Cooper CS5 Ultra Touring Wear

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know we have a lot folks here familiar with Cooper's CS5 tires. I've had a set of 215/60R16 95H Ultras for about 14k miles now (on 2009 Hyundai Sonata). Nothing extreme: no towing, high loads, offroading, etc. I'm doing about 1k miles/month in a mix of highway and city driving. Rotated them twice so far. The second time was today actually.

Noticing that depth is a little bit lower on the inside of the tire than outside. Pretty consistent throughout the whole set. I'm at 7.5/32-8/32 inside vs 8/32-8.5/32 toward the outside. Given the asymmetrical tread design... is this normal for this tire?

I would say it's normal for a Hyundai.
I have a 2008 Elantra and it wears it's tires on the inside edge regardless of how many times I have it aligned...25K and the tires are shot regardless of rotations or treadwear rating...it's seems to affect the entire Hyundai line...google it.

Can you cross rotate them? The rear tires will go to the front but crossed over to the opposite side. Then the fronts come straight back.

My nephew has about 40k on his Ultra CS5s on a 2006 Elantra. I am thinking he will get about a good 45k on them at their current rate.

The front does eat tires on that car so they have to be rotated regularly and they seem to wear better with about 2psi extra.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Can you cross rotate them? The rear tires will go to the front but crossed over to the opposite side. Then the fronts come straight back.

You mean move them by taking tires off wheels? Probably not -- they are marked inside/outside on each side. So I've been rotating front to back.

Originally Posted By: pbm
I would say it's normal for a Hyundai.
I have a 2008 Elantra and it wears it's tires on the inside edge regardless of how many times I have it aligned...25K and the tires are shot regardless of rotations or treadwear rating...it's seems to affect the entire Hyundai line...google it.

I purchased the car with brand new Kelly Explorer Plus tires. The dealer probably replaced OE tires then (approx. 30K miles on odo). Those tires wore pretty well and I got over 50K miles out of them. I didn't pay much attention to tire wear then... they might have had uneven wear too.

Originally Posted By: Jimzz
My nephew has about 40k on his Ultra CS5s on a 2006 Elantra. I am thinking he will get about a good 45k on them at their current rate.

The front does eat tires on that car so they have to be rotated regularly and they seem to wear better with about 2psi extra.

That's what I'm thinking I'll get out of these. Way worse than tread wear warranty.

My last set wore evenly until I got rid of them with about 30k and 4/32 left. Im very hard on tires.
The wear difference inside/outside is something with your cars alignment.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
My last set wore evenly until I got rid of them with about 30k and 4/32 left. Im very hard on tires.
The wear difference inside/outside is something with your cars alignment.

Depending on how hard your hard is, 30k miles may be pretty good! I had the vehicle aligned 14k miles ago shortly after new tires were mounted. It could be that car got out of alignment at some point or the alignment to begin with was not done right but the car is not pulling to either side and the alignment shop was recommended to me.

Originally Posted By: anl0109

You mean move them by taking tires off wheels? Probably not -- they are marked inside/outside on each side. So I've been rotating front to back.

The outside will stay the outside regardless of what side they are put on.
They can be rotated any way you want.

Originally Posted By: Jimzz

Back to the point about tire pressure. Tires are at 34-36 psi right now. Spec is 32. Might have been lower in the winter (no low pressure light though). I'll see if this above spec pressure helps as summer goes on.

Originally Posted By: Reggaemon

The outside will stay the outside regardless of what side they are put on.
They can be rotated any way you want.

OK, right. Could swapping sides help in this situation, with all of the tires wearing a little bit more on the inside than outside?

Just to provide an update. The toe was off a bit (and got fixed) but overall the vehicle was in alignment. Suspension parts checked out ok. The mechanic didn't really think the wear was all that uneven.

One thing that is worth noting is that Cooper's Web site is not very accurate. I thought that my tread depth went from 11/32 to 8/32 in 15K miles. I had a chance to inspect and measure tread depth on a new set of Ultras of a different size. It was supposed to be 11/32 of an inch. It was 10/32 actually (and a bit below 10/32 towards sidewalls). The wear rating was also incorrect: 640 listed online but 580 on the tire. And I specifically checked this exact size and speed rating on Cooper's site. So going down to about 8/32 from 10/32 in 15K miles is not so bad. Still, not sure how I'll manage to get 70K miles out of these tires.

Just to provide an update. The toe was off a bit (and got fixed) but overall the vehicle was in alignment. Suspension parts checked out ok. The mechanic didn't really think the wear was all that uneven.

One thing that is worth noting is that Cooper's Web site is not very accurate. I thought that my tread depth went from 11/32 to 8/32 in 15K miles. I had a chance to inspect and measure tread depth on a new set of Ultras of a different size. It was supposed to be 11/32 of an inch. It was 10/32 actually (and a bit below 10/32 towards sidewalls). The wear rating was also incorrect: 640 listed online but 580 on the tire. And I specifically checked this exact size and speed rating on Cooper's site. So going down to about 8/32 from 10/32 in 15K miles is not so bad. Still, not sure how I'll manage to get 70K miles out of these tires.

This is a tire I considered before I wound up getting my Hankook's. I read the reviews pretty closely on this tire because I liked the tread pattern. Most of the reviews I read one thing was apparent very few people were getting near the wear out of them the tire was rated for.

I have a V rated 195/55R15 set and I'm 40k miles in. Roughly 45k-50k max life expectancy.

The rear tires are at 4/32nds. Not sure how much mileage is left but I'm about to replace a 2nd original due to road hazard warranty. The one I'm replacing was on the front and down to 4/32nd as well. It's due for a rotation in pretty soon. So, technically it's near finished but might could eek out 5k more on the ones on the rear.

I'm currently deciding on replacing with CS5 Grand Touring, Yokohama Avid Ascend, and RT43s.

Remember, the CS5 Ultras are a performance and Touring blend. The mileage ratings seem rather ambitious, though. Pleased with performance but definitely not falling short when overall these tires claim 70k.

PS: The warranty on these V rated is 60k.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back