Well I've done it again, now what ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm getting older and Pop will pass soon. So I'm the "leader" of the remaining generation. As such, I have no need of five vehicles, three bikes, two boats and who knows what else. They were the "tools" of a previous life with long'ish highway commutes, etc.

So my wife and I are starting to seriously downsize the fleet. She never cared much about driving or riding in the big block 1970 Chevy truck. To crude, old, tough and hard. It built the later bits of the house and hauled the top soil, etc. But a buddy wants it, so he bought it off me.

My neighbor up the hill came over a few weeks ago and wanted to buy the race car project, so it rolled away last week. I won't need the Saab 9-5 anymore after Pops is gone (it's soon as he's 97 and sleeping most of the time ...). No more bay area nasty highway commutes (
smile.gif
). And we have her XJ6 as a run around sedan
smile.gif

So this weekend we bought a 1993 F-150 extended cab with 87K on the odo. Garage kept and loaded with almost every option including 4x4, towing package,and a bed liner. So won't need the big Bronco any more either. The new truck will tow and launch the boat from any ramp. I'll get the Bronco sold in a month or so.

The question is, what oil should I put in the "new" F-150? 5.7 V8 with auto trans. Don't know if it's roller cam or not ... My wife has driven it, but not me yet (still on elder care this weekend ...).

Oil has changed since 1993. That's a quarter of a century ago ... The owners manual will list something that is not really in production any more. I've tried M1 many times in many different vehicles and never like the cold start clatter, so that's out. Not enough miles for Maxlife, but maybe enough age on the seals and gaskets ...

Whadda ya think ??

Cool you've got yourself a good truck. I don't have the same engine, but I use Valvoline Synpower now with no issues in my f150. I picked the 5w30 flavor. I don't bother with the high mileage varieties.

sounds like a sweet ride. id change the oil and filter, trans fluid and filter, fuel filter, air filter, bleed brakes, and drain n fill the coolant.

I would use castrol gtx but obviously there's many good options.

Your new truck should be a 5.8 (351W) or a 5.0 (302) if it's a 5.8 it will be a flat tappet camshaft. If it's a 302/5.0 it's a roller camshaft. Either way I'd run a 10w30 HDEO in it year round, Delo/Delvac/Rotella/etc. It's a low stressed V-8 with low spring pressure it will live a long life on just about anything to be honest. I really liked that generation Ford truck, I haven't had a use for any of the newer more complex OHC Ford MOD motor stuff. Enjoy!

This would be a 351W, no?
I have one of these in my '94 E350 with a little over 82K.
Mine drank the QTP 10W-30 I first used in it, so I then tried Maxlife 10W-30, which yielded a quart and a half of oil consumption in 5K. It's now on Durablend 10W-30 and about 2.2K into this OCI, consumption also seems on track for a quart and a half over 5K.
Just my observations of this old engine.

Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
Your new truck should be a 5.8 (351W) or a 5.0 (302) if it's a 5.8 it will be a flat tappet camshaft. If it's a 302/5.0 it's a roller camshaft. Either way I'd run a 10w30 HDEO in it year round, Delo/Delvac/Rotella/etc. It's a low stressed V-8 with low spring pressure it will live a long life on just about anything to be honest. I really liked that generation Ford truck, I haven't had a use for any of the newer more complex OHC Ford MOD motor stuff. Enjoy!

Delo or Rotella is my choice.

Oil is oil, bro. Circle of life, blah, blah. Give pops a hug and take him for a ride.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
I'm getting older and Pop will pass soon. So I'm the "leader" of the remaining generation. As such, I have no need of five vehicles, three bikes, two boats and who knows what else. They were the "tools" of a previous life with long'ish highway commutes, etc.

So my wife and I are starting to seriously downsize the fleet. She never cared much about driving or riding in the big block 1970 Chevy truck. To crude, old, tough and hard. It built the later bits of the house and hauled the top soil, etc. But a buddy wants it, so he bought it off me.

My neighbor up the hill came over a few weeks ago and wanted to buy the race car project, so it rolled away last week. I won't need the Saab 9-5 anymore after Pops is gone (it's soon as he's 97 and sleeping most of the time ...). No more bay area nasty highway commutes (
smile.gif
). And we have her XJ6 as a run around sedan
smile.gif

So this weekend we bought a 1993 F-150 extended cab with 87K on the odo. Garage kept and loaded with almost every option including 4x4, towing package,and a bed liner. So won't need the big Bronco any more either. The new truck will tow and launch the boat from any ramp. I'll get the Bronco sold in a month or so.

The question is, what oil should I put in the "new" F-150? 5.7 V8 with auto trans. Don't know if it's roller cam or not ... My wife has driven it, but not me yet (still on elder care this weekend ...).

Oil has changed since 1993. That's a quarter of a century ago ... The owners manual will list something that is not really in production any more. I've tried M1 many times in many different vehicles and never like the cold start clatter, so that's out. Not enough miles for Maxlife, but maybe enough age on the seals and gaskets ...

