Bad Experience at Gun Store

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al

We have a pretty well known gun shop in my Town (Trop). I don't buy much there bc their prices are high. They are well stocked with cleaning and lube stuff though.

So the other day I noticed they had a decent price on Fiochci Hollow points. So I waited in line and when my time came one of the salesmen (he was higher on the food chain) came over, stepped in front of me and preceeded to tell the cashier that the gun that she sold this guy should have been priced higher. He and the cashier and the guy that bought then began to get it straightened out. I remained patient for say 2 to 3 minutes.

But then I began to stew over how [censored] rude the guy was. So I then dropped the ammo on the counter and told him how rude he was.

I will never go there again. I almost always do business with these guys https://www.lancotactical.com/ They treat me well and know me. Much smaller business.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am getting to the point where bad service will just send me out the door very quickly.

There is a chain fast food place in my town that is just awful about servicing walk in customers, prioritizing the drive throughs over them to a ridiculous degree. I will still stop there if I get a taste for their food and I am within half a mile, but if I get "We'll be right with you!" for 2-3 minutes while they take 3-4 drive through orders I am out of there. I had one girl chase out from behind the counter and out to the parking lot trying to get me to come back, and I asked her politely why it took me leaving to get her to pay any attention to me? There are 7-8 other fast food places within a mile of them, so I can still stuff my gullet with cheap grub without much delay after I leave.

Wonder how many people walk out on Wal Mart's slow,3 to 4 deep checkouts? I don't see many,amazing how people will endure for some things and not others.

In a retail environment, expect uneducated [censored] hole employees that treat people like [censored].

I won't hesitate to call out any jerk employee. I had to do this about 6 months ago.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
In a retail environment, expect uneducated (bleep) employees that treat people like (bleep).

My youngest kid is taking a summer college course and was home for the weekend. His car needed a few parts and I was informed of it today. (Memorial Day, of all days) Because of a greater selection, I usually get most of my stuff from RA or Amazon, but since things were needed now, I grudgingly went into the local auto parts store that was open. I won't call out the name on here publicly, but it's a national chain, so you get the picture.
I happened to have an 18 girl wait on me (nothing against women, they also have another there that is very knowledgeable) that knew nothing about auto parts and was completely clueless. I realize their cream-of-the-crop workers are somewhere other than working at a store today, but the help behind the counter in this parts store is getting to be really bad.

A few years ago I stopped in a small gunshop to look for some supplies. The two owners were working, but spent their time [censored]-ing with some friends. I even raised my arm to get some attention, one owner looked right at me, then resumed talking with buddy. I never returned, it went under new ownership a year later.

I like mom and pops stores for that very reason, it's about reputation and people skills with them l, not the bottom line. I'm always willing to pay more to people that put in an honest day's work.

I know the feeling, we had a gun store a few towns over from my house. I ended up going in didn't really see anything that caught my eye for a reasonable price but decided to pick up some ammo.

Long story short I waited in line for awhile got the ammo and went to check out. Women at register started to ring me up but walked off half way thru and left the register open. Came back a couple of mins later and handed me some change.

It was off by a lot so I thought maybe the ammo was marketed wrong and ask her what the price was. Without even acknowledging my question she stated it was on the ticket and walked off.

She gave me the wrong change. I told her it wasn't correct and she paused called over a manager and they talked for a second. He asked me what I gave her and I told him. He asked her again and she said she gave me the right amount.

I was polite about it and told them I could wait if they would like to check the cameras. The man told her to give me the difference and she did with this odd smirk and then said "it's only $10 we will just take the loss".

Admitted I lost my cool by this point and wrote my number on the back of the ticket and handed it to the man/manager. Told him I was certain she gave me the wrong amount and told him they are welcome to call me that night if the register was in fact short and I would pay the difference first thing next morning when they open.

I never got a call from them but I never went back.

Local gun stores can be the worst. Like they're doing you a favor by selling you something.

Originally Posted By: Dyusik
I like mom and pops stores for that very reason, it's about reputation and people skills with them l, not the bottom line. I'm always willing to pay more to people that put in an honest day's work.

I agree 200% I do that all the time. We have a hardware store in our town I know I could get almost anything cheaper (but not a whole lot) They stock everything:refrigerators washers air conditioners, bunches of mowers. In the last 5 years I have bought 2 mowers, a Speed Queen washer, a dehumidifier...probably more. This doesn't include smaller stuff I get almost every week. And they have very great people to help and they service what they sell.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
Local gun stores can be the worst. Like they're doing you a favor by selling you something.

Yup. There's one near my job that was supposedly founded "because the owners were frustrated by the poor service at other gun stores". Um, yeah. It was fine for 6 months, then it went down the tubes. They've got the same bad attitude as most gun stores. Now, instead of conveniently stopping by there during lunch or after work, I spend my money elsewhere
21.gif

I went into a local place that I drive by every day to make a purchase. I knew exactly what I wanted and they had it sitting there in the case. Easy sale. Unfortunately, I couldn't get anyone to help me or even acknowledge that I was there. I walked out and went to Cabela's and they lost out on a $500 sale. I prefer to support local small businesses, but it makes it kind of difficult when you're standing there ready to give them your money and no one is willing to help you.

shut_up_and_take_my_money-t2.jpg

I have had the same experience at my local gun stores...always thought it was because I was young and no one took me serious as a potential buyer. My first gun purchase was a Beretta 9mm and I stopped by to ask a question about something and the guy was being a jerk about how much lubricant was on it. It wasn't overdone by any means looking back at it...though more on the liberal side. Never purchased at that store nor will ever again. Have since moved on to custom 1911s, etc and they never saw a dime from me again.

