Clutch Cable Correction

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never looked at my clutch cable properly. Though I'd vaguely noted that it seemed a bit out of alignment, it seemed to be working OK and never got to the top of my "do list".

Ooer. Not much free play (which has probably accelerated clutch wear) and the mis-alignment has resulted in it sawing through the side of the (pot-metal?) outer cable end.

I'll adjust the tension and try and rig some sort of sleeve/asymmetric grommet to correct the alignment.

While I'm on it, what would be the most suitable lubricant? Possibilities (that I already have) might be various oils, silicon spray, spray/standard grease, wax, a combination of the above, or leave it dry. As far as I can tell the cable (or at least the bit I can see) isn't nylon sheathed, so that probably contra-indicates silicon spray.

I would just replace that cable.

With rust on it, it'll wear against the sheath no matter what lube. A new cable will have a bellows that keeps out water, and it'll fit properly. This one is probably stretched in addition to the wear on the sheath.

That looks like it would keep going for quite a while longer even if you did nothing. Maybe bend the bracket or otherwise move something so the cable comes out of the sleeve straighter.

Set up the clutch so the car starts moving with the pedal about halfway up.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
I would just replace that cable.

With rust on it, it'll wear against the sheath no matter what lube.

Might be able to rig some sort of sacrificial sleeve using plastic and/or aluminium. If I can also correct the alignment of the end of the sheath that should reduce wear too.

Replacement of the cable (and perhaps the clutch) is an option, assuming I can get the parts, but its not my first choice.

Originally Posted By: Astro14

A new cable will have a bellows that keeps out water, and it'll fit properly. This one is probably stretched in addition to the wear on the sheath.

Well, it seemed adjusted too tight, (which makes me think there might be or have been an issue with clutch drag, which in turn may imply the clutch is mis-aligned) but my first move will be to set it slacker and see how it does. That circlip thing was in the middle (groove 7 out of 14) so there still seems to be some adjustment range to play with.

Won't know until I try it which might not be for a couple of weeks.

Last edited:
As the clutch disk wears thinner, the cable will get tighter. You have to loosen it a few times during the life of the disk.

Sure, but I think the pedal travel has always been like that. Still, its only an impression. I havn't looked at it properly before.

If using oil is OK I've got some fairly skinny old CPC full synthetic SM stuff I don't have a use for. (I use 15/40 SJ in the engine)

I'm thinking synthetic oil might be less likely to congeal inside the cable and make it sticky. I'll probably try raising the end and letting it drain in under gravity.

It'll take me a while to use it up on the clutch cable though since IIRC I've got about 5 litres
smile.gif

(and about 20 litres Azola hydraulic oil)

Last edited:
Grades in, so time to fiddle with the car, which I'll need to move house soon.

Put some short pieces of split plastic tubing inside the end of the cable sheath, oiled it, and did a wee Spanish Windlass thing using a chopstick to pull it into a better line.

I have several chopsticks doing mechanical duties on this car now. Quite ethnic.

Put quite a lot of slack in the clutch cable. Perhaps over did it (certainly feels odd) but it was almost certainly too tight before, which may have caused damage. From a short test drive, gear change seems OK (apart from a bit of a crunch going into reverse which may be the high idle.

There's a brief squeal, not VERY noticable yet, at the upper end of the acceleration range in each gear, which I think is new and I suppose could be impending clutch failure, though havn't seen any obvious sign of slipping yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back