12.7 Detroit, 11 years on oil

Status
Not open for further replies.

I put about 10k or 15k miles on this oil then quit using the truck. It sat for over ten years, just getting moved around the yard a couple of times per year. I took it for a 30 mile drive before changing the oil and taking the sample.

Pretty sure it was Rotella. I am very pleased with the report, considering all the very dry starts over the last ten years.

His 30 mile run would probably have evaporated any water out. The south doesn't have temperature swings like the north does.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ouch. I wouldn't have ran that truck on the road if I knew the oil was in there that long.
eek.gif

Interesting results non the less.

Why would you leave it parked for 10 years and not sell it or something? Seems like that was just letting money rust / rot away, IMO.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
Not much of an additive package compared to what we have now for oil.

What?
It has >3000ppm Ca!!
Just because it doesn't have B, Ti or Mo doesn't make it a bad oil. It is very likely to be a CI4+ oil. The additive difference between that and CK4 are: less organometallic detergents and Zn/P now, but perhaps "better" non-organometallic additives that are undetectable on an oil analysis.
I will have 800 hrs/28K/3 yrs mi on my Unimog oil when I get it back home this July. Seriously thinking about stretching it to the Benz recommended interval of 1200 hrs (42K mi in my application) though I'll do a UOA for sure when I get back.

Charlie

Last edited:
Very interesting, thanks! I love this for the fact that age had no bearing. What change your oil at 6 months or a year? Cheap insurance? Empirical evidence showing otherwise.

I like this!!

Originally Posted By: Artem
Ouch. I wouldn't have ran that truck on the road if I knew the oil was in there that long.
eek.gif

Interesting results non the less.

Why would you leave it parked for 10 years and not sell it or something? Seems like that was just letting money rust / rot away, IMO.

I like to get the oil fully up to temp before draining and it takes a while in the big trucks. Don't see anything at all wrong with the old oil, I'm sure it didn't hurt a thing.

Never wanted to sell the truck, still don't. Of course I never planned on it sitting around doing nothing for that long, just happened.

Originally Posted By: m37charlie
Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
Not much of an additive package compared to what we have now for oil.

What?
It has >3000ppm Ca!!
Just because it doesn't have B, Ti or Mo doesn't make it a bad oil. It is very likely to be a CI4+ oil. The additive difference between that and CK4 are: less organometallic detergents and Zn/P now, but perhaps "better" non-organometallic additives that are undetectable on an oil analysis.
I will have 800 hrs/28K/3 yrs mi on my Unimog oil when I get it back home this July. Seriously thinking about stretching it to the Benz recommended interval of 1200 hrs (42K mi in my application) though I'll do a UOA for sure when I get back.

Charlie

I agree, Charlie. It's loaded with Ca, and the Zn/Phos is decent too.

The OCI had at or near the average miles for a Blackstone UOA for this engine series, and the only concern is Fe is a tad elevated.

We could theorize, it's possible that there was some minor formation of rust on some parts (cylinders? rings? cam lobes?) that, once scuffed free, got into the oil stream and registered as Fe (rust is just oxidized Fe, after all, and will show up as Fe in a UOA). Because he only started it a few times a year to move it around the yard, it did get some lube pumped up to the top end upon every move. Unless we saw a tear down with clear observations, we're really only guessing here. But I contend that the Fe wear is not objectionable by any means, and given the circumstances, reasonably admirable.

Also, we can presume one of two things happened with the add-pack:
1) it stayed in suspension well
2) it fell out, but re-joined after a good 30 mile run
I don't know which is true, but it really does not matter now, does it? The additives are clearly present

So after 10 years of sitting idle, the only real concern was a slight bump in Fe.

Really puts those "... or 1 year ..." concerns to shame, does it not?

Aren't the old Detroits self changing in that they all used oil? Just curious. Gas engine guys should take note.
grin.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back