I bought way too much oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dude, this isn't "kind of weird" but downright psychiatric. Do you have someone to talk to on a regular basis about all this, its really hoarding beahvior at it's not good.

Originally Posted By: Kira
Having all that oil "in your face" will wear on you. Better to rid yourself of it.

Clear floor, clear mind. I'll be right over!

I'm to far away to help, but I'd like to
laugh.gif

First thing I'd do with all that oil is shorten the change interval to 5,000 miles or so. Yes, it can go longer, but why... You have so much you'll not run out before you are in an old folks home ...

Might as well make the motors happy while you can
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: johnnylove
Originally Posted By: researcher
wow.. you are a true BITOG member! You definitely fit in with the rest of us!
01.gif

and those spark plugs, they look familiar, are you driving a civic?

EDIT: duh you mentioned civic.. but I was thinking 96-2000 model year
smile.gif
just looked familiar

Yes, 2004 Honda Civic. I plan on getting a new model or even an Accord, Oil filters still fit just not the air filters.

Oil is something that truly makes the difference in the longevity of a vehicle.

I'm glad I finally posted. Some of the threads on here are actually pretty funny. This site is known for having a strong personality
smile.gif

a "strong personality".. oh ya! In a good way! And an 04 Civic.. yeah I thought those plugs and air filters looked familiar! My friend had an 05. Glad you chose to join up!
cheers3.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gfh77665
I would post it on CraigsList and sell about half or 2/3 of it for a profit.

No need to take a loss.

Just return to Walmart, AAP or AutoZone etc. As long the UPC is still in the system you can get a refund, albeit in store credit and at the current price, which may be more or less then you paid.

However, you'll have to show photo ID and don't return too much in short period or the system may deny more refunds for 60 days or so.
coffee2.gif

I appreciate the replies.

I just wanted to share because no one else besides you guys know this oil buying binge I went on. To be truthful I'd be very embarrassed if anyone saw how much oil I had. It's not like I couldn't help myself.

Changing my oil and testing my oil and researching why certain oil types are better is very satisfying to me. Just like how I like mowing my yard, cutting the grass, the exercise, looking at my lawn afterward... Just something very satisfying about it.

Thanks again. Oh, and why would I even bother seeing a professional with my psychiatric problem, with what professionals charge today I could use that to buy 6-8 more 5 qt jugs of motor oil. lol.
laugh.gif
grin.gif
smirk.gif
That's a joke btw.

I'm out!
whistle.gif

I keep about 2-3 years worth in stock. You never know when the AutoZone clearance sales or Mfg Rebates will go by the way side. None of that is guaranteed. It would stink to have to start paying $25-$35/jug net all the time in the near future. And it could happen. That certainly won't happen with the OP. But I were him, I'd try to reduce the stash by selling out synthetic jugs around $10 each. If you actually knew people that used the stuff and were typically paying full retail being oblivious to sales/rebates....they'd fly out of your house.

Fwiw, at Walmart this weekend with $22.88 pricing, you can get jugs of Mobil 1 at $10.88 net after rebate.

Just sharing one of my dark secrets, I haven't bought any new oil for a while btw. Thing is, I've got about $700 of oil here. Far less than the cost of an automobile and my engine is guaranteed to stay clean.

Was this clearance/sale/rebate oil or did you pay full price?
If full price, that is odd.
The reason I (and many others) hoard is as mentioned before, amazing deals on oil.
Getting syn oil for the same price, often times even less, compared to conventional is hard to pass up.

Second, if your going to brag about a stash, at least get it organized and presentable.
lol.gif

full-4879-7804-image.jpeg

This is 110 qts that I paid probably $120 total for, retail price around $500?
None of the qt bottles were more than $2.50/bottle (most a lot less, some even free).
None of the jugs were more than $12.50/jug (I actually made a few cents on the QSUD, clearance for $9/jug, had a $10 rebate).
I am good for ~3 years (my 2 vehicles, + 2-3 family vehicles).

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
I got approximately 110 quarts and won't buy any more closeout oil.

I have said that before (yet see above, with the freshly added Valvoline boxes).

Originally Posted By: car54
I did the same, but Mobil1 Turbo Diesel Truck, back when it was on sale for $12.99 per gallon at Autozone. I got hundreds of gallons stashed all over the house, garage, shop, etc.

Slowly using it, one gallon at a time in my TDI (every 10,000 miles), 12 gallons at a time in my Caterpillar RV (every 25,000 miles)

oil.jpg

I had to do a double take, I did not realize those were 5 qt jugs, not single qt bottles.
Even at 12 gallons a change, "hundreds" of gallons seems like a lot (unless your doing 2 changes a year).

