding mower with a 24hp briggs v-twin intek engine.

I'm assuming the filter is a 3/4-16 thread, and I do have plenty of those in my stash.

I might throw on a spare MC FL-300 I have laying around or a wix 51307.

Do either of those cross to a briggs filter?

Same threads and mounting base size is all the reference I use for OPE filters. I use FL400/PH3600's if there's room. I most recently bought a box of 6 Champ PH2835's for cheap of eBay for the 18.5 Briggs in my mower.

Last edited:
Don't be obsessed about filter size - - these engines do NOT have high volume oil pumps. A large filter would last 500 hours due to low oil flow.

Even the tiny filters are overkill. Any PH3614 size filter is usually pretty cheap and easy to find, too.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Don't be obsessed about filter size - - these engines do NOT have high volume oil pumps. A large filter would last 500 hours due to low oil flow.

Yeah, but a plus size filter is an easy way to increase oil capacity a few oz.

I made a list years ago using Purolator numbers:

Stock size (X-Small) - L35310

Small - L10241

Medium - L20195

Large - L30001

X-Large - L40017

I typically run the L10241 (uses 2 quarts right on the nose), but I have a left over L30001 from a Caravan that I may try. The L40017 would definitely have the neighbors talking.

Originally Posted By: Rock_Hudstone

Yeah, but a plus size filter is an easy way to increase oil capacity a few oz.

It will also slow the time until oil pressure rises.

Originally Posted By: HangFire

It will also slow the time until oil pressure rises.

But only on the first start after changing the oil right?

I mean with a properly functioning ADBV, filter size shouldn't make much of a difference - a filter full of oil is a filter full of oil, right?

Originally Posted By: Canadastang

I mean with a properly functioning ADBV, filter size shouldn't make much of a difference - a filter full of oil is a filter full of oil, right?

If the oil filter case were clear, you would see it isn't ever running "full".

Originally Posted By: Canadastang

If the oil filter case were clear, you would see it isn't ever running "full".

Are you saying there is always an air bubble inside the filter? I doubt that ... as flow through the filter will purge all air out and it will be 100% full.

Over-sizing an oil filter for this engine isn't going to be what saves it or kills it.

The greatest risk to the Briggs/Stratton Intek is, well, that it's an Intek; known for mediocre quality and suspect longevity. One oversized oil filter would probably last longer than the valve guides and seats ...

Last edited:
What's wrong with the Fram PH8170?

Not sure I see the need for an "oversize" filter on OPE... The PH8170 is bigger than some filters you see on new cars!

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Are you saying there is always an air bubble inside the filter? I doubt that ... as flow through the filter will purge all air out and it will be 100% full.

No - smaller engines (especially Briggs, Kohler and Harley engines) don't have much flow, and never fill the filter completely (when horizontal).

It's very easy to see with thermal imaging.

Oil takes the path of least resistance - and when you only have 1 GPM flow,
there isn't enough restriction to completely fill the filter.

Oil is flowing out LONG before the filters fills completely.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Over-sizing an oil filter for this engine is NOT going to be what saves it or kills it.

The greatest risk to the Briggs/Stratton Intek is, well, that it's an Intek; known for mediocre quality and suspect longevity. One oversized oil filter would probably last longer than the valve guides and seats ...

This is 100% absolutely correct. Many small air cooled engines have enough filter capacity to pretty much last the life of the engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back