No hot start

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a JD mower with a B&S 6.75 hp OVV motor that does not like to start when hot. If I go in the house for say 10-15 min and then try and start it no luck I have tried no primer and priming. The motor seems to have good compression does not use any oil. The spark plug is about two years old should I replace plug? What you all think?

Replace the plug. It COULD be the coil. When they are going out they often dont start when hot. Regap the plug to 0.020 from 0.030 to see if that helps.

If its not the spark, then it could be the carb. They use super lean carbs now thanks to the EPA which can make hot starts a problem.

Also, check the autochoke for proper functioning.

My perfectly functioning chondas (plural) need a little choke to start hot. Just the way they're set up.

+1

Often they are just a touch tight and will bleed enough back to the intake when hot to mess up the mixture. I run all my air cooled 4-stroke valves on the loose side of spec and they all run fine
smile.gif

It may also be the ignition as stated. Do you have a ignition tester? This one will do and tell you a lot: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Adjustable-High-Energy-Ignition-Spark-Plug-Tester-Wire-Coil-Circuit-Diagnostic-/142196993245?hash=item211b99ecdd:g:NPwAAOSwA3dYhwt1
smile.gif

I had an issue with a 2 stroke snow thrower that would do the same thing....after much trouble shooting I discovered that the needle seat in the carb leaked when hot. To test if it's leaking fuel, shut it off and immediately try and restart it. In my case if I waited more than 2 minutes it won't start unless I waited 20 minutes or so.

Originally Posted By: 1989outlaw
The gas cap is already vented opening it will NOT cure vapor lock

Could still be vapor lock... just worked on a john deere about 2 months ago with a no hot start and hot stall complaint... found that the vent (a small hole in the center of the fuel cap) was plugged with what appeared to be mud of all things. Cleared the vent hole and the no hot start hot stall issues were gone. Owner very happy! So, If the OP is noticing that the engine seems to loose power and/or stalls after running for some period of time (happens quicker with a full tank vs a near empty tank) check your fuel cap!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back