Whadda ya think ??

The hot engine viscosity part of the oil weight will not have changed from when the engine was built.

I am assuming any good 5W30 or 10W30.

Look it up on Amsoil web site.

Yeah, it's a 351. So according to P3 it's a flat tappet... I can live with that as I have all my life. In SBF's I've only ever built 289's or 302's. I've owned very few roller cams and most of those were in big trucks ...

Yeah, I also have no use for more modern trucks. I looked and looked and I tried to like the jelly bean trucks. But, I'm to old school and like my trucks more square'ish. What I really like is that it's pre-ODB-II, so smog test issues are much less of a problem
smile.gif

Last edited:
A HDEO 10W30 or GTX 10W30 as GTX has given some impressive VOA's on PQIA recently.

Then hold your Pop's hand and tell him a story of something fun you both did together when you were young.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
Oil is oil, bro. Circle of life, blah, blah. Give pops a hug and take him for a ride.

Pop's ain't ridin in our stuff any more. He's in bed for the duration. He's comfy and he has his cowboy channel, but he's not goin ridin any more
frown.gif

He was born in 1919 on a ranch and lived through the Depression. He's as tough as they come. All through the Pacific during WW-II. Decorated for bravery. Came home and built a life and home in the Santa Cruz Mtns. AFL-CIO Local Three and ran a dozer all his life, sometimes in places others wouldn't. But it's nearing the end. He knows it and so do we. We just try to keep him comfy, and try not to cry too much ...

With the it being at 87k, you could go with Mobil 1 HM or, you could go with a blend like Motorcraft. That's what I'm running in my bronco 5.0 atm. If your not seeing evidence of leaks though, any quality 10w30 or 5w30 oil would likely do.

Your Dad sounds a lot like mine was. Mine was born in 1917 and was on the USS Enterprise in WW2. Been gone almost 30 years now but, there's not a day passes I don't still think about him. I'm glad you've been blessed to be with him all these years.

Originally Posted By: Leo99

Pop's ain't ridin in our stuff any more. He's in bed for the duration. He's comfy and he has his cowboy channel, but he's not goin ridin any more
frown.gif

He was born in 1919 on a ranch and lived through the Depression. He's as tough as they come. All through the Pacific during WW-II. Decorated for bravery. Came home and built a life and home in the Santa Cruz Mtns. AFL-CIO Local Three and ran a dozer all his life, sometimes in places others wouldn't. But it's nearing the end. He knows it and so do we. We just try to keep him comfy, and try not to cry too much ...

BrocLuno,

Sorry to hear about your father. My Grandfather was also a WWII vet, European campaign Battle of the Bulge survivor he passed a month ago. Part of the greatest generation like your father. He too was sleeping a lot towards the end and I can appreciate how tough that journey is for family.

The 351 held out with flat tappets much longer than the 302 did. The only exception was the Lighting trucks and a few 1997-1998 F250/350 with the 351. One thing to watch for when sourcing an oil filter, if the truck uses a sandwich oil cooler at the oil filter it takes a different oil filter than the standard Ford PH-8A. If no oil cooler the standard oil filter applies. Enjoy the truck!

I have a few jugs of Maxlife, so that's covered for now.

Pops a bit more awake today, so no crisis yet
smile.gif

I have not personally touched the truck. My wife went to test it, approved and put a deposit on it. I'll pick it up Wednesday evening
smile.gif

1993%20F-150%204x4.jpg

The truck is too nice to use just any maintenance routine. Was always garaged, so all the rubber and moldings are good. No leaks (except the pan gasket, minor weep ...). So I need to keep it that way.

Will check on filter fitment. Good call P3
smile.gif

With only 83K, I need to get it to 200 w/o loosing to much compression ... Main focus is on ring wear. Wish I could find a modern paper on reduced ring wear. The ones I have read are all back years (published in the 90's). Mono-grades were the key back then. Don't know if things have changed much yet ...

Delo or Delvac - you probably have some already ... they are both lower NOACK and price than T6 ... 4ish HTHS for your towing or sand prowling
wink.gif

I have a few jugs of Maxlife, so that's covered for now.

Pops a bit more awake today, so no crisis yet
smile.gif

I have not personally touched the truck. My wife went to test it, approved and put a deposit on it. I'll pick it up Wednesday evening
smile.gif

1993%20F-150%204x4.jpg

The truck is too nice to use just any maintenance routine. Was always garaged, so all the rubber and moldings are good. No leaks (except the pan gasket, minor weep ...). So I need to keep it that way.

Will check on filter fitment. Good call P3
smile.gif

With only 83K, I need to get it to 200 w/o loosing to much compression ... Main focus is on ring wear. Wish I could find a modern paper on reduced ring wear. The ones I have read are all back years (published in the 90's). Mono-grades were the key back then. Don't know if things have changed much yet ...

HTHS and a good dose of AW.. A3/B4 and/or HDEO...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back