first oil change????

Status
Not open for further replies.
smile.gif

good morning! i am just about to get a new car. infiniti Q 50. i THINK it is a twin turbo 24 valve 6 cylinder. engine. i think infiniti will tell me to change the oil around 10,000 miles, etc.

OK, i know i am pretty old and old school.

dumb question:

should i do the first oil change early? like, 500 miles? 1000 miles? 2000 miles?

i do under stand that engines are WAY better than years before and will have less metal shavings, etc. but this is a pretty complex twin turbo and i want it to last a long long time.

should i use premium gas?

i welcome any and all advice!

thanks!

bob

If it were me, I'd do it early, and Nissan/Infiniti doesn't use anything special in their factory fill, or warn about leaving things alone. But, that's just me. I suspect it requires premium, so I'd be using that, too. Even my G37 requires premium.

Be prepared to weather a storm here. I'd change it early. Working in a machine shop in my younger days, talking with engine builders and machinists, and people who know a lot more than I do reinforces my reasoning. Oh and lets not forget the UOA's we see from time to time on a new engine. I want that [censored] out. Do some homework and reading here, and do what you think is best. There's some good discussion for and against, and plenty of talk of engines that have gone very long distances either way.

Even with the very common GM 2.4L Ecotec motor in my Slingshot, Polaris called for the first change at 500 miles. I'm old school also and changed out my 13 Accord early as well when it was new. Honda said run it 7000.

On every new engine I get the first oil change is @ 500, the second @ 1,500, then the third is @ 3,000 miles, then every 3,000 after that.

I'm sure people will post the exact opposite, what a waste of money, etc.

It just boils down to what makes you happy. Doing the above makes me happy.

Also when you go to trade it in, I've never heard someone complain that there were too many oil changes done. In fact, literally every vehicle I've traded in has never made it to the lot as someone in the service dept scoops it up for themselves as they know it's been owned by me and maintained on an OCD maintainance schedule lol.

I know very little about cars buy believe in changing early, 1000 miles or so, just in case there's anything that may have been leftover in the engine. 1 or 2 extra oil changes during the life of the vehicle shouldn't break the bank.

Robertslowpoke, all new Q50's call for premium gas. Don't like it, look at something else.

Personally, I think an early initial oil & filter change can help*.
Whom it helps is rare, maybe very rare. Possibly the individual that actually drives a vehicle until the engine needs a rebuild.
But than again what your looking at has TWO turbos. If you saw a UOA on your factory fill at 5K, it wouldn't look pretty.
Why would you wanna go another 5k on it than? word/

I'm old school also and change out the factory fill at 1000 miles. 10k is a long interval for oil, especially with that turbo motor. I would start with every 5k.

If the manual says premium fuel then that's what you should fill up with. Figure your extra cost per year by the number of miles you expect to put on this vehicle for the year.

Yes change it out early. Break in metals are a fact of life. The oil filter will not catch all the tiny metallic bits so they'll be in there floating around like sand paper, "polishing" other engine internals. I feel like after a good 1,000 miles this is more then done and getting that metallic soup out of there is in order. Why anyone would argue against this, esp on an oil forum is beyond me.

Sure some might say that the engine will be "fine", etc but that still doesn't change the fact that you have abrasive oil flowing thru your brand new engine for no good reason except to try to use up a gallon of oil in order not to waste it ($20-30 dollars worth)
crackmeup2.gif

I change the oil in any new car at 1,000 to 1,500 miles. Then every 5K miles or 6 months. All vehicles get premium fuel as well.

RTOM, and find out what your dealer wants to keep the warranty intact.

My opinion may not be popular, but I think initial change at 500, then another at 2k, then depending on UOA at 2k, calculate out a safe OCI. I like diesel oils in turbo apps, but with CK-4 oils looking (ridiculously) like their SN counterparts, that may no longer be a benefit. Start with the owners manual for type and grade recommendations and go from there.