Last edited:
I dunno but when I go to a gun store, I'm all tacted out with camo and plate carrier vest, wearing Oakley's....then talk about shooting government agents coming at me in Bradley tanks and the New World Order gun confiscation.

Not to mention while the guy is showing me this gun, I'm all cocky and flip out my Bench-Made Anthem assisted folder, or my Custom made tactical knife.

I get respect. I'm guessing Gun Stores feel like you just trolling them, and going to buy your stuff elsewhere. Make friends with your FFL dealer, go shooting, other 2nd Amendment activities.

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
I dunno but when I go to a gun store, I'm all tacted out with camo and plate carrier vest, wearing Oakley's....then talk about shooting government agents coming at me in Bradley tanks and the New World Order gun confiscation.

Bradley tanks? I thought they were armored personnel carriers/fighting vehicles, not really tanks. Anyway, if you start talking like that, you mind as well mention your list of people who will be first against the wall in the revolution.

I'll drop the cart and walk if it's not reasonable. I don't care how much is in there. Another one of mine is "no price, no purchase". If retailers can't either mark the item or put a price on the shelf I can find ... I do look ... I will drop the item right there, leave without buying anything. I'm not going to reward retailers for poor management or service.

The unfortunate part is if they are bad, they don't even notice that they just lost a sale. Part of the disease, I guess.

It's funny, one of the cultural differences I found visiting many areas of the US, I've been to about 30 states, but people in America tolerate lineups at retail way more than folks around here do. Three deep and people start leaving, or if there is any lineup at all ... even one person ... at a sit-down eatery people just turn and out the door.

Just one of those things, not really important but you notice when things are much different than what you're used to. Stuff like that cost Target a few billion dollars when they tried to enter Canada.

Originally Posted By: Al
.....So the other day I noticed they had a decent price on Fiochci Hollow points. So I waited in line and when my time came one of the salesmen (he was higher on the food chain) came over, stepped in front of me and preceeded to tell the cashier that the gun that she sold this guy should have been priced higher.

This doesn't make sense. If she was the cashier, it's not her job to price the merchandise. She is there to ring it up, collect the money, bag it, and send the customer on his way. He was the salesman. It's his job to see the guns get sold at the correct price, paperwork and sales receipts get properly executed, serial numbers on the gun match the box it came in, etc. Unless she outright made an error, and rang the gun incorrectly, I don't see how this has anything to do with her.

Originally Posted By: billt460
Originally Posted By: Al
.....So the other day I noticed they had a decent price on Fiochci Hollow points. So I waited in line and when my time came one of the salesmen (he was higher on the food chain) came over, stepped in front of me and preceeded to tell the cashier that the gun that she sold this guy should have been priced higher.

This doesn't make sense. If she was the cashier, it's not her job to price the merchandise. She is there to ring it up, collect the money, bag it, and send the customer on his way. He was the salesman. It's his job to see the guns get sold at the correct price, paperwork and sales receipts get properly executed, serial numbers on the gun match the box it came in, etc. Unless she outright made an error, and rang the gun incorrectly, I don't see how this has anything to do with her.

Apparently she rang up the order previously. There are a number of sales stations. I agree it makes no sense. An d I don't really job w the story. Nor do I care

Originally Posted By: Leo99

And usually mis-informing, selectively informing or providing very slanted information all while fleecing your wallet and mistreating you.

I stumbled across this thread and immediately was intrigued... just because I too had a similar bad experience recently at a local gun shop. This gun shop has been in business in my neck of the woods for quite some time, but every time I've gone in there I always feel like I'm being "mean mugged". The associates give you the stare down as you browse... not engaging you in conversation unless you engage them, and even then it's fairly direct and without much energy. Yes their prices are decent, and their selection OK, but it's never been a welcoming environment at all.

Long story short - I recently purchased a new shotgun from Gallery of Guns, and decided to try a different (newer) local shop that I've heard a good reputation developing for, and wow! Night and day difference. The folks working the counters were kind, engaging, welcoming, etc. Simple phrases like they used such as "make yourself at home, and feel free to browse and ask any questions" can quite literally go a million miles in my book. I never felt out-of-place, awkward, etc. They shot the breeze with me while finalizing my transaction, effectively multitasked with other customers without making me feel de-valued or left behind, and the overall vibe of the store had good energy. I complimented them on the store experience, and let them know that as long as they keep up the good work - I'll be giving them my business going forward. I've even recommended them to a few friends just due to the "wow" experience I had.

Just goes to show how we all become complacent in thinking the "usual mediocre" experience we receive from some businesses is supposed to be normal, when it really shouldn't be. We should reward those that obviously care about providing a tip-top experience to their customers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back