What do you always have in your car or truck?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dog hair!
smirk.gif

Roll of paper towels to check fluid levels, 1/2 quart of top off oil, 1/2 quart trans fluid, socket with 14mm (for oil drain plug) air compressor, tire patch kit. Cell phone charger. I think a fire extinguisher is a good addition. I have never seen a car on fire up north but when down south I have seen my share of fires in cars on side of roads. Wonder if its simply the higher heat that causes these issues?..

and spare wiper blades! When one goes kaput suddenly it ruins your drive, having plastic or metal potentially scratching the glass.

I forgot to mention I always have my sunglasses and a cleaning cloth. I also keep a tire pressure gauge in the glove box. I have my sunshade for the windshield and my sister made me a little knitted bootie for my metal shift knob. I don't usually need it since the sunshade keeps it from getting that hot. I also always have a small paper towel since I am a serial vaper and those things leak in the car. My phone provides the music via bluetooth, although i have been listening to AM talk radio lately.
At this moment in time, the car is new so I don't carry any fluids as they don't disappear at alarming rates. I get my oil from the dealer, so I do keep extra at home that I keep an eye on since I believe my car to be consuming a 1/4 quart in 1k miles. I also have a dash duster and one of those wands to clean the windshield from invisible glass. the Vape fogs my windows in the winter time pretty quick.

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
Iwas going to add that I wouldn't let consumption get that highwithout taking action, as I'd go broke... but didn't want to step on any toes.

That's when oil was under $1 a quart here, at least fairly readily, so it wasn't terrible. Synthetic was much, much, more, almost what it is now. Even after getting worked on, it started burning oil before long again. That engine just disliked me.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: SR5
In a plastic box in the back: Fire extinguisher, first aid kit, leatherman style multi-tool, a few Cyalume / glow sticks, with an old blanket on top to keep it all in place and not bouncing about. Plus the jack and the spare which I check regularly.

And a football !! So I can have kick with my son when we stop at a park or field.

In my Phaeton: Laptop, diag cable, notebook, pen, and interior wipe cloth in the glovebox. First aid kit, roadside kit, warning triangle, 1 quart of oil, and two rags in the trunk.

In my Volvo: First aid kit and warning triangle in the hatch.

Extra eyeglass and sunglass. Gout medicine in case of attack. Hat, hoody and some quarters for the meters. That is about it.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
socket with 14mm (for oil drain plug)

Can't think of a scenario for that, unless you have the rocker cover off and a cloudburst puts a lot of water in your sump.

That has happened to me, but not on a journey.

Roll of paper towels to check fluid levels, 1/2 quart of top off oil, 1/2 quart trans fluid, socket with 14mm (for oil drain plug) air compressor, tire patch kit. Cell phone charger. I think a fire extinguisher is a good addition. I have never seen a car on fire up north but when down south I have seen my share of fires in cars on side of roads. Wonder if its simply the higher heat that causes these issues?..

Well, I never ever get burned working on cars in winter, but during summer it's like I can't touch anything without risk of burns.

I have a backpack containing the following:
-mini fire extinguisher
-gloves
-ratchet straps/bungee cords
-small tool kit with sockets/screwdrivers/wrenches
-pliers/vice grips
-zip-ties
-duct tape
-folding knife
-large LED Maglight (could also function as a weapon)
-tow strap
-extra sweatshirt and socks
-spare headlight and fog light bulb
-jumper cables
-snow scraper/brush

Also have a first aid kit w/migraine medication, a 12v air compressor, and a spare serpentine belt.

I don't usually carry fluids with me, I just check the levels weekly. I did bring some fluids once when I knew I'd be driving 3+ hours away to a fairly rural area for a few days.

Last edited:
I have never seen a car on fire up north but when down south I have seen my share of fires in cars on side of roads. Wonder if its simply the higher heat that causes these issues?..

It happens here. It's usually arson, though.
whistle.gif

at minimum small first aid kit, multitool, lockback pocket knife, water, cell phone charger, pry bar, coffee cup, hard candy. on long distance drives bring a bug out backpack with extra clothes and raingear matched to season, basic minimal overnight emergency camping gear, mre food, sturdy walking shoes, fire, metal g.i. canteen with metal cup, hatchet, shovel. in homage to my impoverished youth have duct tape and wire coat hangars (makes a fine tailpipe holder). pretty much always a firearm secured in the trunk, lots of choices here, but always matched to political vagaries of my route. nothing tactical, complex or expensive: on long drives at least a legally short single shot 20 or 410 shotgun and a 22lr/wmr single action revolver. always a small ccw on me as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back