Originally Posted By: SilverSnake
I change the oil in any new car at 1,000 to 1,500 miles. Then every 5K miles or 6 months. All vehicles get premium fuel as well.

A little off topic but...

ALL vehicles? Even the ones that don't spec or require it to run normally as designed?!?!
33.gif

You will not make a mistake following the Manufactures recommendation. In any case, I would not do a first change at less then 1/2 the manufactures recommended change. I matured and got over my self-appointed-expert opinion that, I know better than the engineers who designed my vehicle. Yes I am in a crabby mood this morning. :)) Ed

Originally Posted By: Artem

ALL vehicles? Even the ones that don't spec or require it to run normally as designed?!?!
33.gif

How is it off topic. The OP asked about the his first oil change and whether or not he should use premium fuel? I told him what I do, duh. So you think it is stupid to run a higher octane fuel than required? Well I think it is stupid not to. Today's ethanol fuels degrade very quickly compared to fuels in the past. I do not drive any of my vehicles very much so the fuel sits in the tank often for long periods. Starting with a higher octane fuel keeps it within spec longer. duh.

Yes change it out early. Break in metals are a fact of life. The oil filter will not catch all the tiny metallic bits so they'll be in there floating around like sand paper, "polishing" other engine internals. I feel like after a good 1,000 miles this is more then done and getting that metallic soup out of there is in order. Why anyone would argue against this, esp on an oil forum is beyond me.

Sure some might say that the engine will be "fine", etc but that still doesn't change the fact that you have abrasive oil flowing thru your brand new engine for no good reason except to try to use up a gallon of oil in order not to waste it ($20-30 dollars worth)
crackmeup2.gif

this is the best post that I've seen on this never ending topic.

the "wasting money" argument is laughable, after one spends 20,30,40,50 k. on a new car -- this is where you pick to save the vast sum of $20-30? laughable and illogical.

then there's the camp that states to go by the manual -- 5, 7, maybe 10k.miles, since the filter will pick up the metallic slurry from the factory.this would make sense, IF any filter is 100% efficient -- but that does not exist.ergo, the only way to get out the garbage is change out the oil.period.whether or not you choose to get the garbage out at 500/1,000 or 7-10,000 mi. is the issue. let it go long to save ~ 25-30 bucks? -- doesn't make sense, to me.

there's no right or wrong here. whatever makes you sleep well.
i don't understand why so many here agonize over such a petty decision.but, that's what makes bitog so entertaining.

33.gif

How is it off topic. The OP asked about the his first oil change and whether or not he should use premium fuel? I told him what I do, duh. So you think it is stupid to run a higher octane fuel than required? Well I think it is stupid not to. Today's ethanol fuels degrade very quickly compared to fuels in the past. I do not drive any of my vehicles very much so the fuel sits in the tank often for long periods. Starting with a higher octane fuel keeps it within spec longer. duh.

Some manuals say performance will be worse with higher octane...that's what the manual for my Liberty says. 87 octane.

OP: Follow the manual and you will be just fine!

thanks! i did in fact check the link that "nothing new" gave to the owners manual. i did NOT receive the car yet, did not see the owners manual. the one on line says oil every 10,000 miles. i am just now reading about the engine. sounds like twin turbo, water cooled intercooler, direct fuel injection. quite a sophisticated machine! i CANNOT believe it would be good to keep oil in for ten thousand miles with a new twin turbo. i am still reading, but i think turbos, which i have never owned, turn at ??200,000 rpm? wow. we have ultra centrifuges that spin a 40,000 and let me tell you, that is plenty.

i absolutely agree with "yeti" who says risk a $40,000 car to save $40 of oil? right! seems to me, whether i keep this car long term or trade in at 3 years, changing the oil at 1000 miles, and maybe every 4 or 5 thousand after that, is a GREAT idea.

as far as gas, i will follow the owners manual, whatever it says. they have designed the computer and the motor to work with a certain gas, and i will use it. i like shell v power gas.

keep the ideas coming! and THANKS Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back