Defender vs Ecopia?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am about to replace my aging contipro contact tires on my Versa. I am mostly 30% city, 70% highway. I will be doing a lot of summer trips around Texas this summer.
I was wondering which set tires will be the best on quality. I have read mixed results from the Ecopia. Either people love them or hate them. I don't mind the sound of the tire as the contpros I have do plenty and I am not a sissy so it don't bother me
grin.gif

I plan either to get em changed at Sam's or Discount tire, but I am unsure about Sam's since I have read they damage your lugs.

Anyways, thanks for the input.

I'd vote Defender too if those are the only options.

I found out the other day that Sam's sells Continental and General branded tires even though they don't actively stock them yet. Apparently, a recent development. You might find some other good options and probably much better priced ones such as Continental PureContact and General RT43. DT has those readily available usually.

I've been happy with the Defender XT on a Prius and Sienna - it's the Costco/Sam's/BJ's version. The Ecopia might give you slightly better MPG, however they are a glorified Turanza EL400, which is a OEM tire.

Originally Posted By: nthach
I've been happy with the Defender XT on a Prius and Sienna - it's the Costco/Sam's/BJ's version. The Ecopia might give you slightly better MPG, however they are a glorified Turanza EL400, which is a OEM tire.

I read an article that argued that it is a wash between the ecopia and the defender. The ecopia saves mpg slightly, but the defender lasted twice and long and had better grip.

I will consider the ecopias a bit more. Maybe pricing is what lead me to choosing either one. Defenders are my number one choice based on advice on this website and on other forums.

Installed the new Defender T&H tire on my sons Subaru (205/55/16). Only a little over 1,000 miles but they are quiet with a smooth ride. 80,000 mile warranty. Priced about the same as the others. Had good luck on our previous Defenders (mileage and handling) but felt the ride could have been a tad better(different car) so am trying the T&H version.

Sam will not damage your lugs. Walmart uses the correct torque, not an air gun, and Sam's Club probably does, too
smile.gif

Is your tire size 185/65-15?

Since you're in Texas, you don't need all-season tires. You might be better served by the Falken Ziex ZE914 Ecorun.

If you're only considering the two in your OP, get the T+H, since it's a new tire and probably better than the old Ecopia EP422. But really, you should've gotten the tires last week (especially since you're near a DT!) because of the huge rebate promos DT/DTD had!

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Sam will not damage your lugs. Walmart uses the correct torque, not an air gun, and Sam's Club probably does, too
smile.gif

Is your tire size 185/65-15?

Since you're in Texas, you don't need all-season tires. You might be better served by the Falken Ziex ZE914 Ecorun.

If you're only considering the two in your OP, get the T+H, since it's a new tire and probably better than the old Ecopia EP422. But really, you should've gotten the tires last week (especially since you're near a DT!) because of the huge rebate promos DT/DTD had!

I was out of town and I didn't think much about it until after I noticed my tires were looking bad...
crazy.gif

I'm on the second set on my camry. I really like how quiet they are and last forever.

Originally Posted By: Tdog02
I'm on the second set on my camry. I really like how quiet they are and last forever.

Which ones?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back