flashlight and corroded battery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow...who'd thought there would be so many choices??? zoom/adjuster for sure. Have had BAD experiences with rechargeable.....don't know how many tools I had to get rid of over the years because batteries wouldn't charge and then to replace them, it was cheaper to just buy a whole new set. Been researching myself and amazed at the sizes available versus the amount of lumens some put out. Like my maglight 3D, only about 200 lumens, but an Archer 2V, close to 8-900 and with 2 AA batteries...I just can't get it out of my head that a flashlight has to weigh around 1-2 pounds. These new ones are measured in ounces.

You guys who are slamming the Maglites saying that they're ancient technology, and that LED flashlights are light years more advanced--you don't seem to understand that Maglites have been available with LED heads for a long time now. In fact, I haven't seen one in stores with the old style bulbs in years.

I have a 3 D cell Maglite that I used to carry about 25 years ago, and I bought a new LED head for it several years ago. Not too bad for something that's apparently older than dirt. Yes, I have several tactical LED flashlights that use CR123 batteries, and they're good for their intended purpose.

To the original poster--a new 3 D cell Maglite is only about 35 bucks, so I have to wonder if it's worth the time and effort to rehabilitate one that's completely trashed.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Schmoe
Well, school me....what's a good flashlight?

Surefire, Streamlight, Elzetta, Malkoff, Eagletac, Olight, Fenix, Nitecore, Klarus, Thrunite, Jetbeam.

Price will range from $25 to hundreds of dollars.

Don't forget to check eBay. You can get a used light, especially police style lights (Stinger, Strion, SL20L) for much less then new, if you are on a budget.

candlepowerforums.com if you want to check out flashlight reviews.

Wow...who'd thought there would be so many choices??? zoom/adjuster for sure.

A "zoom adjuster" will get you a much cheaper, lower quality light. None of the "good" lights have "zoom adjusters".

Have had BAD experiences with rechargeable.....don't know how many tools I had to get rid of over the years because batteries wouldn't charge and then to replace them, it was cheaper to just buy a whole new set.

The n ewer lights use NiMH or lithium ion batteries. Not the old NiCad.

For reference, I have an original, first generation Streamlight Strion that is now 14 years old. Still using the original NiMH rechargeable battery, and still works like new.

Originally Posted By: AlaskaMike
You guys who are slamming the Maglites saying that they're ancient technology, and that LED flashlights are light years more advanced--you don't seem to understand that Maglites have been available with LED heads for a long time now. In fact, I haven't seen one in stores with the old style bulbs in years.

Takes D cell batteries = obsolete

The lights themselves are OK for a budget light. The battery source is terrible. D batteries leak terribly, and you should not store a D battery in anything that you care about. Ideally, any item that takes D batteries should be stored empty while not in use. An 18650 battery can be recharged hundreds of times, and for the most part, dont leak.

In 1985, a Maglite was a quality option. Today... not so much. You get a much better light for the same money from someone else.

Interesting notes on D cell batteries, explains why mine leaked. Thing is, I got about a case of D batteries....don't ask how I got them, I just do. Guess I'll start looking at rechargeable differently.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime

Ballast is never obsolete.
wink.gif

What on earth are you guys doing to your Maglites where they're so unreliable and the batteries leak terribly? My 25 year old example has been abused as a baton, driven over by vehicles, even dropped from rooftops several times--and half of all that happened in subzero temperatures. It looks like [censored] now, but still works great.

I agree that D cells are simply alkaline batteries and certainly nothing exotic, but to say that they're obsolete is just ridiculous. Like any alkaline battery, don't leave them in something for extended lengths of time if you're not going to use the device regularly. This isn't rocket science.

Are there better flashlights out there? Absolutely. As I mentioned earlier, a 3 D cell Maglite is only about $35. Don't expect to get a hundred dollar light with the old style Maglite. Maglites are very simple technology, and not very sexy in today's environment where the market is flooded with tacticool lights. That doesn't mean they're garbage though.

Originally Posted By: Garak
A 4D or 6D Maglite works a lot better upside someone's head than a AA LED MiniMag.
wink.gif

Exactly. A maglite is a nightstick that you can take anywhere. Can't protect yourself with an Astro 40SL!

I assume you fully removed the tubing from the rest of the light?

