Road Rage incident from 2 yrs ago - court actions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Camaro vs. Truck in Batavia, NY crash

I've posted this video before as a classic road rage incident, resulting in a 3 way collision at high way speeds. You can find numerous discussions debating who and what % were at fault. Those are only opinions of us bystanders which carry no weight in a court of law or between insurance companies.

I'm very curious as to what "official" justice was given out by the court(s), especially to anyone else besides the drunk Camaro driver. No doubt they lost their license for a long time and got jail time. I've searched on line twice in the past year and didn't find anything. Even if there was a court finding against the drunk driver, I doubt any fault assigned to others would probably not make the papers. How would the insurance company's have handled this? 100% fault of one party and payouts between them as such?

Any court savvy people know an easy way to find the answers? Where to look? Thanks.

Thanks for that link. I do recall reading that at the time. Still want to know what justice was finally handed out. Charges don't always end up being applied by the court. And more importantly, were any other drivers charged/cited/found guilty? I wonder if the pick up driver saw his insurance rates rise, or get dropped by his insurance company?

Can't address this one specifically but I was rear-ended at a stoplight, high speed, girl was being chased by the cops at the time, in Minneapolis. Cop said it was her sixth DUI, and State Farm was still insuring her.

Looks like this possibly could be the guy? Surprised there is no DUI conviction if it is him.

Crime of Conviction: AGGR UNLIC OP 1, Class E

That's aggravated unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle. A Class E felony is the lowest felony charge available in New York.

http://161.11.133.89/ParoleBoardCalendar/details.asp?nysid=12560216H

Of course I could be incorrect.
33.gif

When an immoveable maroon meets an inpatient fool who runs out of talent = wreck. Most of the fault here certainly is with the Camaro driver. But the truck purposely staying in the way in the left lane did themselves no favors either. I would think in a court of law that the Camaro driver was 100% at fault here. But in reality if that individual had just passed the semi and got over to the right lane then maybe nothing happens at all. Then again maybe the Camaro driver causes an accident another way...

Why didn't that left lane creeper in the truck just simply obey the law and move over to the right lane to let the camaro (who deserved to wreck out,but only hurt himself and no one else for doing a dumb [censored] stunt by passing in the shoulder) speed by? I'm hoping the left lane creeper got ticketed for driving slow in the left lane. Imo,they're both at fault,both doing two different stupid things,and both breaking different laws.

Last edited by a moderator:
The truck could have just let the Camaro by in the beginning which I probably would have because she used her turn signal. The people that just weave like NASCAR with no signals erk me and I have been guilty myself of keeping them pinned and watch them go absolutely crazy in the mirror beating thier steering wheels and freaking out.
Still these people need to relax, really do you need to pass that bad on a shoulder??

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Why didn't that left lane creeper douche bag in the truck just simply obey the law and move over to the right lane to let the camaro douche bag (who deserved to wreck out,but only hurt himself and no one else for doing a dumb [censored] stunt by passing in the shoulder) speed by? I'm hoping the left lane creeper got ticketed for driving slow in the left lane. Imo,they're both at fault,both doing two different stupid things,and both breaking different laws.

I agree....While the Camaro driver is totally in the WRONG, the j/o in the truck has some fault in this too.

Sadly I wouldn't be surprised if he got a slap on the wrist. Our 'justice' system seems pretty backwards these days. There was a news article recently that a lady was intoxicated and ran over a young man who was walking on the side of the road and killed him, just before Christmas. She had prior offenses before this happened. She got out of it with a $800 fine and a year probation.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
Sadly I wouldn't be surprised if he got a slap on the wrist. Our 'justice' system seems pretty backwards these days. There was a news article recently that a lady was intoxicated and ran over a young man who was walking on the side of the road and killed him, just before Christmas. She had prior offenses before this happened. She got out of it with a $800 fine and a year probation.

That is simply outrageous. Where is the value of human life? A life taken is irreplaceable.

That's today's justice system...the bad person has more rights than the victim...

Originally Posted By: Brons2

That is simply outrageous. Where is the value of human life? A life taken is irreplaceable.
The law accommodates charges in such circumstances from involuntary manslaughter on the low side to murder in the first degree on the high side. If the victim was drunk, wearing dark clothing, and walking in the street the charge probably won't be at the high end unless the DA overcharges with the intent to bargain down.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: Brons2

The law accommodates charges in such circumstances from involuntary manslaughter on the low side to murder in the first degree on the high side. If the victim was drunk, wearing dark clothing, and walking in the street the charge probably won't be at the high end unless the DA overcharges with the intent to bargain down.

The victim was an 18 year old boy walking with his brother on the side of the road. Neither of them were drunk, it was during the day. As far as the clothing they were wearing I am not sure. If you saw the mugshot of the woman it doesn't look like her first time drinking either. A similar thing happened to a 26 year old girl a few weeks earlier. Drunk driver crossed over the yellow line and hit her head on and killed her. Driver got a fine and a few years probation. Apparently he had mental illness issues which caused him to drink, which I guess is a get out of jail free card in our society.

I have no sympathy for drunk drivers. They have the choice to drive drunk or get a ride/sleep it off. Just like distracted/texting drivers and road rage like in the video for this thread. They make a choice to take their eyes off the road and/or endanger other people.

Back to the original video...

I think:
The 18-wheeler was a jerk for not slowing down, I bet he was laughing the whole time...
The pickup driver needs to get a ticket for being an a-hole...
And of course the Camaro driver needs to get his license taken away...

Originally Posted By: sasilverbullet

And of course the Camaro driver needs to get his license taken away...

Ironically, he didn't have one to begin with.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Why didn't that left lane creeper in the truck just simply obey the law and move over to the right lane to let the camaro (who deserved to wreck out,but only hurt himself and no one else for doing a dumb [censored] stunt by passing in the shoulder) speed by?

Camaro dude almost ran the truck of the road when he tried to merge into him. Right or wrong, I would do the EXACT same thing as the truck driver. You want to run me off the road, you can stare at my tail lights for the next 40 miles as I drive right next to this beg truck.

I wasted a few hours in airport watching road rage videos. I actually took away just let the driver get by and don't let your personal frustration or pride make you engage these fools. Some of them are off the deep end crazy like this person.

I have witnessed two road rage incidents including motorcyclist who ended up decapitated in France(2nd day married on honeymoon) and another idiot in Maine engaging another car ended up into a sign. I just drove on.

Originally Posted By: NothingNew
Looks like this possibly could be the guy? Surprised there is no DUI conviction if it is him.

Crime of Conviction: AGGR UNLIC OP 1, Class E

That's aggravated unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle. A Class E felony is the lowest felony charge available in New York.

http://161.11.133.89/ParoleBoardCalendar/details.asp?nysid=12560216H

Of course I could be incorrect.
33.gif

So according to this document, he got a sentence of one to three years, and is either out of jail now or waiting for the next parole hearing. One article from around the time of the incident said he got seven charges, thanks to the dashcam video.

Yes, that looks like the guy. Sentence seems appropriate.

The truck driver/instigator probably got nothing other than a warning from their insurance company. I know I wouldn't put up with a guy blocking the left lane for 3 miles, let alone 40 miles. I'd be on the phone to the state police at that point. As I recall reading various reports that day, the Camaro driver had been seen operating at a high rate of speed and recklessly weaving in and out of highway traffic for 30-60 minutes before this video even happened. An accident was probably inevitable. They ran into just the right driver to ensure that it all happened. A classic case of serial drunk driver meets serial road rager. Bad combo as one of them is too far gone to think properly. Any one of the other 3 vehicles involved in the 3 miles of brake checking could have pulled over and called 911.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back