5W-50 Castrol Edge 5008 Miles in BMW R1200R

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well..with no clutch or gears in my BMW this oil remains a 50wt after 5008 miles and had numbers as good as my past VR-1
15W-40 mix (half 10W-40 & 20W-50). I will use this oil again.
bzw24XV.jpg

Very nice report and thanks for posting it.
Been a busy week at work but I think looks like this oil is formulated more along the lines of a nice HEDO. Just guessing.
Thanks again.

Last edited:
Sheared to 13.xx, just like the 5w50 I used in my Polaris. Supposed to be nearly 17cst to start, according to the pds. I guess something with that wide a spread is just more prone to shear. Doesn't seem to have hurt anything, though. Thank you for the post.

What does your BMW recommend for oil Viscosity? For my Harley they recommend 10w40-20w50 but I was curious if the Castrol 5w-50 would be good since I have a few cases of it. Just wondering if you're worried it might be to thin?

Just curious if you run 10w-40 oil in your Harley in AZ? Would think with the heat 20w-50 be the min weight there?

Have you tried Amsoil 15w-60 or Redline 20w-60 in your bike and any feedback?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ammolab
Well..with no clutch or gears in my BMW this oil remains a 50wt after 5008 miles and had numbers as good as my past VR-1
15W-40 mix (half 10W-40 & 20W-50). I will use this oil again.
bzw24XV.jpg

I do need to point one thing out, Im glad your happy with the oil and there is nothing wrong with the wear numbers but do understand your statement is incorrect regarding viscosity.

This oil does NOT remain a 50wt (not even close), it has sheared to a 40wt and that is fine as you used to mix a 50 and 40 with your previous oils.
Yes, oils in our bikes will shear less then those with shared sumps but there is no getting around an oil with a huge spread like 5/50 will almost always shear down in a motorcycle and yours did, to a 40 weight.
Considering you weakened the VR1 by mixing it actually held up better then the 5/50 which again, would be expected as the spread between the winter rating and hot rating is not as wide.

OILCHART.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Ross, no I have not tried the 10w-40 yet on my Harley but have been thinking about possibly giving it a shot this winter. I ride my motorcycle year round and in the winter the mornings can be as low as 25 degrees. Yes the 20w-50 would even be fine during those temps but I'm curious on the 5w-50 since I have some cases of it and the OP seems to have had a good oil analysis on a similar motor (non-shared sump)

I have thought about running straight SAE 50 or SAE 60 in the summer months but just haven't tried it yet. Maybe I will give the 5w-50 a shot and just do a 2500 mile interval and get a test done?

a 15-50 is a good all around oil for many, but a 10W will start better in winter + the 50W is @ 212 F, since many motorcycles heat oil above that # its even thinner, but real synthetics like redline with a higher natural viscosity index thicken less in the cold + thin less in the heat compared to lesser mineral oils + most synthetics are group III refined CRUDE products that are better but not as good as PAO or Ester base oils

I am not familiar with the bike but if it has dry clutch & separate g/box, then I guess this is the proof of how much stress & demand motorcycle wet clutch puts on the oil. For me, one more reason to buy m/c specific oil.

Originally Posted By: bonjo
I am not familiar with the bike but if it has dry clutch & separate g/box, then I guess this is the proof of how much stress & demand motorcycle wet clutch puts on the oil. For me, one more reason to buy m/c specific oil.

and as i have proven in many many uoa's....buying m/c specific oil proves you are a SUCKER!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back