Id first rinse out any crystals, then use a dilute white vinegar mixture with a small scrub brush to get most of the junk out, then chase with a dilute baking soda mixture to chase acid. Then rinse again, and test fit batteries. If the don't fit, I'd force a sanding sponge or a dowel with fine sandpaper wrapped around it, to smooth/remove material.

Once that's done and the batteries fit, Id do a final wipedown with something like crc 3-36, put batteries back in, and call it a day.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime

The lights themselves are OK for a budget light. The battery source is terrible. D batteries leak terribly, and you should not store a D battery in anything that you care about. Ideally, any item that takes D batteries should be stored empty while not in use. An 18650 battery can be recharged hundreds of times, and for the most part, dont leak.

In 1985, a Maglite was a quality option. Today... not so much. You get a much better light for the same money from someone else.

Yet when a chinesium 18650 goes up, in a minimally enclosed charger, the results can be disasterous, far beyond anything a leaking alkaline can do.

I have not yet read all of the replies, so excuse me if I repeat information from others.

I had the exact same thing happen to my Maglite 3-D cell flashlight. I had to drive a long drywall screw into one of the batteries, grab the screw with a long nose vice grips, and pry the battery out. It was really stuck in there.

Once removed, the inner body of the light was corroded and the new batteries would not fit in any more. I used a long philips head screwdriver with a handle that was just slightly smaller than the inside of the flashlight, wrapped the handle with emery cloth taping the starting edge to the handle, chucked it up in a cordless drill and spun it until the bulk of the corrosion was gone. Cleaned it out with compressed air and put in new batteries. Worked pretty well.

Hope this helps.

Originally Posted By: NoNameJoe
Funny, I had a Maglite and it happened to one too. It has never happened to anything else I've owned that required batteries.

Isn't that odd. I had a battery corrode in my Mini Maglite. That's 3 of us. Never had it happen before either.

I got it going again as a matter of principle - even though it's not a great flashlight. I keep it on my bedside table. It would be a good thing to have if there's ever an earthquake at night (we're in a high risk area) and the power is out - which it probably will be.

For me it was a matter of getting the corroded battery out (which was not easy), then cleaning up the contacts. I partially drilled it out which left a burr on the side of the central tube which I polished out with emery cloth. It works as good as new again - not very well.

Originally Posted By: Sluggo0018
I had the exact same thing happen to my Maglite 3-D cell flashlight.

That's four of us now!

I'm starting to wonder if there's a problem with Maglites.

Looking for idea on how I can salvage my maglight 3D flashlight. Wouldn't turn on so took the batteries out...well, had to beat them out. Apparently the last one had leaked and embedded itself within the aluminum tube. Finally got it out, but corrosion is so bad, I can't get new batteries in there. Do I need to soak it is something? The corrosion is way down right next to the light bulb assembly. Been a good light and just updated it to the LED set up, sure would hate to have to trash it.

Do you know what brand battery? if a name brand follow their warranty instructions and they send a check for the cost of a replacement Mag-Lite and you can stop wasting time attempting to fix a destroyed unit and listening to lectures about your poor choice of flashlights.
12.gif

Other alternative, is shipping back to Maglite warranty center with a note explaining you tossed the batteries out, or whatever. They will probably send you a new 3D mag-lite just for the sake of good customer relations. Cost $7 in a USPS flat rate padded envelope. Not a bad deal $30 flashlight for $7.

I sent Mag-lite a well worn 3D few months ago, they totally rebuilt it no questions asked.

What on earth are you guys doing to your Maglites where they're so unreliable and the batteries leak terribly? My 25 year old example has been abused as a baton, driven over by vehicles, even dropped from rooftops several times--and half of all that happened in subzero temperatures. It looks like [censored] now, but still works great.

I agree that D cells are simply alkaline batteries and certainly nothing exotic, but to say that they're obsolete is just ridiculous. Like any alkaline battery, don't leave them in something for extended lengths of time if you're not going to use the device regularly. This isn't rocket science.

Are there better flashlights out there? Absolutely. As I mentioned earlier, a 3 D cell Maglite is only about $35. Don't expect to get a hundred dollar light with the old style Maglite. Maglites are very simple technology, and not very sexy in today's environment where the market is flooded with tacticool lights. That doesn't mean they're garbage though.
+1 THose who claim a Maglight is "junk" without further explanation will try to go 15K on a cheap filter and brag
about it. Personally, a 2 AA cell Maglight with an LED bulb is a fine flashlight, and it's NOT made in China.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back