Find a C/B therapist. Compulsive behaviors are not hard to fix. You just need to sit down with a therapist and discuss why you can't pass up a "deal" on motor oil. Shouldn't take over five sessions at probably $120 a visit. Stay out of the automotive section.(Free)
smile.gif

I appreciate the replies.

I just wanted to share because no one else besides you guys know this oil buying binge I went on. To be truthful I'd be very embarrassed if anyone saw how much oil I had. It's not like I couldn't help myself.

Changing my oil and testing my oil and researching why certain oil types are better is very satisfying to me. Just like how I like mowing my yard, cutting the grass, the exercise, looking at my lawn afterward... Just something very satisfying about it.

Thanks again. Oh, and why would I even bother seeing a professional with my psychiatric problem, with what professionals charge today I could use that to buy 6-8 more 5 qt jugs of motor oil. lol.
laugh.gif
grin.gif
smirk.gif
That's a joke btw.

I'm out!
whistle.gif

Great reply. Made me smile.
11.gif

I've browsed this form as a lurker for a while, thought it would be fun to contribute.

Also, my plan was after running out of oil I would already have an electric car by then...

Ok, OK, you have enough oil! Here's your BITOG membership card!

Since you're contemplating an electric car, here's a tip: If you buy a Chevy Volt, and run it on electricity most of the time, you'll only have (get?) to change oil once every 2 years. I'd try to calculate how long your stash would last, but I only have an 8 digit calculator handy.

Go buy one of those "waste" oil heaters and you're all set for the North Korean nuke, zombie apocalypse or an Al Gore presidency. Genius, people will say, genius.

Originally Posted By: Rock_Hudstone

No need to take a loss.

Just return to Walmart, AAP or AutoZone etc. As long the UPC is still in the system you can get a refund, albeit in store credit and at the current price, which may be more or less then you paid.

However, you'll have to show photo ID and don't return too much in short period or the system may deny more refunds for 60 days or so.
coffee2.gif

What "loss"?

Ok, so I'm a looong time lurker also, and have a stash of my own, but NOTHING compared to what some of you other guys have, but just thought I would share...

I also have another 5L jug that will not fit on the shelf, so I have that stored in another closet. I also have about 8 oil filters, a mix of 3 Mobil 1's, and 5 Fram Ultras.

I'm a PP guy myself, but also grabbed some QSUD as its practically the same stuff. Read up on the Enclave forums that our DI engines seem to like PP better than Mobil 1? And around here, most jugs are 5L, while Mobil 1 is 4.73L? Most manufacturers have upped the quantity to 5L while Mobil has stayed at 4.73L.

I also added a pic of some old QS that I still have - unopened and in the cool clear bottle! its SJ rated

Originally Posted By: Rock_Hudstone

No need to take a loss.
coffee2.gif

What "loss"?

Well, that assumes he purchased at a hefty discount and can sell it for more than he paid.

if you want to change whatever is upsetting you there are middle grounds that don't require a whole lot of money. you can just go on Amazon and buy a self help book or two.

however the downside is you have to put in the work yourself to go through the exercises to get to the bottom of whatever bothers or upset you and why, It will take longer before you achieve whatever change you wish would happen.
without outside help it may take more willpower and effort to read theough the different exercises, and try and error different techniques until one helps you.

if you are interested look for cbt therapy self help books as a starting point. Ultimately you need to make the leap to put in work if you want to change. if you order the books and they just sit on the shelf nothing is going to happen

Last edited:

Originally Posted By: blupupher

Originally Posted By: car54
I did the same, but Mobil1 Turbo Diesel Truck, back when it was on sale for $12.99 per gallon at Autozone. I got hundreds of gallons stashed all over the house, garage, shop, etc.

Slowly using it, one gallon at a time in my TDI (every 10,000 miles), 12 gallons at a time in my Caterpillar RV (every 25,000 miles)

oil.jpg

I had to do a double take, I did not realize those were 5 qt jugs, not single qt bottles.
Even at 12 gallons a change, "hundreds" of gallons seems like a lot (unless your doing 2 changes a year).

They are actually one gallon jugs, only the diesel oil comes in 1 gallon, everything else is 5 quarts.

It doesnt seem like a lot... it is a lot. I only use a few gallons a year at most, so it most likely will last me decades.

Originally Posted By: HOG

I'm a PP guy myself, but also grabbed some QSUD as its practically the same stuff. Read up on the Enclave forums that our DI engines seem to like PP better than Mobil 1? And around here, most jugs are 5L, while Mobil 1 is 4.73L? Most manufacturers have upped the quantity to 5L while Mobil has stayed at 4.73L.

Mobil is 4.4 L up here, along with some Castrol. I wish it were 4.73 L. At least that's 5 U.S. quarts, and not some abomination pulled out of thin air.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back