Magnatec is about the cheapest syn on the shelf

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was visiting an evil empire location yesterday to check out some clearance T5, which they had and I bought. They also had many D+ oil filters on clearance for $3.00 on which I passed and GE 60 watt equivalent LED lamps for $2.00 for a pack of two, which I also bought.
Anyway, I was browsing the oil aisle and noticed that Castrol Magnatec full synthetic was priced within a few cents of ST at under $18.00/jug. They had this oil in 5W-30 and 5W-20.
This seems like an excellent value in that Magnatec has gained many satisfied users here and there are also some nice looking UOAs posted from it.

I noticed the same the last week when I went in. I agree Magnatec has had some very good UOAs posted here, and yes its about as cheap a pre-rebate synthetic is going to get. If Castrol gave out more in their promotions than a beach towel or a tshirt, there would be a lot of folks going for it. But its the POST rebate price that is still kind of high, compared to Pennzoil or Mobil.

I never buy anything based on rebates.
That is the biggest scam. Time and effort and refusals just don't make it worth it.
If it was really a great deal put an instant rebate sticker on the bottle. Then I would be a rebate fan.

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
I never buy anything based on rebates.
That is the biggest scam. Time and effort and refusals just don't make it worth it.
If it was really a great deal put an instant rebate sticker on the bottle. Then I would be a rebate fan.

They can be. Never had a problem with Mobil and Fram over the years. Pennzoil was horrible.

SOPUS seems to have cleaned up their act on this as I've had no issues with their MIRs recently.
If you google rebates, you'll find some interesting academic papers concerning redemption rates.
Generous rebate offers are possible because a lot of people never bother to apply for them.
Still, eighteen bucks with no MIR seems like a very reasonable price for a proven good synthetic oil.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
SOPUS seems to have cleaned up their act on this as I've had no issues with their MIRs recently.
If you google rebates, you'll find some interesting academic papers concerning redemption rates.
Generous rebate offers are possible because a lot of people never bother to apply for them.
Still, eighteen bucks with no MIR seems like a very reasonable price for a proven good synthetic oil.

Agreed especially when you get it at Amazon with Prime and you never leave the house.

I agree that Magnatec is a great deal at $17.88 a 5 quart jug.
I don't see why anybody would buy Edge (black) over it's cheaper brother?
I can see buying the Edge (gold) if you want to go over 10K on an OCI.

MIR are a PITA and have to be at least $7 or more to make it worthwhile. I can't see spending 47 cents on a stamp and waiting 2 months for a $3 rebate.

To me, rebates are just "free money". I won't turn them down, but I also don't really factor then into my buying decision. What matters to me is my 'on-the-spot-cost'. I'll send in the rebate and usually forget about them.... Then they show up weeks later or they never show up.

At this new price I may give Magnatec a go. I like ST oil but if I can buy Castrol for the same price I'm going to do it. I don't like dealing with rebates. Waste of my time really. If companies want to attract my attention just reduce the price at the retail level and be done with it. Don't hire on to a bunch of underpaid people for processing my claim and making me wait two months for my money. Just charge me less and let me out the door. So this Magnatec is a win in my mind.

Originally Posted By: Bud
Never had a problem with Mobil and Fram over the years. Pennzoil was horrible.

Numerous complaints over on the Mobil 1 rebate thread about very slow payments this year and even last year. Pennzoil/QS has kicked their butt on rebates during all of 2016 and now into 2017. They've been faster by far in 2017. Those newbies considering rebates shouldn't focus on old complaints that simply don't occur any more. Read the rebate threads if you want more information. Nearly 5 months gone into 2017 and still waiting on the first "complaint" about someone being denied a rebate. One single "complaint" from 2016 on Pennzoil/QSUD out of probably a hundred or more submissions. And that person was actually very satisfied with their overall rebate experience...and doing them in 2017 as well.

Many of us are willing to spend the 10 minutes needed to post a pair of rebates and get $20-$24 back on our M1 and SOPUS oil purchases. I don't even have to spend 47c for a stamp. It's cheaper, faster, and easier on line....where your submission form and invoice cannot get lost so easily. Make the odds work for you. Get a proper legible receipt, with the proper information (store, oil name/grade/part#, price) and upload it as a photo. If you can read it once it's attached, so can Mobil or SOPUS.

I agree that at $17 Magnatec sure seems like the best "regular" deal out there. But if you don't mind applying with a $12 M1 rebate on $22.88/jug from Walmart ($10.88/jug net or $2.18/qt). Get 2 jugs and save $24. The SPOUS rebates run all year and even with the highest prices in Walmart, you should be able to score jugs of PP for no more than $15, and QSUD for possibly less. Last thanksgiving weekend Walmart was selling PP at under $20/jug which was under $10 net.

The Mobil rebates take a while, but it is worth it. Cheap cheap cheap oil that you don't have to hunt down. I always go to Walmart and send it in online after I snap a quick pic of the receipt.

Thks for advice with MAGNATEC , it's 5w30 seems like a blend (semi synthetic) not like 5w20 and 0w20 that are full synthetic (probably group III though) . I think 0W30 or 0w40 are superior group IV full "real" synthetics and heat in Florida heat maybe too much for 5W30 Magnatec in this DIT application . I plan to keep 7500 miles oil changes...

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
I was visiting an evil empire location yesterday to check out some clearance T5, which they had and I bought. They also had many D+ oil filters on clearance for $3.00 on which I passed and GE 60 watt equivalent LED lamps for $2.00 for a pack of two, which I also bought.
Anyway, I was browsing the oil aisle and noticed that Castrol Magnatec full synthetic was priced within a few cents of ST at under $18.00/jug. They had this oil in 5W-30 and 5W-20.
This seems like an excellent value in that Magnatec has gained many satisfied users here and there are also some nice looking UOAs posted from it.

WAL-MART Fan!
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: M6ser
Thks for advice with MAGNATEC , it's 5w30 seems like a blend (semi synthetic) not like 5w20 and 0w20 that are full synthetic (probably group III though) . I think 0W30 or 0w40 are superior group IV full "real" synthetics and heat in Florida heat maybe too much for 5W30 Magnatec in this DIT application . I plan to keep 7500 miles oil changes...

Magnatec 5w30 is full synthetic now
smile.gif

The change is recent, but full synthetic 5w30 Magnatec is definitely on store shelves.

Originally Posted By: M6ser
Thks for advice with MAGNATEC , it's 5w30 seems like a blend (semi synthetic) not like 5w20 and 0w20 that are full synthetic (probably group III though) ...

All Magnatec oils are labeled as "Full Synthetic" now.

Interesting note, I had a brand new Super Walmart open up around the corner from me today. So of course I have to go check out the auto section.
No Magnatec at all on the shelves, even though the 3 other closes ones all have it. They had a lot of the High Mileage semi syn stuff (in almost identical looking bottles) for the same price as the Magnatec in other stores. Wonder if it is going to go away in the other stores?
Also noticed there was 1 jug of Mobil 1 AP missing, so apparently somebody is buying the stuff, the store had only been open 5 hours when I stopped by. Also a few jugs of regular Mobil 1 missing.

On a side note, this store has a smaller auto section compared to the other Super Walmarts in the area, but has a huge waiting are for the Tire lube center (tons of empty space in it). Kind of the opposite of other TLE. They also had very little shelfspace for ATF, but had a larger section for diesel specific stuff (oils, DEF and such, area labeled as diesel fluids). Worst part about a new store is no clearance section.
frown.gif

I also noticed a Fram Ultra box torn open with a regular Extraguard swapped into it.
spankme2.gif
So much for being in a nicer area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back