flashlight and corroded battery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for idea on how I can salvage my maglight 3D flashlight. Wouldn't turn on so took the batteries out...well, had to beat them out. Apparently the last one had leaked and embedded itself within the aluminum tube. Finally got it out, but corrosion is so bad, I can't get new batteries in there. Do I need to soak it is something? The corrosion is way down right next to the light bulb assembly. Been a good light and just updated it to the LED set up, sure would hate to have to trash it.

I would disassemble and see what can be done. Probably sand down the corroded parts so that the battery fits in there.

I had that happen and sent it off to Energizer, they replace the batteries and cleaned it all up at no charge other to send it to them. I contacted them first. I was surprised they did it.

Might try a brake cylinder hone or something like that to clean it out.

Last edited:
I'm assuming you've got it all apart and it's just the main tube that has the corrosion? If it was mine I'd try a stainless steel toothbrush (found at welding or machine shop stores) and Simple Green or the purple cleaner stuff they sell at the big box stores. When that didn't work I'd escalate to a little bit of Ospho or Aluminum Jelly. Last resort would be oven cleaner.

Then you have to rinse it well and dry it out and it might br good to go.

A lot of effort but replacements are expensive and it's rewarding to fix things.

Edit: Rat407 might be on to something with sending it to the battery manufacturer.

Last edited:
Funny, I had a Maglite and it happened to one too. It has never happened to anything else I've owned that required batteries.

For me the cap wouldn't even unscrew, had to use channel locks to twist it off due to the corrosion from the acid. Never did get it back to work so just threw it out and went with rechargeable LED flashlights, never looked back.

Why do you want to save a Mag-light. It would be like asking to save a horse and buggy in the automotive era. Modern LED flashlight using either AA or 18650 or AAA's are light years better.

You can contact maglite, and ask for help.

They will probably ask you to send it in to be looked at. Call me frugal, but I'm not spending $7 to ship a $20 light back to the manufacturer.

Toss it in the trash.

Maglite flashlights are REALLY outdated technology anyways. Honestly, they are junk. I would not buy a flashlight that uses D or C size batteries today. I'd use the opportunity to upgrade your flashlight to something better. Look for something that takes 18650 batteries. Or AA batteries, and you can use rechargeable Eneloop batteries that will last you 10 plus years and will never leak.

Personally, I find it weird that most people are only willing to spend $5 to $20 on a flashlight even though the earth is dark 8 to 12 hours at a time. Lose power for just one night and most folks will realize just how important a good flashlight and battery supply is. And its 2017, candles should not be used as a light source in a power outage.

I keep a 4D cell Maglite in my truck. Had if for years. Yes, new LED's are the way to go but, just in case of a need out and about. A Maglite can be used in self defense. You can hold it and it not slip out of your hand due to the larger light area. Just an FYI

I guess I'm old school...just like the way it feels in my hand and it has some weight. Now, some of ya'll are right, it may be outdated...I just put in a new LED bulb and that sucker has some brightness to it. It's also tough as nails and water tight. But, trying to get that corrosion off sounds like it's going to be a challenge. No, I don't have it down to the bare frame yet. Don't know how to get the light bulb assembly off....is it pressed on? Guess I need to neutralize it first with some vinegar and then see how bad it is. My only complaint on this flashlight is that if you need it to set a certain way when you don't have any free hands, like working on something at night, it's a PITA.

Originally Posted By: Blueskies123
Why do you want to save a Mag-light. It would be like asking to save a horse and buggy in the automotive era. Modern LED flashlight using either AA or 18650 or AAA's are light years better.

A 4D or 6D Maglite works a lot better upside someone's head than a AA LED MiniMag.
wink.gif

Let the battery manufacturer know. They usually have a guarantee on their packages, and Mag will tell you the same thing. But, shipping versus value, all that sort of thing....

Well, school me....what's a good flashlight? Use it for around the yard, lake and beach at night. Also take it with me when traveling....I prefer to drive at night.

Originally Posted By: OldSparks
I only use Eneloops in devices that I want to keep. I've yet to see an Eneloop leak...

Eneloops come in D cells? Never been able to find any.

Originally Posted By: Langanobob
I only use Eneloops in devices that I want to keep. I've yet to see an Eneloop leak...

Eneloops come in D cells? Never been able to find any.

I use the eneloop AA to D cell adapters. I love eneloop batteries. They wont leak. They last forever. They pay for themselves in a few year time.

Sure the battery wont last as long as a d-cell, since it has less amp hours, but that's what spare charged batteries are for.

adaptermignaatobabycr14s.jpg

I've gotten rid of everything that takes D cells, except an older Streamlight Siege lantern that takes D batteries. Thats what I use the AA to D cell adapters in.

Originally Posted By: Schmoe
Well, school me....what's a good flashlight? Use it for around the yard, lake and beach at night. Also take it with me when traveling....I prefer to drive at night.

Do you need a thrower or a flooder or a zoomie/adjustable?

Are you willing to deal with rechargeable batteries? If so, what is your preferred chemistry: NiMH, LiIon?

If you're OK with LiIon, look up Convoy C8 for a basic thrower.
http://www.mtnelectronics.com/index.php?...earch=convoy+c8

For a zoomie, check out Anker LC90 on Amazon - it comes with an 18650 cell and can be recharged just by plugging into a USB port, so you don't have to invest in a charger, if you don't want to.
http://a.co/euUWY8u

Originally Posted By: Schmoe

What is your budget? Olight makes some good affordable quality stuff. The S30R III comes with a high capacity battery and charging dock if you want to make the purchase easier.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1322677-REG/

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis

It can happen

Wow... what happened? Was it overcharged?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back